Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Just FTR, Fox News is where I first saw it. I was busy with other things and didn't really pay attention, however, so I'm not sure how much detail they gave.
    Don’t expect too much criticism of Trump from the Trump propaganda channel.

President Trump is testing the rule of law one week after his acquittal in his Senate impeachment trial, seeking to bend the executive branch into an instrument for his personal and political vendetta against perceived enemies.

And Trump — simmering with rage, fixated on exacting revenge against those he feels betrayed him and insulated by a compliant Republican Party — is increasingly comfortable doing so to the point of feeling untouchable, according to the president’s advisers and allies.
I

n the span of 48 hours this week, the president has sought to protect his friends and punish his foes, even at the risk of compromising the Justice Department’s independence and integrity — a stance that his defenders see as entirely justified.

Trump complained publicly about federal prosecutors’ recommended prison sentence for one of his longtime friends and political advisers, Roger Stone. After senior Justice Department officials then overruled prosecutors to lighten Stone’s recommended sentence, the president congratulated Attorney General William P. Barr for “taking charge” with an extraordinary intervention.

Next Trump sought to intimidate the federal judge in the Stone case, badgering her on Twitter for previous rulings, and attacked the four prosecutors who resigned from the case in apparent protest of the Justice Department’s intervention. Then Trump floated the possibility of a presidential pardon for Stone, who was convicted by a jury in November of tampering with a witness and lying to Congress.
    WaPo
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...faa_story.html
    Last edited by firstfloor; 02-13-2020, 02:19 AM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      News reports are pretty unanimous on this being the opinion of multiple officials in the DOJ. Remember, Barr speaks for the entire agency. He's not just giving his personal opinion.
      Remember that yourself.

Comment

• Barr should be impeached.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Barr should be impeached.
          Yes, the partisan Democrats in the House should get right on that! While they're at it, they should impeach Trump AGAIN!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
            Barr should be impeached applauded.
            I fixed your typo. No charge.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yes, the partisan Democrats in the House should get right on that! While they're at it, they should impeach Trump AGAIN!
              Agreed. Trump is the Don, Barr his appointed Consiglieri, neither of which are fit for the office they hold. I'd say you'll find that out eventually, but I think you already know and would never admit to it anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Agreed. Trump is the Don, Barr his appointed Consiglieri, neither of which are fit for the office they hold. I'd say you'll find that out eventually, but I think you already know and would never admit to it anyway.
                Jim, your precious partisan political hacks have overplayed their hand. It's their fault Trump now has a green light, and America is against the Democrats playing anymore games.

Great job, Dems!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jim, your precious partisan political hacks have overplayed their hand. It's their fault Trump now has a green light, and America is against the Democrats playing anymore games.

Great job, Dems!
                  Nope, it's your fault CP, that Trump has a green light is your fault, because without your support, without all of you out there that are supporting them, the republicans would never allow Trump to so blatently speed through the red ones without consequences. Now that you've given that green light to him, just watch him go!

Comment

I fixed your typo. No charge.
                    "Applauded" for what, doing Trump’s bidding?
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Obama's team ..... how do you put it.... tossed their toys out of the crib?
                      This is a crisis, but I get the feeling that you’re missing the significance of current events.

Comment

So what? Barr didn't makes decisions in a vacuum and bases them on the recommendations of those within the DOJ.
                        Or, in this instance, on being urged by the president to help one of his many indicted associates. Some Republicans have actually denounced Trump's intervention in ongoing criminal proceedings - including Donald's minion Lindsey Graham.
                        Last edited by Tassman; 02-14-2020, 03:50 AM.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Firing Vindman from his job in the WH is a crime. 18 USC 1513(e)
                          Trump crimes are permitted.
                          Danger, Will Robinson!
                          OA360
                          https://openargs.com/oa360-the-tuesd...noon-massacre/
                          Last edited by firstfloor; 02-14-2020, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Firing Vindman from his job in the WH is a crime. 18 USC 1513(e)
                            Danger, Will Robinson!
                            OA360
                            dem_chicken_little_trump.jpg
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Danger, Will Robinson!
                              OA360
                              Vindman wasn't fired, and it would ONLY be a crime if he were fired, demoted, reduced in rank, or whatever - as a result of retaliation for his testimony.

Let's look at what you're actually referencing...

(e) Whoever knowingly, with the intent to retaliate, takes any action harmful to any person, including interference with the lawful employment or livelihood of any person, for providing to a law enforcement officer any truthful information relating to the commission or possible commission of any Federal offense, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

Absolutely not applicable. Vindman still has a job, was not reduced in rank, pay was not decreased -- the only 'harm' done was, perhaps, his ego was bruised, and that's not covered in the statute.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                                Danger, Will Robinson!
                                OA360
                                Fake news.

What part of "serves at the pleasure of the president" don't you guys understand?
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment