Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

Out of all of the things that are morally wrong, how do you know what the civil government should prohibit? There is some overlap between the two, but they are not identical.

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
    Out of all of the things that are morally wrong, how do you know what the civil government should prohibit? There is some overlap between the two, but they are not identical.
    No easy answers. Yet we generally have a consensus that things that do physical harm or defraud or things like stealing should be prohibit. When I was growing up though things like adultery, fornication, homosexuality were against the law, even felonies. You could not open a business on Sunday or hunt.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      No easy answers. Yet we generally have a consensus that things that do physical harm or defraud or things like stealing should be prohibit. When I was growing up though things like adultery, fornication, homosexuality were against the law, even felonies. You could not open a business on Sunday or hunt.
      We still have blue laws here where you can't buy liquor on Sundays.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        We still have blue laws here where you can't buy liquor on Sundays.
        Religious zealots!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I agree that the civil government should prohibit things that cause physical harm and other things like defrauding someone or stealing. However, those aren't the only things that should be prohibited. Public nudity is prohibited and I agree with that.

What are the reasons that people use for and against the idea that adultery and fornication should be against the civil law?

Comment

What are the reasons that people use for and against the idea that adultery and fornication should be against the civil law?
            They were largely religious in nature but the feeling was that unbridled sexual lust would undermine civil order. Which is exactly what happened with the sexual revolution...

Comment

I think adultery should be illegal because it isn't victimless. I get that some people have open relationships and don't care, but if you want to do that, you shouldn't sully the institution of marriage by calling what you have a marriage.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

They were largely religious in nature but the feeling was that unbridled sexual lust would undermine civil order. Which is exactly what happened with the sexual revolution...
                I guess the criteria for determining whether something should be punished by the civil government is whether an action does physical harm to someone, damages property, steals property, defrauds someone, or undermines civil order.
                Last edited by Hornet; 01-23-2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

What do you think about the idea that all nations should enforce all of the penal sanctions that are in the Old Testament? How would you respond to those who hold that view?

Comment

What do you think about the idea that all nations should enforce all of the penal sanctions that are in the Old Testament? How would you respond to those who hold that view?
                    I think those penalties would be just, but a society also should practice mercy.

Comment

I think it has to do with what's perceived to be a 'public good' or in the 'public interest' as opposed to what's a private good or mainly a private matter. So the boundary line is somewhat fluid and will change with time. For instance, homosexuality was once viewed as a matter of public morality and public decency and society thought it had a compelling interest in controlling it. With time it came to be seen as a private matter between consenting adults. A lot of it has to do with changing opinions about factual matters; for instance that homosexuality came to be seen factually in a different light, less as a deliberate moral choice or set of choices and more as a biological pre-disposition, at least among males.

Comment

In general, I am not totally averse to corporal punishments, including mutilation -- things the PC pansies would view as "cruel and unusual."

In regard to the specific question, all the OT laws were directly tied to the Old Covenant, which specifically belonged to Israel. Part of their intent was to mark them as the People of YHWH. In that sense, directly applying them to other nations would not be appropriate.

As a corollary, I am skeptical of the practice of dividing the Law into categories -- Civil, Religious, etc. Those categories are derived, not spelled out, and I don't think the boundaries are sharp and well defined.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

. . . and forced racial segregation, separate and unequal, and racial profiling were the rule of law in America.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            . . . and forced racial segregation, separate and unequal, and racial profiling were the rule of law in America.
                            So?

Comment

So?
                              SO, "forced racial segregation, separate and unequal, and racial profiling were the rule of law in America" as imposed by Christians, who comprised the vast majority of the population.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment