Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    OK - now we know that you prefer to push forward a known untruth than admit an error. There is a name for that, Seer: lying.
    What error Carp? That you assume my motives while balking when other did it to you? That is the bottom line here - admit your hypocrisy.

Basic psychology suggests otherwise.
    There you go again, you really have no shame.

Again - apples and oranges. You're mixing subconscious drivers with conscious motives. When someone infers a meaning in something I said, and I correct their mistake - but they insist they know better, they have wandered into lying. If someone wants to make a case about subconscious motivation, the best I can say is "I'll have to investigate that to see if it is possible/likely." There is no other response possible because it is, as you noted, subconscious.
    Then you are lying about me since you insist that you know my motives better than me.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    What error Carp? That you assume my motives while balking when other did it to you? That is the bottom line here - admit your hypocrisy.

There you go again, you really have no shame.

Then you are lying about me since you insist that you know my motives better than me.
    OK - we're past the point of usefulness. If you cannot distinguish between subconscious and conscious motivations and keep the discussion clear, and feel a need to constantly go to "hypocrite" and "disingenuous," you're a waste of my time and not much better in the discussion arena than Pix or MM. I had thought better of you, Seer, but I was apparently wrong. You apparently want to win at any cost, even if it means you have to compromise your integrity.

Feel free to chalk up the win. I'm done here, and probably going forward. I may test the waters sometime in the future if I see any change in your behavior. Otherwise, not worth my time.

Be healthy -
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    OK - we're past the point of usefulness. If you cannot distinguish between subconscious and conscious motivations and keep the discussion clear, and feel a need to constantly go to "hypocrite" and "disingenuous," you're a waste of my time and not much better in the discussion arena than Pix or MM. I had thought better of you, Seer, but I was apparently wrong. You apparently want to win at any cost, even if it means you have to compromise your integrity.

Feel free to chalk up the win. I'm done here, and probably going forward. I may test the waters sometime in the future if I see any change in your behavior. Otherwise, not worth my time.

Be healthy -
    Just remember Carp your incessant harping on Trump probably has to do with your subconscious daddy issues and fear of strong alphas males.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Nonsense Tass, the Gospel of John was an eyewitness,
    Really. John’s gospel is generally dated at c.95 -110 CE so it’s difficult to argue eyewitness reportage OR Johannine authorship given such late dating. According to biblical scholar Raymond E Brown what we have with the gospels are “four different accounts written some thirty to seventy years later in the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John, all of which were dependent on tradition that had come down from an intervening generation or generations”. Death of the Messiah.

that is what the text says. The letters (not Gospels) 1,2,3 John and 1,2 Peter are eyewitnesses.
    The epistles of John are as equally late as the gospel and therefore not considered eyewitness accounts. Those of Peter are widely considered pseudepigraphcal.

And how does Ehrman know what was written before the Gospels? What is he referencing? What texts?
    Bart Ehrman is an eminent bible scholar, I suggest you read him.

And by the way Tass Bauckham believes the Gospels were ACCURATE:
    No doubt. That after all is what his “Jesus and the eyewitnesses” sets out to show. But even he does not claim actual eyewitness reportage. He can say no more than the gospels were written by those with access to eyewitness testimony of Jesus' first followers i.e. second or third-hand testimony – similar as that reported by the likes of Papias to whom Bauckham refers in his book.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just remember Carp your incessant harping on Trump probably has to do with your subconscious daddy issues and fear of strong alphas males.
    OR, more likely, his (and my) overt "fear" that "Trump failed the biggest test of his life" to the terrible detriment of the USA and the rest of the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...5npeAXJW3pUPhE
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Bart Ehrman is an eminent bible scholar, I suggest you read him.
    I actually have Tass, and have watched him in a number of debates. He has no actual evidence (texts and such) that disagree with what the New Testament writing claims about Christ. What we have in the NT are the earliest known Christian writings.

No doubt. That after all is what his “Jesus and the eyewitnesses” sets out to show. But even he does not claim actual eyewitness reportage. He can say no more than the gospels were written by those with access to eyewitness testimony of Jesus' first followers i.e. second or third-hand testimony – similar as that reported by the likes of Papias to whom Bauckham refers in his book.
    And Bauckham is also a eminent bible scholar, unlike Ehrman he is a Cambridge scholar. And his conclusion is that the NT is reliable and accurate. So why don't you believe the very man that you referenced?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    OR, more likely, his (and my) overt "fear" that "Trump failed the biggest test of his life" to the terrible detriment of the USA and the rest of the world.
    Nonsense Tass, that is not what the American people think - he is polling higher as positive than negative in his handling of the crisis. And most Western countries are doing worst or about the same. Italy, Spain, Britain, Germany, etc...