Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 407

Thread: Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

  1. #131
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,826
    Amen (Given)
    1653
    Amen (Received)
    1007
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    What is your point? You said spiritual laws did not forbid slavery until Baha'u'llah. So according to your religion slavery as practiced by Jews, Muslims and Christians broke no Spiritual law. Therefore not a violation or sin. As a matter of fact two manifestations of God, Moses and Muhammad, supported and regulated slavery. Perfectly acceptable.
    You of course do not accept the progressive revelation and spiritual evolution of humanity as the physical evolution. Then you have a sere problem objecting to slavery based on your scripture. Not mine.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  2. #132
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,143
    Amen (Given)
    2606
    Amen (Received)
    1897
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Nonsense. Tell me what mores do I or my church conform to? The largest Christian denomination is the Catholic Church, what modern moral values have they conformed to. Be specific.
    Abolition of slavery and the emancipation of women - to name just two.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  3. #133
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,826
    Amen (Given)
    1653
    Amen (Received)
    1007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Abolition of slavery and the emancipation of women - to name just two.
    Maybe one . . . but not the complete emancipation of women. My family I grew up with are fairly contemporary believers in the Roman Church, but still believes that men rulle the roost, and my sister in law always voted like my brother voted when he was alive.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-22-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  4. #134
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,143
    Amen (Given)
    2606
    Amen (Received)
    1897
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Maybe one . . . but not the complete emancipation of women. My family I grew up with are fairly contemporary believers in the Roman Church, but still believes that men rulle the roost, and my sister in law always voted like my brother voted when he was alive.
    Oh certainly. But it's far better than it once was. Nancy Pelosi is an example of a woman who has risen to a senior position over men as a Roman Catholic.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  5. #135
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,782
    Amen (Given)
    2029
    Amen (Received)
    5572
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    You of course do not accept the progressive revelation and spiritual evolution of humanity as the physical evolution. Then you have a sere problem objecting to slavery based on your scripture. Not mine.
    So what? According your own religion slavery was not a violation of Spiritual laws back in the day. But again, I'm glad your Prophet followed the good example of Christian abolitionists.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  6. #136
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,782
    Amen (Given)
    2029
    Amen (Received)
    5572
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Abolition of slavery and the emancipation of women - to name just two.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the emancipation of women. You think Catholic Church, or I, support modern feminism?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  7. #137
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,826
    Amen (Given)
    1653
    Amen (Received)
    1007
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    So what? According your own religion slavery was not a violation of Spiritual laws back in the day. But again, I'm glad your Prophet followed the good example of Christian abolitionists.
    You of course do not accept the progressive revelation and spiritual evolution of humanity as the physical evolution. Then you have a sere problem objecting to slavery based on your scripture. Not mine.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  8. #138
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,782
    Amen (Given)
    2029
    Amen (Received)
    5572
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    You of course do not accept the progressive revelation and spiritual evolution of humanity as the physical evolution. Then you have a sere problem objecting to slavery based on your scripture. Not mine.
    Shuny, where did I ever objective to slavery in general? I objected to slavery based on kidnapping, since man stealing is a sin in both Testaments. And slavery in the West was largely based on kidnapping. And the fact that slave holders often treated slaves badly violating New Testament principles.

    Eph 6:9 "And, masters, do the same to them. Stop threatening them, for you know that both of you have the same Master in heaven, and with him there is no partiality."

    Col 4:1 "Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, for you know that you also have a Master in heaven."
    Last edited by seer; 02-23-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  9. #139
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,826
    Amen (Given)
    1653
    Amen (Received)
    1007
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Shuny, where did I ever objective to slavery in general? I objected to slavery based on kidnapping, since man stealing is a sin in both Testaments. And slavery in the West was largely based on kidnapping. And the fact that slave holders often treated slaves badly violating New Testament principles.

    Eph 6:9 "And, masters, do the same to them. Stop threatening them, for you know that both of you have the same Master in heaven, and with him there is no partiality."

    Col 4:1 "Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, for you know that you also have a Master in heaven."
    It is very sad and tragic that you conditionally accept slavery in one form or another.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  10. #140
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,782
    Amen (Given)
    2029
    Amen (Received)
    5572
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It is very sad and tragic that you conditionally accept slavery in one form or another.
    According to whom? You?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •