Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impeachment: 71% of Republicans want witnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I think the magic words in that survey were "with firsthand knowledge" - so far we haven't heard from anyone under oath with firsthand knowledge. The only ones who have that are Trump and Zelensky. And if he is guilty, anyone Trump told directly what his nefarious plan was. I think I would go for those witnesses. I would also like to see the whistlblower.
    Like most surveys, we don't know the exact question or how it was setup, so the results are largely meaningless. But as I take another look at the story, it asks "whether witnesses with firsthand knowledge should be allowed to testify". Well, sure, a witness should be allowed to testify if their testimony is relevant and they are issued with a lawful subpoena, but I disagree that the Senate should or has any reason to issue such subpoenas. If the Democrats can't make their case based on the evidence gathered during their one-sided inquiry where they gave themselves every possible advantage then the Senate should dismiss the charges or vote for full acquittal.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I want witnesses too. Hunter Biden will suffice.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        “Trump is so guilty that we need to keep digging till we find evidence that he is guilty!!!”

Stalin would be proud, comrade.
        Machiavelli would be proudest - and of you an MM and others. The end justifies the means. If we have to excuse adultery, racism, abusive attitudes toward women, and even the coercion and bribery of foreign countries as he enlists them to interfere in our elections, so be it. Just so long as we get some conservative judges on the bench, its all ok.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Machiavelli would be proudest - and of you an MM and others. The end justifies the means. If we have to excuse adultery, racism, abusive attitudes toward women, and even the coercion and bribery of foreign countries as he enlists them to interfere in our elections, so be it. Just so long as we get some conservative judges on the bench, its all ok.
          That’s a great list of opinions and worst assumptions, but I know it’s totally pointless to even bother with you, since your mind is already made up, but assumptions and opinions, isn’t evidence. Besides, democrats could care less about abusive attitudes towards women, since they still make excuses for LBJ and Clinton’s much bigger and more documented abuses. Of course, you’re welcome to grovel and submit to your liberal overlords if you so desire, but I’ll pass on submission and your list of unsupported opinions.

He’s guilty, you just need to keep digging till you find all this evidence of guilt and if he objects to being probed, it’s just more evidence of guilt! Right comrade?
          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-22-2020, 08:40 AM.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            You are assuming he would tell the truth under oath.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Machiavelli would be proudest - and of you an MM and others. The end justifies the means.
              Liar. None of us are arguing that the ends justify the means. Nobody has even implied that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I think the magic words in that survey were "with firsthand knowledge" - so far we haven't heard from anyone under oath with firsthand knowledge. The only ones who have that are Trump and Zelensky. And if he is guilty, anyone Trump told directly what his nefarious plan was. I think I would go for those witnesses. I would also like to see the whistlblower.
                I think Bolton and Mulvaney are the ones people have in mind. Both have firsthand knowledge.

And Hunter Biden of course .

Comment

Republicans control the senate, I don’t think they need permission from the democrats if they want to hear from Hunter but Hunter isn’t a relevant witness.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                    Republicans control the senate, I don’t think they need permission from the democrats if they want to hear from Hunter but Hunter isn’t a relevant witness.
                    There are 4 relevant witnesses. 2 on each side. The prosecution should call Rudy and Trump while the defense should call Hunter and Joe. No one else would make as much impact.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

There are 4 relevant witnesses. 2 on each side. The prosecution should call Rudy and Trump while the defense should call Hunter and Joe. No one else would make as much impact.
                      If you put Trump on the stand I'll give you a 2:1! That would be utter suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                        I think the Republicans' response today, in particular, is setting the stage for why, exactly, Hunter is at the very center of this whole thing.

We've had weeks and weeks of endless rumor and gossip from the Democrats, and now they're being hit with the facts and the law, as well as their own contrary testimony from previous impeachment situations.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I think the Republicans' response today, in particular, is setting the stage for why, exactly, Hunter is at the very center of this whole thing.

We've had weeks and weeks of endless rumor and gossip from the Democrats, and now they're being hit with the facts and the law, as well as their own contrary testimony from previous impeachment situations.
                          Trump's team is killing it.

Out of curiosity, is there some rule that says the House managers have to be sitting Representatives rather than hired attorneys with actual litigation experience? Because Schiff and his crew are so far out of their league it's embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Trump's team is killing it.

Out of curiosity, is there some rule that says the House managers have to be sitting Representatives rather than hired attorneys with actual litigation experience? Because Schiff and his crew are so far out of their league it's embarrassing.
                            I can't find anything that prevents the House Managers from including outside counsel, but their own resolution limits their side to actual US Representatives from the House.

I almost have to believe that Schiff was so blinded by his disdain for Trump, and so overconfident in his own ability, that he thought this would be such a slam dunk. He's had the wind at his back this whole time, with the national media and so much of the public just lapping up his gossip and his generous piles of horsie poo....

It's amazing. It's like "the children have pitched their fits, and now the adults have entered the room".

Again...

Scripture Verse: Prov 18:17

In a lawsuit the first to speak seems right, until someone comes forward and cross-examines.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Politicians are so used to dealing in half-truths and outright lies that I think Schiff may have genuinely forgotten how to present an honest, factual argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Liar. None of us are arguing that the ends justify the means. Nobody has even implied that.
                                You most certainly have.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment