Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    According to whom? You?
    According to anyone with an acceptable contemporary international standard of morals and ethics, and of course the Baha'i spiritual laws which you reject.

If you are considering the Biblical standard. Foreign slaves were captured, bought, sold and owned including their ancestors.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    According to anyone with an acceptable contemporary international standard of morals and ethics, and of course the Baha'i spiritual laws which you reject.

If you are considering the Biblical standard. Foreign slaves were captured, bought, sold and owned including their ancestors.
    Talk to the hand...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Talk to the hand...
    . . . which hand?
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not sure what you mean by the emancipation of women. You think Catholic Church, or I, support modern feminism?
    Throughout most of its history the Christian Church opposed women's suffrage on its belief that a woman's place is in the home.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    . . . which hand?
    Shuny, the point is slavery is a temporal condition. Scripture is much more concerned with our eternal estate. A slave can be free in Christ, and a free man, like yourself, can be in bondage in sin and lost. Temporal slavery is a secondary consideration.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Throughout most of its history the Christian Church opposed women's suffrage on its belief that a woman's place is in the home.
    There is nothing in Scripture that says a woman can not vote or have a career and yes I think that being a homemaker and mother is the woman's highest calling. As far as other mores of the day like abortion, gay marriage, contraception or convenient divorce the Catholic Church is dead set against.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Shuny, the point is slavery is a temporal condition. Scripture is much more concerned with our eternal estate. A slave can be free in Christ, and a free man, like yourself, can be in bondage in sin and lost. Temporal slavery is a secondary consideration.
    Scripture also is the standard of morality and ethics, which you are avoiding to suit your agenda. The fact that your view reflects and ancient view and the Baha'i view which reflects the morals and ethics of the contemporary world demonstrates the progressive Revelation of the spiritual advancement of humanity concerning the standards of the world.

Frank

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There is nothing in Scripture that says a woman can not vote or have a career
    And yet scripture was invoked in Christian countries for centuries to deny women the vote and keep them from positions of leadership - just as it was invoked to justify slave ownership.

and yes I think that being a homemaker and mother is the woman's highest calling.
    Do you now. Surely the role of women is for the woman to decide.

As far as other mores of the day like abortion, gay marriage, contraception .
    This will change in time as the Christian church comes in to line with the majority opinion of its own members. It has already in many instances.

or convenient divorce the Catholic Church is dead set against
    Just as well Donald is an Evangelical then and not a Catholic, given his two divorces and three marriages.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Scripture also is the standard of morality and ethics, which you are avoiding to suit your agenda. The fact that your view reflects and ancient view and the Baha'i view which reflects the morals and ethics of the contemporary world demonstrates the progressive Revelation of the spiritual advancement of humanity concerning the standards of the world.
    Oh stop Shuny, your prophet jumped on the bandwagon long after Christians started the Abolition movement.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    And yet scripture was invoked in Christian countries for centuries to deny women the vote and keep them from positions of leadership - just as it was invoked to justify slave ownership.
    Which Scriptures are you speaking of as far as the vote is concerned?

This will change in time as the Christian church comes in to line with the majority opinion of its own members. It has already in many instances.
    I don't see that changing in the Catholic anytime soon, or in my church.

Just as well Donald is an Evangelical then and not a Catholic, given his two divorces and three marriages.
    I don't think Trump is anything more than a cultural Christian, even so there is forgiveness in Christ - we are all sinners.