Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    What is your point? You said spiritual laws did not forbid slavery until Baha'u'llah. So according to your religion slavery as practiced by Jews, Muslims and Christians broke no Spiritual law. Therefore not a violation or sin. As a matter of fact two manifestations of God, Moses and Muhammad, supported and regulated slavery. Perfectly acceptable.
    You of course do not accept the progressive revelation and spiritual evolution of humanity as the physical evolution. Then you have a sere problem objecting to slavery based on your scripture. Not mine.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Nonsense. Tell me what mores do I or my church conform to? The largest Christian denomination is the Catholic Church, what modern moral values have they conformed to. Be specific.
    Abolition of slavery and the emancipation of women - to name just two.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Maybe one . . . but not the complete emancipation of women. My family I grew up with are fairly contemporary believers in the Roman Church, but still believes that men rulle the roost, and my sister in law always voted like my brother voted when he was alive.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-22-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Maybe one . . . but not the complete emancipation of women. My family I grew up with are fairly contemporary believers in the Roman Church, but still believes that men rulle the roost, and my sister in law always voted like my brother voted when he was alive.
    Oh certainly. But it's far better than it once was. Nancy Pelosi is an example of a woman who has risen to a senior position over men as a Roman Catholic.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You of course do not accept the progressive revelation and spiritual evolution of humanity as the physical evolution. Then you have a sere problem objecting to slavery based on your scripture. Not mine.
    So what? According your own religion slavery was not a violation of Spiritual laws back in the day. But again, I'm glad your Prophet followed the good example of Christian abolitionists.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by the emancipation of women. You think Catholic Church, or I, support modern feminism?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So what? According your own religion slavery was not a violation of Spiritual laws back in the day. But again, I'm glad your Prophet followed the good example of Christian abolitionists.

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Shuny, where did I ever objective to slavery in general? I objected to slavery based on kidnapping, since man stealing is a sin in both Testaments. And slavery in the West was largely based on kidnapping. And the fact that slave holders often treated slaves badly violating New Testament principles.

Eph 6:9 "And, masters, do the same to them. Stop threatening them, for you know that both of you have the same Master in heaven, and with him there is no partiality."

Col 4:1 "Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, for you know that you also have a Master in heaven."
    Last edited by seer; 02-23-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Shuny, where did I ever objective to slavery in general? I objected to slavery based on kidnapping, since man stealing is a sin in both Testaments. And slavery in the West was largely based on kidnapping. And the fact that slave holders often treated slaves badly violating New Testament principles.

Eph 6:9 "And, masters, do the same to them. Stop threatening them, for you know that both of you have the same Master in heaven, and with him there is no partiality."

Col 4:1 "Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, for you know that you also have a Master in heaven."
    It is very sad and tragic that you conditionally accept slavery in one form or another.

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is very sad and tragic that you conditionally accept slavery in one form or another.
    According to whom? You?