Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 399

Thread: Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

  1. #101
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,766
    Amen (Given)
    2027
    Amen (Received)
    5569
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Actually no Revelation is progressive. Your avoiding the biggy, the Bible and the Quran did not forbid slavery, which shots down your argument.
    I'm not avoiding anything Shuny, obviously God didn't think it was that important to wait centuries. And again was Bab doing something immoral by owning slaves?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  2. #102
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,815
    Amen (Given)
    1651
    Amen (Received)
    1006
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I'm not avoiding anything Shuny, obviously God didn't think it was that important to wait centuries. And again was Bab doing something immoral by owning slaves?
    ctually no Revelation is progressive. Your avoiding the biggy, Why did the Bible and the Quran did not forbid slavery, which shots down your argument.?.

    If you believe the Bible is the standard today you should believe slavery is moral and ethical
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-17-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  3. #103
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,766
    Amen (Given)
    2027
    Amen (Received)
    5569
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    ctually no Revelation is progressive. Your avoiding the biggy, Why did the Bible and the Quran did not forbid slavery, which shots down your argument.?.

    If you believe the Bible is the standard today you should believe slavery is moral and ethical
    What are you talking about? The Bible and the Quran did not forbid slavery because according to you God didn't not want to forbid it until Baha’u’llah in the 1800s. And are you saying that it wasn't immoral for the Bab to own a slave?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  4. #104
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,140
    Amen (Given)
    2606
    Amen (Received)
    1897
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Then your whole argument tying liberty to social cohesion fails.
    I didn’t tie “liberty” to social cohesion necessarily, I said it was “preferable in terms of moral values and human happiness”.

    And remember moral values and happiness are subjective and relative in your world. .
    Just as moral values are demonstrably “subjective and relative” in your biblical world – the centuries of acceptance and then rejection of slavery being an example.

    Yet you can not make the argument that enlightenment values are objectively better or more correct.
    And you cannot make the argument that biblical values are objectively better or more correct. The bible can be made to reinforce what the society of the day believes at any given period of history.

    And some Enlightenment thinkers supported racism...
    Some did. Whereas the majority of Christians supported slavery and racism for most of Christian history.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  5. #105
    tWebber NorrinRadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wayne Township, PA
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,422
    Amen (Given)
    5000
    Amen (Received)
    925
    Infidels and libtards are dishonest interlocutors who have no interest in what the Bible teaches about slavery, except to the extent that they can try to weaponize it against believers.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    Beige Nationalist.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

  6. #106
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,140
    Amen (Given)
    2606
    Amen (Received)
    1897
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Infidels and libtards are dishonest interlocutors who have no interest in what the Bible teaches about slavery, except to the extent that they can try to weaponize it against believers.
    Regardless what the bible may or may not say about slavery the majority of Christians supported slavery and racism for most of Christian history.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  7. #107
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,815
    Amen (Given)
    1651
    Amen (Received)
    1006
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    What are you talking about? The Bible and the Quran did not forbid slavery because according to you God didn't not want to forbid it until Baha’u’llah in the 1800s. And are you saying that it wasn't immoral for the Bab to own a slave?
    What are you talking about?!?!?!?!

    ctually no Revelation is progressive. Your avoiding the biggy, Why did the Bible and the Quran did not forbid slavery, which shots down your argument.?.

    If you believe the Bible is the standard today you should believe slavery is moral and ethical
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  8. #108
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,766
    Amen (Given)
    2027
    Amen (Received)
    5569
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    I didn’t tie “liberty” to social cohesion necessarily, I said it was “preferable in terms of moral values and human happiness”.
    You said:Bondage (e.g. slavery) or social discrimination is not conducive to the cohesion of society as a whole...

    That is just false, China is the perfect example...

    Just as moral values are demonstrably “subjective and relative” in your biblical world – the centuries of acceptance and then rejection of slavery being an example.
    No Tass, you already agree that Christians do not necessarily follow the mores of the day.

    And you cannot make the argument that biblical values are objectively better or more correct. The bible can be made to reinforce what the society of the day believes at any given period of history.
    The point is Tass, in my worldview universal moral truths exist, even if we misunderstand them at times. That option is not open to you.

    Some did. Whereas the majority of Christians supported slavery and racism for most of Christian history.
    There you go with your lies again. Prove that the majority of Christians supported slavery and racism for most of Christian history. Or shut up...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  9. #109
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,766
    Amen (Given)
    2027
    Amen (Received)
    5569
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    What are you talking about?!?!?!?!

    ctually no Revelation is progressive. Your avoiding the biggy, Why did the Bible and the Quran did not forbid slavery, which shots down your argument.?.

    If you believe the Bible is the standard today you should believe slavery is moral and ethical
    You did not answer my question Shuny - was it immoral for the Bab to own a slave? And according to you the Bible and the Quran did not forbid slavery because God did not want to end slavery then.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgC1tqifV8

  10. #110
    tWebber MaxVel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    It's hot!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,601
    Amen (Given)
    1168
    Amen (Received)
    1818
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    IT remains a fact that your ignoring the elephant in the room. There is absolutely no spiritual teaching in the Bible that forbids slavery,
    Rubbish.


    (1) Define exactly what you mean by 'slavery'

    (2) Cite all the Bible passages that mention slavery and show that none of them forbid it.


    Be aware that a whole range of statuses and social practices are covered by our translation of ANE concepts with the English word 'slavery'.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •