Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    Solomon is a known hack. According to Shokins own deputy, Vitaly Kasko, there was no ongoing investigation into Burisma in 2015-2016 at the time when VP Biden was pressuring Ukraine. And according to Daria Kaleniuk, the Executive Director of Ukraines "Anti-Corruption Action Center, Shokin was not investigating Burisma, he was fired because he failed to investigate, and not only Burisma.
    Official Ukrainian government documents say the investigation was active, something you would know if you bothered to read Mr. Solomon's in-depth and well-researched timeline. But I know you prefer your news in short, easy to digest soundbites. Whether it's true or not is secondary.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Right ... Solomon

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Official Ukrainian government documents say the investigation was active, something you would know if you bothered to read Mr. Solomon's in-depth and well-researched timeline. But I know you prefer your news in short, easy to digest soundbites. Whether it's true or not is secondary.
        Jim's favorite word of late is "irrelevant".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          No, Solomon is a Trumpian stooge, and was in on the whole Ukrainian scheme.
          No, that's something that someone like you would argue. But that doesn't explain away Solomon's sources that had reported that Shokin had seized Zlochevsky's assets and was moving the investigation forward right before he was ousted. For that, you'd have to conjure up the go-to "Russian stooge, Russia propaganda, Putin Ukraine, troll conspiracy theory, yada, yada..."

Comment

Yuriy Lutsenko has since retracted everything he told Solomon stating that Hunter Biden didn't violate any laws. As for your secret documents, where are they?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
              And why do you think that is?

To me it looks like the head of Burisma, who was corrupt, knew he could use the son of a US VP as cover for his corruption. Then it just so happens to turn out that the same son of the US VP ordered the prosecutor investigating the company head for corruption to be fired.
              It seem highly likely that the head of Burisma could have thought that Hunter would be a useful influence to have.

The international community and the Ukrainians wanted Shokin fired.

October 31 2015 protests
              https://www.kyivpost.com/article/con...in-401106.html
              March 28 2016 protests
              https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-prot.../27639981.html

No one questioned anyones motives for wanting Shokin fired because EVERYONE except Poroshenko wanted him gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                No, that's something that someone like you would argue. But that doesn't explain away Solomon's sources that had reported that Shokin had seized Zlochevsky's assets and was moving the investigation forward right before he was ousted. For that, you'd have to conjure up the go-to "Russian stooge, Russia propaganda, Putin Ukraine, troll conspiracy theory, yada, yada..."
                Zlochevsky's assets were actually siezed in 2015 and by 2016 Shokin was no longer even on that case. So, no, his ousting had nothing to do with Burisma.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Zlochevsky's assets were actually siezed in 2015 and by 2016 Shokin was no longer even on that case. So, no, his ousting had nothing to do with Burisma.
                  You're as wrong now about these events as you were about the date you believed Kupperman's suit was dismissed. My guess is you're confusing the actions of UK with the actions of the PGO of Ukraine, but knowing your track record with such factual details, who knows.

Comment

• Nadler says that if the Senate votes to hear from witnesses that he wants to call...

...John Kelly?

His reasoning is that because Kelly says he believes Bolton that he must therefore have relevant knowledge about Trump's dealings with Ukraine even though Kelly was no longer part of the Trump administration at the time.

Yeah, there's a reason Shifty tried to keep Nadler away from the microphone during that one press conference.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-28-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Ken Starr: "And so the appropriate question. Were crimes alleged in the articles in the common law of Presidential Impeachment?
                      Yes. Bolton's draft book manuscript says Trump tied Ukraine aid freeze to political investigations. In short it was attempted extortion for Trump's personal benefit and Bolton is a first-hand witness. Blocking Bolton's testimony is a cover-up.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Ken did a great job of calmly laying out the history.

Then... Prurua? Whatever his name....
                        "Purpura." He should consider changing his name. From Wiktionary: "(medicine) The appearance of red or purple discolorations on the skin that do not blanch when pressure is applied, caused by subdermal bleeding."
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Did you actually watch this last night?

Ah yes, Pam Bondi, best-known for refusing to join a fraud investigation into Trump University that ultimately led to Trump forking over $25 million. Now she's defending Trump on national TV during the Senate impeachment trial. Yes, she's convincing.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                            Yes. Bolton's draft book manuscript says Trump tied Ukraine aid freeze to political investigations. In short it was attempted extortion for Trump's personal benefit and Bolton is a first-hand witness. Blocking Bolton's testimony is a cover-up.
                            We don't know what the manuscript says, we only know what anonymous sources quoted by the New York Times claim it says, and as Jim Jordan pointed out, that doesn't change the underlying facts. And as Adam Schiff correctly said in a recent interview, the time for investigation is over.

Comment

• McConnell’s choice is dump the trial if he can (his preferred choice) or dump Trump. If Trump goes, his biggest problem is how to explain it to the base, after all the lies and exaggeration. The truth will continue to seep out because most people have been able to resist Trump’s devilish charms.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                McConnell’s choice is dump the trial if he can (his preferred choice) or dump Trump. If Trump goes, his biggest problem is how to explain it to the base, after all the lies and exaggeration. The truth will continue to seep out because most people have been able to resist Trump’s devilish charms.
                                McConnell's choice is to keep his own butt in power until they pry his cold dead fingers from the lectern. Pretty much the same with Aunt Nancy, Nadler, Schumer....
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment