Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Young voters outvoted Boomers in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    The OP is about voting trends in 2018, not this other stuff you're bringing up! If you want to dispute that 2018 represented a blue wave you're going to have to explain why the Democrats gaining 40 seats and taking control in the house doesn't count.

It's not just my opinion. Rick Wilson, who had a significant role in giving those past Republican victories, described it as such.
    So you want to ignore historical trends, so you can pretend that 2020 will finally be the year that the Republicans lose big. Why didn’t you just say you were trying to confirm your bubble thinking vs looking at reality and seeing Trump is on a trend to win re-election? The democrats lost the house, in 2010 and lost seats in the senate too.

2010 - democrats lost 62 house seats, 5 senate seats, and 8 governorships

Was that a red wave than? Who still won in 2012?

Keep living in that bubble. Things are going great. Don’t get off the Titanic yet.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Quite a spike of young voters from 2014 to 2018. Even the Boomers spiked a bit (first time since 1982).

The voters were energized. Was this due to disappointment of recent administrations, or fear of future ones? Interesting in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        So you want to ignore historical trends, so you can pretend that 2020 will finally be the year that the Republicans lose big. Why didn’t you just say you were trying to confirm your bubble thinking vs looking at reality and seeing Trump is on a trend to win re-election? The democrats lost the house, in 2010 and lost seats in the senate too.

2010 - democrats lost 62 house seats, 5 senate seats, and 8 governorships

Was that a red wave than? Who still won in 2012?

Keep living in that bubble. Things are going great. Don’t get off the Titanic yet.
        Will no one rid of me this meddlesome troll?

Comment

Maybe this is old news to some of you but I hadn't seen this graph until this morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42296[/ATTACH]

Given how 2018 turned out, the fact that Boomers are continuing to drop like flies, and the fact that some projections put 2020 overall participation at the highest level since 1900 I'm feeling pretty positive we can save the Republic and put the nail in the coffin of the former Party of Lincoln.

Does any Trump supporter think this is good news?
          You are making a lot of assumptions there.

First, that was a midterm election. A lot of people don't bother with those.
          Second, you are assuming that all of the Boomers are Republican and the Gen Z/Millenials are Democrat.
          Third, that even those young people who are liberal now, will remain so in the future. Instead, they will start to turn conservative as they age and get married, have kids and full time jobs and real life hits them in the face. Happens a lot. A lot of Gen X are already republican now. I am one of them. Gen X starts at 1961, so we are already old farts.
          Last edited by Sparko; 01-22-2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

This article indicates so. As the article points out, radical social change is the norm they have grown up with. Look how quickly Transsexualism, a bridge too far for many in the older generation (and a bit of challenge for me), becomes something we just accept and move on. The GOP is a far right party so even those who become "conservatives" will hopefully look more like a traditional center right party rather than supporting overt fascism as today's Republicans do.
            You can find studies that claim just the opposite, that Gen Z is more conservative.
            https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleys.../#2fe9aba87878

The truth is that they are a mix, just like every other generation.

Comment

Will no one rid of me this meddlesome troll?
              Remember this in November of this year when it’s likely Trump will win re-election. Your left wing bubble won’t be enough to save you. Don’t let historical trends or the fact that only 3 post WW2 presidents have lost re-election detour you from the truth.
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-22-2020, 01:10 PM.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                You can find studies that claim just the opposite, that Gen Z is more conservative.
                https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleys.../#2fe9aba87878

The truth is that they are a mix, just like every other generation.
                That is pretty clearly one cherry picked stat which lumps together 'conservative' and 'moderate' into one bucket (and the larger article from which it is drawn is paywalled). I don't need the youth to be crazy liberal, just not the selfish nightmare boomers turned out to be. The articles I saw trying to substantiate this idea that Gen Z is highly conservative showed them to favor MJ legalization, believe Climate Change is caused by humans, and favor a more active role of government. That hardly sounds like what many on this board think of when using the word 'conservative.'

Comment

That is pretty clearly one cherry picked stat which lumps together 'conservative' and 'moderate' into one bucket (and the larger article from which it is drawn is paywalled). I don't need the youth to be crazy liberal, just not the selfish nightmare boomers turned out to be. The articles I saw trying to substantiate this idea that Gen Z is highly conservative showed them to favor MJ legalization, believe Climate Change is caused by humans, and favor a more active role of government. That hardly sounds like what many on this board think of when using the word 'conservative.'
                  Really? I know plenty of Republicans who are for legalization of marijuana and some liberals who are not. And plenty of conservatives who believe in climate change. Several right here on Tweb. A more active role of government is pretty vague. What kind of control? over what areas? And I know a LOT of liberals who are complete anarchists. Heck Anarchy as a movement seem to be mostly young liberals.

And the article I gave was just an example. If you search you can find such articles going either way. My take is that there is a mix, and it is regional. I think you will find more liberal Gen Z's in California than Alabama for instance.

Comment

Really? I know plenty of Republicans who are for legalization of marijuana and some liberals who are not. And plenty of conservatives who believe in climate change. Several right here on Tweb. A more active role of government is pretty vague. What kind of control? over what areas? And I know a LOT of liberals who are complete anarchists. Heck Anarchy as a movement seem to be mostly young liberals.

And the article I gave was just an example. If you search you can find such articles going either way. My take is that there is a mix, and it is regional. I think you will find more liberal Gen Z's in California than Alabama for instance.
                    Actually, I thought about that article more and I think it shows the *opposite* of what it claims to show. The fact that they had to group 'conservative' and 'moderate' together to only get up to 59% of respondents leads one to believe that the remaining 41% answered 'liberal'!

My searching did not yield the kind of 'two sides' you are claiming exists. Coming of age during Trump is not going to do you guys any favors let me assure you :). Revealing the unspeakable levels of corruption in this administration will be the gift that keeps on giving for elections to come.

Comment

Actually, I thought about that article more and I think it shows the *opposite* of what it claims to show. The fact that they had to group 'conservative' and 'moderate' together to only get up to 59% of respondents leads one to believe that the remaining 41% answered 'liberal'!

My searching did not yield the kind of 'two sides' you are claiming exists. Coming of age during Trump is not going to do you guys any favors let me assure you :). Revealing the unspeakable levels of corruption in this administration will be the gift that keeps on giving for elections to come.
                      Really? Then you must not have been looking. I assume you already have your "Gen X is liberal" articles right? I can dig some up if you need them. But here are several articles claiming they are more conservative...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ative-WW2.html
                      https://www.theamericanconservative....ghtward-drift/
                      https://www.studentpost.org/2018/06/...ve-generation/
                      https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...z__141066.html
                      https://medium.com/@laurennreiff/gen...m-677414f925d1

And that's just from the first two pages of a google search.

It seems to me that each side is wanting to claim Gen Z as their own. But the truth is in the middle. You also didn't respond to my initial post about your chart. I will repeat it below:

You are making a lot of assumptions there.

Second, you are assuming that all of the Boomers are Republican and the Gen Z/Millenials are Democrat.
                      Third, that even those young people who are liberal now, will remain so in the future. Instead, they will start to turn conservative as they age and get married, have kids and full time jobs and real life hits them in the face. Happens a lot. A lot of Gen X are already republican now. I am one of them. Gen X starts at 1961, so we are already old farts.

Comment

Really? Then you must not have been looking. I assume you already have your "Gen X is liberal" articles right? I can dig some up if you need them. But here are several articles claiming they are more conservative...
                        I did legit search for articles on Gen Z being conservative and could not find any. In any case based on reading the articles you posted I will agree that Gen Z does have some conservative values. I remain unconvinced that they agree with what most of this board mean when they use that word (i.e. Republican values).

A total of 50.3 percent of eligible voters voted in 2018, compared to a turnout of just 36.7 of eligible voters in 2014. The 2018 elections had highest turnout of any mid-term election held since the 1914 elections.

Obviously I'm not assuming that. Are you going to challenge the idea that Boomers are particularly likely to vote Republican?

Not sure when you were born but I might have some bad news for you

Pew Research Center defines baby boomers as being born between 1946 and 1964.

Even if we go with your number you're probably at the upper end of the Gen X spectrum so that only proves so much. My parents are both boomers and they vote Democrat every election. So I guess I win :).

All that said, it's possible that people will turn more conservative as they age. That ain't happening by November :).
                        Last edited by DivineOb; 01-22-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Maybe this is old news to some of you but I hadn't seen this graph until this morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42296[/ATTACH]

Given how 2018 turned out, the fact that Boomers are continuing to drop like flies, and the fact that some projections put 2020 overall participation at the highest level since 1900 I'm feeling pretty positive we can save the Republic and put the nail in the coffin of the former Party of Lincoln.

Does any Trump supporter think this is good news?
                          That's news to me, and great news at that.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            That is the problem when allowing the ignorant to vote.
                            Or one could argue that when the ignorant vote in large numbers, you could end up with a corrupt, wannabe dictator, like Trump as president.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              I find modern liberals are driven by the idea that demographics are shifting liberal and they could lock their opponents out of politics completely and they therefore don’t have to bother to connect with or understand their opponents. It’s classic bubble thinking and why many still haven’t learned from 2016. Counting their eggs vs actual chickens is why Trump is president and the defeat of the liberals in the UK should be a wake up call that this sort of thinking is dangerous to a political party.
                              Hillary won the popular vote by 3 million, Trump won the electoral college by barely winning 3 states by colluding with our adversay, Russia. Those states in particular were targeted, by information supplied by P Manafort, Trumps campaign manager, with misinformation by Russia. After seemingly getting away with collusion, thanks to his corrupt Atty Gen., he went about trying the same scheme by extorting Ukraine into smearing his political rival in the upcoming election. Are you blind, or is cognitive dissonance the problem?

Comment

https://www.people-press.org/2020/01...eachment_0-04/

Link has a poll which shows support for removing trump decreases as age increases. It’ll be interesting to see what the average age of democrats and republicans are.

Comment