Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Being that you're the Trump supporter exhibits your low level of intelligence, either that or your low level of patriotism and support for liberal democracy here and around the world..
    Underestimating your opponents is why you keep being bested by them.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Underestimating your opponents is why you keep being bested by them.
      I never underestimate their inability to grasp the facts.

Comment

Oh, Marie, the Iron-E.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Oh, Marie, the Iron-E.
          Pavlov Part Deux

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Pavlov Part Deux

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42635[/ATTACH]
            You bees such a good brudder, Mudder is so prouder.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thus the reason you still can’t figure out why Clinton lost while it’s obvious to anyone living outside your bubble.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Thus the reason you still canÂ’t figure out why Clinton lost while itÂ’s obvious to anyone living outside your bubble.
                I know why Clinton lost. She's been in politics most of her life, she's human, she has her flaws, but she was fairly popular as far as politicians go, too popular as far as republicans were concerned. So, they did to her what they usually do to those they fear the most, they demonize them, they smear them, they falsley accuse them of murder, of pedaphilia, of financial fraud, etc etc., they even spend millions in taxpayer dollars to put on sham congressional investigations of them. It certainly worked to some extent in Clintons case, but still, after all those years of tearing her down, she was still fairly popular, so other than their normal voter suppression tactics, they felt they still needed a little something more and the corrupt Donald J Trump knew exactly where it could be gotten, from his good buddy the tyranical sociopath in Moscow. So, though she still won the popular vote by a whopping 3 million over Trump, she lost, by a small fraction, 3 states specifically targeted by Russia, which enabled Trump to win the electoral college which itself is already rigged toward republicans anyway. That's how she lost, that and the fact that as it turns out we have a whole lot of politically naive people in this country that are easily taken in by a con man and vote against their own best interests.

And let's not ignore the fact that it's been made very difficult for working people to get to the polls and vote in the first place, otherwise, if it were made easier, more convenient, that would probably be the end of the republican party as we know it.
                Last edited by JimL; 02-09-2020, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• 00000000000000ab000-00aaai1.jpg
                  To the tune of the Charlie Daniels Band's
                  "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I actually do, which is why I know that accusing someone of "abuse of power" without naming the actual crime is a legally toothless charge. The majority of the Senate knows it, too.
                    Abuse of power can be a crime but it isn’t dependant on a crime. In most instances it amounts to a breach of duty which is a tort.

If I have someone’s power of attorney and I sign a contract on their behalf without due diligence then that’s negligence, not a crime. I’ve still abused the power given to me and could be financially liable for the contracts performance. The power comes with certain expectations and obligations and using that power without meeting them constitutes an abuse of power.

The same applies for public officials. The public allows them to have certain powers necessary in carrying out their duties. These powers are specific purposes and misusing those powers amounts to a civil wrong even if no statutory crime is present. A civil wrong isn’t legally toothless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I think you're misunderstanding the defense team's argument here. The prosecution was claiming that if it could be shown that Trump was in anyway motivated by personal interests then he was guilty of abusing his power. Dershowitz pointed out that if that's the standard for impeachment then every politician in America should be impeached, because every single one of them always has one eye on helping their reelection, or "mixed motives".
                      I didn’t hear the prosecution make that claim and Dershowitz didn’t argue against that claim.

His argument that I heard was:

- everyone running for re-election considers themselves remaining in office to be in the National interest
                      - therefore any action that aids their re-election is done in the National interest
                      - and if an action is done in the National interest then it can not be an abuse of power

That’s not a good argument, in fact it’s a very poor argument.

Comment

I know why Clinton lost. She's been in politics most of her life, she's human, she has her flaws, but she was fairly popular as far as politicians go, too popular as far as republicans were concerned. So, they did to her what they usually do to those they fear the most, they demonize them, they smear them, they falsley accuse them of murder, of pedaphilia, of financial fraud, etc etc., they even spend millions in taxpayer dollars to put on sham congressional investigations of them. It certainly worked to some extent in Clintons case, but still, after all those years of tearing her down, she was still fairly popular, so other than their normal voter suppression tactics, they felt they still needed a little something more and the corrupt Donald J Trump knew exactly where it could be gotten, from his good buddy the tyranical sociopath in Moscow. So, though she still won the popular vote by a whopping 3 million over Trump, she lost, by a small fraction, 3 states specifically targeted by Russia, which enabled Trump to win the electoral college which itself is already rigged toward republicans anyway. That's how she lost, that and the fact that as it turns out we have a whole lot of politically naive people in this country that are easily taken in by a con man and vote against their own best interests.

And let's not ignore the fact that it's been made very difficult for working people to get to the polls and vote in the first place, otherwise, if it were made easier, more convenient, that would probably be the end of the republican party as we know it.
                        OR, like her own husband warned, she blew it because she ignored the "white working class".

Comment

“My politicians are sinless and yours are evil incarnate!”

Still failing to understand why Clinton lost and swallowing everything your democrat masters tell you. Your inability to spot the flaws in your preferred politicians is why Clinton didn’t win and you still can’t figure out how. Democrats want to bring their opponents to submit or else and take those steps when elected. Democrats winning the majority of the government seats in Virginia and than forcing their will on the losing party is among the reasons I’m not voting for them this year. Ignore that at your own risk Jimmy or you’ll be very disappointed in November and will blame everyone, but your masters.

I’m middle class that works for a living, my brothers are middle class that work for a living, my in-laws family works for a living, most of my friends and family do too. None of us have any issue getting to the polls, so stop swallowing the lies of your democrat overlords.
                          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 02-09-2020, 09:09 AM.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            OR, like her own husband warned, she blew it because she ignored the "white working class".
                            It’s amazing, my family have been Democrats since FDR. Many are breaking away from the democrat party. I doubt Jimmy could figure out how or why.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                              Abuse of power can be a crime but it isn’t dependant on a crime. In most instances it amounts to a breach of duty which is a tort.

If I have someone’s power of attorney and I sign a contract on their behalf without due diligence then that’s negligence, not a crime. I’ve still abused the power given to me and could be financially liable for the contracts performance. The power comes with certain expectations and obligations and using that power without meeting them constitutes an abuse of power.

The same applies for public officials. The public allows them to have certain powers necessary in carrying out their duties. These powers are specific purposes and misusing those powers amounts to a civil wrong even if no statutory crime is present. A civil wrong isn’t legally toothless.
                              As you say, abuse of power is not a crime in and of itself. For instance, if you used the power of attorney to commit fraud then the crime would be fraud and not abuse of power.

For the purpose of impeachment and removal from office, the Constitution explicitly says that the president must be guilty of an actual crime. A vague charge like "abuse of power" doesn't cut it.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

“Your politicians are sinless and mine are evil incarnate!”
                                Exactly, Lilpix. I didn't think you'd ever figure that out.
                                Still failing to understand why Clinton lost and swallowing everything your democrat masters tell you. Your inability to spot the flaws in your preferred politicians is why Clinton didn’t win and you still can’t figure out how. Democrats want to bring their opponents to submit or else and take those steps when elected. Democrats winning the majority of the government seats in Virginia and than forcing their will on the losing party is among the reasons I’m not voting for them this year. Ignore that at your own risk Jimmy or you’ll be very disappointed in November and will blame everyone, but your masters.
                                Of course we want to bring evil incarnate to its knees, but evil incarnate are your words not mine, it's really the GOP that's evil incarnate, it's members are just unprincipled political hacks looking out for themselves.

I’m middle class that works for a living, my brothers are middle class that work for a living, my in-laws family works for a living, most of my friends and family do too. None of us have any issue getting to the polls, so stop swallowing the lies of your democrat overlords.
                                There should be a national day off for voting so people can vote at their liesure and not stand in mile long lines, if they can even get their on time after working all day.
                                Last edited by JimL; 02-09-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment