Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Morally Wrong Behavior vs. What the Civil Government Should Prohibit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    So you'd prefer to live in a theocracy?
    When all those things that were illegal, even in my life time, were we a theocracy then?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      When all those things that were illegal, even in my life time, were we a theocracy then?
      You said you want a government that follows your theocratic beliefs, right?

Comment

You said you want a government that follows your theocratic beliefs, right?
        First answer me:When all those things that were illegal, were we a theocracy then? Yes or no?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

First answer me:When all those things that were illegal, were we a theocracy then? Yes or no?
          I didn't say we were a theocracy then, but you're suggestion was that you wish we were.

Comment

I didn't say we were a theocracy then, but you're suggestion was that you wish we were.
            Good, so you agree that we can have a religious influence on the law without being a theocracy?

Comment

Good, so you agree that we can have a religious influence on the law without being a theocracy?
              There is a difference between religious influence and religious authoritarianism.

Comment

There is a difference between religious influence and religious authoritarianism.
                Well all the things I mentioned as being illegal were so because of religious influence and not religious authoritarianism.

Comment

In effect the US was a theocracy then in that the vast majority of the population was Christian.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

And why is totalitarian rule bad? But the point I was making is that diversity was not necessary to create Western Civilization, nor is diversity necessarily a good. It could in fact undermine social cohesion.
                    Modern Western society has fought for (and seems to prefer) egalitarianism and democracy to the totalitarian patriarchal societies of earlier times.

Nonsense Tass, again I will ask where does the NT tell us to oppress anyone? Are we not taught to love our fellow man, and to follow the golden rule? Again, what do I believe that is different from the NT writers?
                    Christian slave owners said the same thing as did the oppressors of women and minority groups – and they all managed to justify their prejudices with scriptural quotes just as you do.

Now you are moving the goal posts, you were speaking of variants of human/animal sexuality. Which both rape and pedophilia are. Now you are pointing to consent! You think our primate cousins care about consent? So now you are attaching a moral judgement to natural sexual behavior.
                    Moral judgement applies to ALL human behavior, e.g. would you describe Harvey Weinstein or Jeffery Epstein as exhibiting natural human behavior or perversions of natural human behavior? I would argue the latter.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      In effect the US was a theocracy then in that the vast majority of the population was Christian.
                      No it wasn't! Were you forced to join a church or worship in a particular way? Or worship at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        Modern Western society has fought for (and seems to prefer) egalitarianism and democracy to the totalitarian patriarchal societies of earlier times.
                        That doesn't change anything I said. Modern Western society was born of patriarchal societies. It was the patriarchy that produced them. And the point that diversity was not, and is not, necessary. Diversity is a meaningless meme. China is doing fine in a patriarchal, non-diverse society.

Christian slave owners said the same thing as did the oppressors of women and minority groups – and they all managed to justify their prejudices with scriptural quotes just as you do.
                        I asked a specific question: where do my beliefs differ from NT principles?

Moral judgement applies to ALL human behavior, e.g. would you describe Harvey Weinstein or Jeffery Epstein as exhibiting natural human behavior or perversions of natural human behavior? I would argue the latter.

But why would you call them perversions? We find the same behaviors in higher primates, and historically in humans, so who decided that those behaviors are now immoral? Or are you merely justifying your personal biases?

Comment

Well all the things I mentioned as being illegal were so because of religious influence and not religious authoritarianism.
                          Right, but my point was that you would prefer to live under religious authoritarianism. A christian theocracy. Right?

Comment

Right, but my point was that you would prefer to live under religious authoritarianism. A christian theocracy. Right?
                            Nope, because you can not force one to believe in or receive Christ. Nor, like Islam, should you try.

Comment

That doesn't change anything I said. Modern Western society was born of patriarchal societies. It was the patriarchy that produced them.
                              Quite the reverse. Modern Western society was born of changing social values and the rejection of patriarchal dominance and this changed us into the diverse inclusive society we enjoy in the West today.

And the point that diversity was not, and is not, necessary. Diversity is a meaningless meme. China is doing fine in a patriarchal, non-diverse society.
                              It’s a question of what’s preferable rather than what’s necessary. Totalitarian regimes will survive OK – whether absolute monarchies or fascist dictatorships. But I personally would rather live in the free world, wouldn’t you?

I asked a specific question: where do my beliefs differ from NT principles?
                              Where did the beliefs of the Christian slave owners the oppressors of women and minority groups differ from NT principles? They justified them with their particular understanding of scripture just as you justify your beliefs. This difference in the interpreting of scripture is why there are so many religious wars in the name of Jesus – each side just knows they are the ones who have got it right. Don’t you.

But why would you call them perversions?
                              Humans have rarely tolerated rape or preying on the vulnerable as acceptable – except in war, tragically. And the frequency of child-rape in families or by priests and pastors – or anyone in a position of power and authority - has never been accepted as appropriate or normal.

We find the same behaviors in higher primates, and historically in humans, so who decided that those behaviors are now immoral?
                              I know of no accounts of forced sex with juveniles among nonhuman primates. Admittedly bonobos engage in frequent sex in "all possible combinations"—including adults with juveniles—but they do not have sex with unwilling partners.

Or are you merely justifying your personal biases?
                              You are, not I.

Comment

Nope, because you can not force one to believe in or receive Christ. Nor, like Islam, should you try.
                                But you can attempt to force non-believers to live in a society governed according to your personal religious principles.

Comment