Page 23 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1084

Thread: The Impeachment Trial

  1. #221
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    312
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Shifty Schiff says:

    "If a president can be so easily manipulated to disbelieve his own intelligence agencies, to accept the propaganda of the Kremlin, that is a threat to our national security—and this is just what has happened here."

    I guess he missed the news last night that the FISA warrants against Carter Page that were used to spy on the Trump campaign were ruled invalid because the FBI lied to the judge in order to get them approved.

    Schiff also claims that the Russians have a psychological profile on Trump so they know how to manipulate him.

    Seriously, man, Schiff is a nut!
    Have you seen Trump grovel to Putin at Helsinki in 2018? I felt embarrassed for you guys just watching that. I think by saying that they know how to manipulate him is giving trump the benefit of the doubt.

  2. #222
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,615
    Amen (Given)
    1546
    Amen (Received)
    3474
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    It will go down as a triumph if the President is held to account, a failure, and a black mark on democracy, if he is not. Why? Because he is obviously guilty, putting his own personal interests ahead of the countries vital interests, that he can, as he has done, collude, bribe or extort foreign governments while putting our own, as well as our democratic alies, national security at risk, and it will render the supposed co-equal branch unable to do anything about it. And if he gets away with it this second time, you can be assured that he will feel free to, and as he has shown, will do, again.
    I’m sure the people impeaching Johnson thought the same thing. I know you’re just a brainwashed Democrat, with no thoughts of your own, but you do understand that the democrats have played right into Trump’s hand, do you?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  3. #223
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    312
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, "many judges" have expressed opinions. Stop the presses - CASE CLOSED!



    You realize that only ONE SIDE (the prosecution) has presented a case, right? In ANY trial, judgment is withheld til all the facts are in.



    For the third time this morning - this is not a LEGAL process, this is a POLITICAL one, and it began with an entirely PARTISAN prosecution, with even some Democrats providing the only BIPARTISANSHIP by saying no.
    You questioned the use of ‘overwhelming’ and I provided reasons as to why the use was appropriate here.

    I’m aware of that and I’ve previously stated that the overwhelming evidence takes into account the lack of a coherent defense. If the defense can provide a reasonable alternative explanation to account for all the facts then it will tip the scales.

    Also do you realise that once the defense presents their case the prosecution is allowed to challenge it which means they can call new witnesses.

  4. #224
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,424
    Amen (Given)
    13032
    Amen (Received)
    27576
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
    You questioned the use of ‘overwhelming’ and I provided reasons as to why the use was appropriate here.

    I’m aware of that and I’ve previously stated that the overwhelming evidence takes into account the lack of a coherent defense. If the defense can provide a reasonable alternative explanation to account for all the facts then it will tip the scales.

    Also do you realise that once the defense presents their case the prosecution is allowed to challenge it which means they can call new witnesses.
    I think you're getting ahead of yourself here. I think the agreement was that, after both sides presented, there could be a vote to allow additional witnesses -- or not.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  5. #225
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    312
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think you're getting ahead of yourself here. I think the agreement was that, after both sides presented, there could be a vote to allow additional witnesses -- or not.
    I was stating that generally.

  6. #226
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,077
    Amen (Given)
    6108
    Amen (Received)
    7482
    Despite a warning from the Senate sergeant-at-arms for senators to remain silent as the Democratic impeachment managers laid out their case against the president, a so-called quote read by lead impeachment manager Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) elicited several responses from Republican senators Friday evening.

    Rep. Schiff was referencing a CBS news report claiming a Trump ally had warned GOP senators, "vote against the president and your head will be on a pike." But many senators responded to Rep. Schiff, saying aloud, "That's not true."

    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bronso...-pike-n2560097

    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  7. #227
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,992
    Amen (Given)
    2592
    Amen (Received)
    1888
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I wish you could hear what Schiff is saying. 'here right matters'. And unfortunately, that is no longer true. Yet you, MM and others mock it, like its a joke.

    It is no joke.
    No, it's not a joke. And sadly those supporting Trump are the very same conservative Christians that put him in power in the first place. It seems that "right" takes second place to getting what they want come what may.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  8. #228
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,992
    Amen (Given)
    2592
    Amen (Received)
    1888
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yes, it actually does. There will be no removal from office without REPUBLICANS being convinced.
    No. You said that "overwhelming evidence" has to convince the Republicans in the Senate.

    It doesn’t. It has to convince people like you so that the republican senators will not alienate Trump supporters at the ballot box and lose their seat. And people like you will not be convinced by anything against Trump because he gives you what you want, particularly the judiciary. So, it means you conservative Christians are defending a lying adulterer who attempted to extort a foreign leader for his own personal benefit. But that’s a small price to pay, right?

    Wow, you mean... this is POLITICAL???? Like I've been saying all along?
    It’s also an issue of ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ as Schiff noted in his masterful closing speech, but this seems of little concern to the likes of you.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  9. #229
    tWebber firstfloor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    invalid value
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,765
    Amen (Given)
    23
    Amen (Received)
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Do you HONESTLY believe that Aunt Nancy makes ANY decisions that are not based on what will help the Democrats keep or gain power?

    From resisting impeachment, to authorizing it, to withholding the articles of impeachment..... do you think she's just a crazy old woman?
    It’s just tactics. Her heart is in the right place.

    BTW, your man Trump should take his dear wife to the movies, go see ‘Dark Waters’, there to reflect on the ‘good old days’ so long as he doesn’t start thinking “when’s this guy gonna turn green?”
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

  10. #230
    tWebber NorrinRadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wayne Township, PA
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,340
    Amen (Given)
    4702
    Amen (Received)
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
    Just to clarify I’m saying that if the senate trial is about whether the house decision is cause for removal or not then I agree the house has no say.

    However if the senate trial is about whether the house decision is questionable then shouldn’t the house have a right to say ‘ok we gave you our evidence but if you’re still not convinced then let us present more evidence’?
    Since it's not a real court trial, the prohibition against "double jeopardy" may not strictly apply, so they could probably try again with more evidence.

    I would almost be willing to bet that they will indeed try that.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    Beige Nationalist.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •