Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Impeachment Trial

The impeachment trial gets underway today. McConnell has proposed ground rules:

48-hours of opening arguments, 24 for the prosecution, 24 for the defense over four 12-hour days; 16-hours of questioning from Senators; 4-hours of closing arguments; finally, they will take up debate about whether or not to allow for new witnesses followed by a vote. If new witnesses are allowed then each will be deposed before testifying.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...es-resolution/

There's also talk of what's being called a "kill switch" in the rules, that if the Democrats pull any stunts, the defense will have the option to move for immediate dismissal which should serve to eliminate any of the, let's call them "procedural irregularities" we saw in the House.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ial-commences/

Should be interesting.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

I think any motion to dismiss BEFORE the 48 hours would be a mistake. After that, all bets are off.

Does anybody really doubt the outcome?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think any motion to dismiss BEFORE the 48 hours would be a mistake. After that, all bets are off.

Does anybody really doubt the outcome?
      Why should we? Unless there are some GOP senators that will honor their oath to the constitution, then it's just a Kangaroo court where the outcome is predetermined. The rule of law, the concept the president is NOT above the law, the concept the abuse of the power would be eschewed and that the framers so painstakingly tried to make impossible through the safeguards of the separation of powers and the capacity to impeach has been killed and by the end of this process may well be forever buried.

It is as Benjamin Franklin said:

“Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.”

That so many on this site rejoice in the corruption of our government and our leaders makes me sadder than you can know.
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-21-2020, 08:32 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        ... 16-hours of questioning from Senators; ...
        If I heard correctly, the questions would be submitted in writing.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Why should we? Unless there are some GOP senators that will honor their oath to the constitution, then it's just a Kangaroo court ....
          It's been an incredibly partisan hate-based operation from the git-go, Jim, despite Pelosi's declaration that it should have the overwhelming support of the American people AND be very much bipartisan.

The ONLY bipartisanship has been Democrats voting WITH Republicans.

But, I get it - the Democrats were angelically supporting the Constitution of the US with ZERO bias, and.....

sure.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            If I heard correctly, the questions would be submitted in writing.
            To the Chief Justice, yes.

Comment

It's been an incredibly partisan hate-based operation from the git-go, Jim, despite Pelosi's declaration that it should have the overwhelming support of the American people AND be very much bipartisan.

The ONLY bipartisanship has been Democrats voting WITH Republicans.

But, I get it - the Democrats were angelically supporting the Constitution of the US with ZERO bias, and.....

sure.
              Your sarcasm only makes it worse. Do you think this is some sort of little game where there is a reset button and everything gets to start over as if nothing happened?

And no, I do not think the side trying to prosecute this impeachment are above reproach - for you to say that is - again, just you acting as if you are in a video game where there are no real consequences. They have lots of problems. But the country has the bigger problem right now in that its president is about to get away with the sorts of shenanigans that plagued Europe at the time our constitution was created and the sort of corruption the framers worked so hard to prevent, and the ignorance of a large portion of this country as to the impact of that event - including many here on this site - is sad beyond belief.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-21-2020, 09:13 AM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Why should we? Unless there are some GOP senators that will honor their oath to the constitution, then it's just a Kangaroo court where the outcome is predetermined. The rule of law, the concept the president is NOT above the law, the concept the abuse of the power would be eschewed and that the framers so painstakingly tried to make impossible through the safeguards of the separation of powers and the capacity to impeach has been killed and by the end of this process may well be forever buried.

It is as Benjamin Franklin said:

“Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.”

That so many on this site rejoice in the corruption of our government and our leaders makes me sadder than you can know.
                Oh wait... you were being serious...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Your sarcasm only makes it worse. Do you think this is some sort of little game where there is a reset button and everything gets to start over as if nothing happened? That isn't the real world CP.
                  It's partisan politics at its worst, Jim. You just happen to be very much aligned with one side of it.

And no, I do not think the side trying to prosecute this impeachment are above reproach - for you to say that is - again, just you acting as if you are in a video game where there are no real consequences.
                  Yeah, that's, um.... novel.

They have lots of problems. But the country has the bigger problem right now in that its president is about to get away with the sorts of shenanigans that plagued Europe at the time our constitution was created and the sort of corruption the framers worked so hard to prevent, and the ignorance of a large portion of this country as to the impact of that event - including many here on this site - is sad beyond belief.
                  Quick, Jim, you must run and tell the King!!!

The sky is not falling, Jim, both sides are playing politics, and Nancy was gloating that Trump will be "impeached forever". Trump will not be removed, so why don't the Democrats just chalk up the victory, and stop pretending this is going anywhere other than political fodder for the next election?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Oh wait... you were being serious...
                    Yes - I am. And you are clearly one of those clueless as to what is actually happening and it's importance to the history of the nation and our capacity to reign in a rogue president.

Comment

This is a steaming load of horsie poo that can only come from a deranged mind. Who, here, is "rejoicing in the corruption of our government and our leaders"?

Comment

It's partisan politics at its worst, Jim. You just happen to be very much aligned with one side of it.

Yeah, that's, um.... novel.

Quick, Jim, you must run and tell the King!!!

The sky is not falling, Jim, both sides are playing politics, and Nancy was gloating that Trump will be "impeached forever". Trump will not be removed, so why don't the Democrats just chalk up the victory, and stop pretending this is going anywhere other than political fodder for the next election?
                        Sorry CP. What we see here is the undoing of two of the most critical elements of our republic. The threat of impeachment of a president for wrongdoing has been stripped of it's power, and the concept the president is not above the law has been swept under the rug. And people like yourself are so wrapped up in your war against liberal ideals that you are blind to the consequences of your 'end justifies the means' approach to solving the problems you perceive.

Comment

Sorry CP. What we see here is the undoing of two of the most critical elements of our republic. The threat of impeachment of a president for wrongdoing has been stripped of it's power,
                          Yes, because the Democrats have weaponized it and turned it into a political circus. For the first time in the history of our nation, impeachment has become ENTIRELY partisan.

and the concept the president is not above the law has been swept under the rug.
                          Absolutely not. It's kinda like when there's somebody who's accused of an actual crime, but the prosecutor screws it up so badly that the prosecution itself is a sham.

And people like yourself are so wrapped up in your war against liberal ideals
                          OH, the irony!!!!

that you are blind to the consequences of your 'end justifies the means' approach to solving the problems you perceive.
                          Jim, you are so wrapped up in your HATE TRUMP that it's all you ever post about. It is CONSUMING YOU. You have become a one-trick donkey.

Comment

Yes - I am. And you are clearly one of those clueless as to what is actually happening and it's importance to the history of the nation and our capacity to reign in a rogue president.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

...the president is NOT above the law...
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment