Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 116 of 116

Thread: Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

  1. #111
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,605
    Amen (Given)
    1612
    Amen (Received)
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Infidels and libtards are dishonest interlocutors who have no interest in what the Bible teaches about slavery, except to the extent that they can try to weaponize it against believers.
    The scriptures are the factual basis for the evidence of the history of slavery in early Judaism, and Christianity throughout history up until at least until the late 19th century. Name calling and trying to rewrite history does not help your case.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  2. #112
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    690
    Amen (Given)
    16
    Amen (Received)
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Infidels and libtards are dishonest interlocutors who have no interest in what the Bible teaches about slavery, except to the extent that they can try to weaponize it against believers.
    There are 'libtard' believers, believe it or not.

  3. #113
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,969
    Amen (Given)
    2592
    Amen (Received)
    1887
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    You said:Bondage (e.g. slavery) or social discrimination is not conducive to the cohesion of society as a whole...
    No, I said there were “preferable” means of achieving social cohesion “in terms of moral values and human happiness”.

    That is just false, China is the perfect example...
    Not just China. Christian empires under absolute monarchs were repressive of human freedoms too – your point?

    No Tass, you already agree that Christians do not necessarily follow the mores of the day.
    Indeed, they don’t necessarily follow the social mores of the day but they come around eventually. The emancipation of women was resisted by many Christians for a very long time. So was Christian resistance to civil rights for all, especially blacks in many parts of the US - or civil rights to LGBT citizens.

    The point is Tass, in my worldview universal moral truths exist, even if we misunderstand them at times. That option is not open to you.
    In your worldview "universal moral truths" vary from era to era. And the bible demonstrably can be made to reinforce what the society of the day believes at any given period of history.

    There you go with your lies again. Prove that the majority of Christians supported slavery and racism for most of Christian history. Or shut up...
    The mere existence of slavery in majority Christian countries for so many centuries is sufficient proof given that the legislatures of these countries were under the control of Christians. Most Christians merely accepted slavery as a fact of life. And in parts of the US and elsewhere its abolition and the abolition of racial discrimination was actively resisted by Christians - including by the Southern states of the US.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  4. #114
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,315
    Amen (Given)
    1955
    Amen (Received)
    5467
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    No, I said there were “preferable” means of achieving social cohesion “in terms of moral values and human happiness”.



    Not just China. Christian empires under absolute monarchs were repressive of human freedoms too – your point?
    Again Tass yousaid that bondage was not conducive to social cohesion And that is false.



    Indeed, they don’t necessarily follow the social mores of the day but they come around eventually. The emancipation of women was resisted by many Christians for a very long time. So was Christian resistance to civil rights for all, especially blacks in many parts of the US - or civil rights to LGBT citizens.
    Then stop making the claim!


    In your worldview "universal moral truths" vary from era to era. And the bible demonstrably can be made to reinforce what the society of the day believes at any given period of history.
    Really? Tell me what the early Christians believed that I don't - be specific.

    The mere existence of slavery in majority Christian countries for so many centuries is sufficient proof given that the legislatures of these countries were under the control of Christians. Most Christians merely accepted slavery as a fact of life. And in parts of the US and elsewhere its abolition and the abolition of racial discrimination was actively resisted by Christians - including by the Southern states of the US.
    You have no idea what Christians generally believed throughout history. Besides it's not like slavery is an objective wrong in your world, just a cultural thing...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  5. #115
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,315
    Amen (Given)
    1955
    Amen (Received)
    5467
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The scriptures are the factual basis for the evidence of the history of slavery in early Judaism, and Christianity throughout history up until at least until the late 19th century. Name calling and trying to rewrite history does not help your case.
    But according to you that is because God did not want to forbid slavery until your prophet came along. Blame God, not Judaism or Christianity...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  6. #116
    tWebber Rushing Jaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Near my best friend (see photo above)
    Faith
    XPian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    758
    Amen (Given)
    2197
    Amen (Received)
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Out of all of the things that are morally wrong, how do you know what the civil government should prohibit? There is some overlap between the two, but they are not identical.
    To judge this, is one of the tasks of the virtue of prudence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •