Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 434

Thread: Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

  1. #141
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,847
    Amen (Given)
    1656
    Amen (Received)
    1009
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    According to whom? You?
    According to anyone with an acceptable contemporary international standard of morals and ethics, and of course the Baha'i spiritual laws which you reject.

    If you are considering the Biblical standard. Foreign slaves were captured, bought, sold and owned including their ancestors.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  2. #142
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,798
    Amen (Given)
    2031
    Amen (Received)
    5576
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    According to anyone with an acceptable contemporary international standard of morals and ethics, and of course the Baha'i spiritual laws which you reject.

    If you are considering the Biblical standard. Foreign slaves were captured, bought, sold and owned including their ancestors.
    Talk to the hand...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  3. #143
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,847
    Amen (Given)
    1656
    Amen (Received)
    1009
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Talk to the hand...
    . . . which hand?
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  4. #144
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,153
    Amen (Given)
    2607
    Amen (Received)
    1898
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by the emancipation of women. You think Catholic Church, or I, support modern feminism?
    Throughout most of its history the Christian Church opposed women's suffrage on its belief that a woman's place is in the home.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  5. #145
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,798
    Amen (Given)
    2031
    Amen (Received)
    5576
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    . . . which hand?
    Shuny, the point is slavery is a temporal condition. Scripture is much more concerned with our eternal estate. A slave can be free in Christ, and a free man, like yourself, can be in bondage in sin and lost. Temporal slavery is a secondary consideration.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  6. #146
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,798
    Amen (Given)
    2031
    Amen (Received)
    5576
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Throughout most of its history the Christian Church opposed women's suffrage on its belief that a woman's place is in the home.
    There is nothing in Scripture that says a woman can not vote or have a career and yes I think that being a homemaker and mother is the woman's highest calling. As far as other mores of the day like abortion, gay marriage, contraception or convenient divorce the Catholic Church is dead set against.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  7. #147
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,847
    Amen (Given)
    1656
    Amen (Received)
    1009
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Shuny, the point is slavery is a temporal condition. Scripture is much more concerned with our eternal estate. A slave can be free in Christ, and a free man, like yourself, can be in bondage in sin and lost. Temporal slavery is a secondary consideration.
    Scripture also is the standard of morality and ethics, which you are avoiding to suit your agenda. The fact that your view reflects and ancient view and the Baha'i view which reflects the morals and ethics of the contemporary world demonstrates the progressive Revelation of the spiritual advancement of humanity concerning the standards of the world.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  8. #148
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,153
    Amen (Given)
    2607
    Amen (Received)
    1898
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    There is nothing in Scripture that says a woman can not vote or have a career
    And yet scripture was invoked in Christian countries for centuries to deny women the vote and keep them from positions of leadership - just as it was invoked to justify slave ownership.

    and yes I think that being a homemaker and mother is the woman's highest calling.
    Do you now. Surely the role of women is for the woman to decide.

    As far as other mores of the day like abortion, gay marriage, contraception .
    This will change in time as the Christian church comes in to line with the majority opinion of its own members. It has already in many instances.

    or convenient divorce the Catholic Church is dead set against
    Just as well Donald is an Evangelical then and not a Catholic, given his two divorces and three marriages.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  9. #149
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,798
    Amen (Given)
    2031
    Amen (Received)
    5576
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Scripture also is the standard of morality and ethics, which you are avoiding to suit your agenda. The fact that your view reflects and ancient view and the Baha'i view which reflects the morals and ethics of the contemporary world demonstrates the progressive Revelation of the spiritual advancement of humanity concerning the standards of the world.
    Oh stop Shuny, your prophet jumped on the bandwagon long after Christians started the Abolition movement.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  10. #150
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,798
    Amen (Given)
    2031
    Amen (Received)
    5576
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    And yet scripture was invoked in Christian countries for centuries to deny women the vote and keep them from positions of leadership - just as it was invoked to justify slave ownership.
    Which Scriptures are you speaking of as far as the vote is concerned?


    This will change in time as the Christian church comes in to line with the majority opinion of its own members. It has already in many instances.
    I don't see that changing in the Catholic anytime soon, or in my church.

    Just as well Donald is an Evangelical then and not a Catholic, given his two divorces and three marriages.
    I don't think Trump is anything more than a cultural Christian, even so there is forgiveness in Christ - we are all sinners.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •