Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I'm reading, Schiff basically ran out of material to work with in the first hour of opening arguments and has just been repeating himself since. He's also leaning heavily on Gordan Sondland's testimony, which doesn't put him on very solid footing.

Liberals, of course, think he is delivering a brilliant, textbook legal argument.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
      I wish someone on President Trump's team would raise the very important point that Joe Biden has never posed any threat to Donald Trump as an opponent!
      Polling continues to show Biden leading Trump by around 10 points in head-to-head questions.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Polling continues to show Biden leading Trump by around 10 points in head-to-head questions.

--Sam
        Depends on what poll you happen to be looking at. Other polls show Biden trailing Warren and Sanders. And Trump hasn't even started campaigning in earnest yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Depends on what poll you happen to be looking at. Other polls show Biden trailing Warren and Sanders. And Trump hasn't even started campaigning in earnest yet.
          Trump holds at least three rallies per month and is notable as the only president to begin his reelection campaign during his first year in office. His campaign's ad buys have been extensive throughout his term.

All the Democratic candidates beat Trump in head-to-head polling and Biden has never been favored by less than five points against Trump, by memory.

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            From what I'm reading, Schiff basically ran out of material to work with in the first hour of opening arguments and has just been repeating himself since. He's also leaning heavily on Gordan Sondland's testimony, which doesn't put him on very solid footing.

Liberals, of course, think he is delivering a brilliant, textbook legal argument.
            He's demonstrating what a pompous bee-hind he is.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Trump holds at least three rallies per month and is notable as the only president to begin his reelection campaign during his first year in office. His campaign's ad buys have been extensive throughout his term.

All the Democratic candidates beat Trump in head-to-head polling and Biden has never been favored by less than five points against Trump, by memory.

--Sam
              Like I said, it depends on what poll you're looking at.

And three rallies a month? That's nothing for Trump. During the height of his campaign against Hillary, he was holding three rallies a day in some cases..

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I think any motion to dismiss BEFORE the 48 hours would be a mistake. After that, all bets are off.

Does anybody really doubt the outcome?
                I do. I suspect from what we've seen so far is that the republicans in general are unprincipled and gutless, will do whatever they can to sweep it under the rug like you want. But history has shown that sometimes even from out of the seemingly unconscionable arises conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                  I do. I suspect from what we've seen so far is that the republicans in general are unprincipled and gutless, will do whatever they can to sweep it under the rug like you want. But history has shown that sometimes even from out of the seemingly unconscionable arises conscience.
                  You shouldn't cut and paste talking points that are above your education level. It's a dead giveaway.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    I do. I suspect from what we've seen so far is that the republicans in general are unprincipled and gutless....
                    Yes, yes, yes, they believe the prosecution is a sham, and aren't going to roll over, therefore, they are unprincipled and gutless.

Next?

No President has ever been removed from office due to impeachment, and this is by FAR the weakest and shabbiest impeachment yet.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yes, yes, yes, they believe the prosecution is a sham, and aren't going to roll over, therefore, they are unprincipled and gutless.
                      No, they don't think the prosecution is a sham, they're no more clueless than you are, but unlike your excuse, they have a stake in the result, and like you've said, at least in their case, it's political, it's their futures.
                      Next?

No President has ever been removed from office due to impeachment, and this is by FAR the weakest and shabbiest impeachment yet.
                      Nixon was, he basically pleaded guilty and resigned prior to trial. Pleading guilty is as good as being convicted. But if you think this impeachment is weak and shabby then you either ain't paying attention, or you're to biased to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        No, they don't think the prosecution is a sham,
                        Jim - you really need to stop this silly attempt at mind reading.

they're no more clueless than you are,
                        And these childish insults.

but unlike your excuse, they have a stake in the result, and like you've said, at least in their case, it's political, it's their futures.
                        It's a sham put on in an incredibly PARTISAN manner by people who LONG AGO decided they needed to get rid of Trump by any means possible.

Nixon was, he basically pleaded guilty and resigned prior to trial. Pleading guilty is as good as being convicted. But if you think this impeachment is weak and shabby then you either ain't paying attention, or you're to biased to see.
                        Well, there was an actual CASE there, wasn't there! Not just a bunch of partican hacks bumbling through sham prosecution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Jim - you really need to stop this silly attempt at mind reading.
                          It's your opinion that the Reps. think the trial is a scam, it's my opinion that they know otherwise.

And these childish insults.
                          What do you mean, that was a compliment. I said that I believe that you're both intelligent enough to know better.

It's a sham put on in an incredibly PARTISAN manner by people who LONG AGO decided they needed to get rid of Trump by any means possible.
                          Well, at least they, the Senators, know better.

Well, there was an actual CASE there, wasn't there! Not just a bunch of partican hacks bumbling through sham prosecution.
                          Yes, I'm aware you think it's a sham, and it is, it's a sham trial, and in that we both agree. But you don't care that it's a sham trial, even though you know and admit it's a sham trial.

Comment

• To show you how nutty the Democrat case is, Shifty Schiff read from a Washington Post editorial as part of his opening arguments!

Liberals keep reminding us that this isn't a traditional court of law. Good thing for Shifty, because otherwise he would have been constantly interrupted with "Objection!" "Sustained."
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-22-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              It's your opinion that the Reps. think the trial is a scam, it's my opinion that they know otherwise.
                              And since I'm right a zillion times more than you are, it's more probable that I'm right on this.

What do you mean, that was a compliment. I said that I believe that you're both intelligent enough to know better.
                              Yeah, typical back-handed childish compliment.

Well, at least they, the Senators, know better.
                              The Republican Senators know that the Democrats have dumped a sham impeachment in their laps, and the Democrats don't care - because - anything to get rid of Trump.

Yes, I'm aware you think it's a sham, and it is, it's a sham trial,
                              Because the Democrats have dumped this sham impeachment on them, yes.

and in that we both agree. But you don't care that it's a sham trial, even though you know and admit it's a sham trial.
                              And, there you go again, telling me what I care or don't care about. You just LOVE being wrong. You revel in it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                To show you how nutty the Democrat case is, Shifty Schiff read from a Washington Post editorial as part of his opening arguments!

Liberals keep reminding us that this isn't a traditional court of law. Good thing for Shifty, because otherwise he would have been constantly interrupted with "Objection!" "Sustained."
                                Kinda like...

Democrats: "we have a SLAM DUNK CASE, your honor, and we will prove with powerful OVERWHELMING evidence that Trump is Guilty".
                                Judge: Proceed with opening arguments.
                                Democrats: Well, we have a problem, your honor, our case stinks out loud, and we need you to force the other guys to do our work for us".

Comment