Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite a warning from the Senate sergeant-at-arms for senators to remain silent as the Democratic impeachment managers laid out their case against the president, a so-called quote read by lead impeachment manager Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) elicited several responses from Republican senators Friday evening.

Rep. Schiff was referencing a CBS news report claiming a Trump ally had warned GOP senators, "vote against the president and your head will be on a pike." But many senators responded to Rep. Schiff, saying aloud, "That's not true."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bronso...-pike-n2560097

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I wish you could hear what Schiff is saying. 'here right matters'. And unfortunately, that is no longer true. Yet you, MM and others mock it, like its a joke.

It is no joke.
      No, it's not a joke. And sadly those supporting Trump are the very same conservative Christians that put him in power in the first place. It seems that "right" takes second place to getting what they want come what may.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yes, it actually does. There will be no removal from office without REPUBLICANS being convinced.
        No. You said that "overwhelming evidence" has to convince the Republicans in the Senate.

It doesn’t. It has to convince people like you so that the republican senators will not alienate Trump supporters at the ballot box and lose their seat. And people like you will not be convinced by anything against Trump because he gives you what you want, particularly the judiciary. So, it means you conservative Christians are defending a lying adulterer who attempted to extort a foreign leader for his own personal benefit. But that’s a small price to pay, right?

Wow, you mean... this is POLITICAL???? Like I've been saying all along?
        It’s also an issue of ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ as Schiff noted in his masterful closing speech, but this seems of little concern to the likes of you.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Do you HONESTLY believe that Aunt Nancy makes ANY decisions that are not based on what will help the Democrats keep or gain power?

From resisting impeachment, to authorizing it, to withholding the articles of impeachment..... do you think she's just a crazy old woman?
          It’s just tactics. Her heart is in the right place.

BTW, your man Trump should take his dear wife to the movies, go see ‘Dark Waters’, there to reflect on the ‘good old days’ so long as he doesn’t start thinking “when’s this guy gonna turn green?”
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
            Just to clarify I’m saying that if the senate trial is about whether the house decision is cause for removal or not then I agree the house has no say.

However if the senate trial is about whether the house decision is questionable then shouldn’t the house have a right to say ‘ok we gave you our evidence but if you’re still not convinced then let us present more evidence’?
            Since it's not a real court trial, the prohibition against "double jeopardy" may not strictly apply, so they could probably try again with more evidence.

I would almost be willing to bet that they will indeed try that.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              Oxmixmudd it was a report about Russia hacking the DNC that caused Trump to make his JOKE so Trump did not ask them to do it they had already done it. thinking Americans understood the joke. Sheesh can't anyone on the left understand humor anymore.
              Dysfunction of the humor center of the brain is one of the first and most tragic evidences of TDS.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Bernie is complaining that being off the campaign trail is putting him at an unfair disadvantage. One begins to wonder if releasing the articles to the House when they did was a coordinated scheme to give Joe a boost in the primary.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2020...-an-advantage/
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  No, it's not a joke. And sadly those supporting Trump are the very same conservative Christians that put him in power in the first place. It seems that "right" takes second place to getting what they want come what may.
                  So absolutely predictable. 952nd verse, same as the first!!!!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    No. You said that "overwhelming evidence" has to convince the Republicans in the Senate.
                    Yes, it does.

It doesn’t. It has to convince people like you so that the republican senators will not alienate Trump supporters at the ballot box and lose their seat.
                    I don't control the Senate.

And people like you will not be convinced by anything against Trump because he gives you what you want, particularly the judiciary. So, it means you conservative Christians are defending a lying adulterer who attempted to extort a foreign leader for his own personal benefit. But that’s a small price to pay, right?
                    Is this all ya got, Tass? Same ol, same ol, same ol......

It’s also an issue of ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ as Schiff noted in his masterful closing speech, but this seems of little concern to the likes of you.
                    Schiff is a lying little con man who wouldn't know the truth if it bit him in the butt, and just wants Trump out "whatever it takes". You just overlook his deception because he's "your guy".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      Well, she's Catholic and she prays a lot.

BTW, your man Trump
                      JimL, is that YOU?

should take his dear wife to the movies, go see ‘Dark Waters’, there to reflect on the ‘good old days’ so long as he doesn’t start thinking “when’s this guy gonna turn green?”
                      Really thinking about that trip to your neck of the woods to buy you a pint and help you see the truth.

Comment

• Axelrod sums it up pretty well, I think, to CNN....

Former Obama chief strategist David Axelrod said he attended a focus group with Democratic voters in Chicago on Friday, describing the gathering as "chilling" because impeachment "didn't come up" until more than an hour into the session despite it taking place amid the Senate trial of President Trump.

Axelrod, who serves as a political analyst on CNN, shared about his experience during an interview with network anchor Erin Burnett on "OutFront" on Friday night, as Democratic House impeachment managers made their final arguments in the trial before White House lawyers begin their defense of the president on Saturday.

"I was in a focus group this morning for the Institute for Politics here at the University of Chicago with some Chicago Democratic voters, and it was chilling to hear them talk about this," Axelrod said. "Because impeachment didn’t come up, no one volunteered it, for 80 minutes into the focus group, and we’re right in the middle of the trial."

"When it came up, they said, you know, it's terrible what he did, the case has been proven, but we know how it's going to turn out," Axelrod continued. "So we're not really that interested, we're ready to move on."

Comment

Axelrod sums it up pretty well, I think, to CNN....

Former Obama chief strategist David Axelrod said he attended a focus group with Democratic voters in Chicago on Friday, describing the gathering as "chilling" because impeachment "didn't come up" until more than an hour into the session despite it taking place amid the Senate trial of President Trump.

Axelrod, who serves as a political analyst on CNN, shared about his experience during an interview with network anchor Erin Burnett on "OutFront" on Friday night, as Democratic House impeachment managers made their final arguments in the trial before White House lawyers begin their defense of the president on Saturday.

"I was in a focus group this morning for the Institute for Politics here at the University of Chicago with some Chicago Democratic voters, and it was chilling to hear them talk about this," Axelrod said. "Because impeachment didn’t come up, no one volunteered it, for 80 minutes into the focus group, and we’re right in the middle of the trial."

"When it came up, they said, you know, it's terrible what he did, the case has been proven, but we know how it's going to turn out," Axelrod continued. "So we're not really that interested, we're ready to move on."
                          This goes with a number of other pundits and elected officials who have been reporting the exact same thing. Nobody is talking about it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            This goes with a number of other pundits and elected officials who have been reporting the exact same thing. Nobody is talking about it.
                            It just amazes me that liberals can complain bitterly about the expected partisan "no vote" from the Senate, while totally ignoring the completely partisan beginning of this whole thing, and pretending it's NOT "politics".

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

BTW, your man Trump should take his dear wife to the movies, go see ‘Dark Waters’, there to reflect on the ‘good old days’ so long as he doesn’t start thinking “when’s this guy gonna turn green?”
                              Hmm... Maybe someone could make a movie that instead of it being a mega-corporation (isn't it always the case in the movies) having a bunch of unexplained deaths, it could be a powerful political couple.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It just amazes me that liberals can complain bitterly about the expected partisan "no vote" from the Senate, while totally ignoring the completely partisan beginning of this whole thing, and pretending it's NOT "politics".
                                As I have said before, what you call the 'partisan beginings' where the prudent and necessary steps given a GOP bent on protecting the president at any cost from the consequences of his actions.

And as we can see from how they in the senate have abused their own power and have chosen to ignore all existing testimony and prevent any testimony from those with the most direct knowledge of what the president has done, they were completely justified in proceeding as they did. In the end, the republicans were given as much access as anyone, they just were not allowed to divert the process from its assigned task

The GOP has abandoned its oath to protect the constitution in fielty to this president
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-25-2020, 09:25 AM.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment