Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Young voters outvoted Boomers in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young voters outvoted Boomers in 2018

Maybe this is old news to some of you but I hadn't seen this graph until this morning.

ok boomer.jpeg

Given how 2018 turned out, the fact that Boomers are continuing to drop like flies, and the fact that some projections put 2020 overall participation at the highest level since 1900 I'm feeling pretty positive we can save the Republic and put the nail in the coffin of the former Party of Lincoln.

Does any Trump supporter think this is good news?

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    Maybe this is old news to some of you but I hadn't seen this graph until this morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42296[/ATTACH]

Given how 2018 turned out, the fact that Boomers are continuing to drop like flies, and the fact that some projections put 2020 overall participation at the highest level since 1900 I'm feeling pretty positive we can save the Republic and put the nail in the coffin of the former Party of Lincoln.

Does any Trump supporter think this is good news?
    “Trump only has a 4% chance of winning.”

How well did that work out? There’s an old saying about counting your chickens before they hatch. You would think democrats would have learned this in 2016, but I guess not.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      “Trump only has a 4% chance of winning.”

How well did that work out? There’s an old saying about counting your chickens before they hatch. You would think democrats would have learned this in 2016, but I guess not.
      How did 2018 go i.e. the year that this graph is talking about?

And the smart money (538) said that Trump had a nontrivial chance of winning.

Comment

How did 2018 go i.e. the year that this graph is talking about?

And the smart money (538) said that Trump had a nontrivial chance of winning.
        The fact that progressive candidates didn’t do great in their elections and the democrats underperformed in 2018, should give you pause. I guess it doesn’t. 2020 is hardly a done deal and you seem to be counting those chickens and well... that didn’t do great in 2016, did it?
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-22-2020, 10:50 AM.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The fact that progressive candidates didn’t do great in their elections and the democrats underperformed in 2018, should give you pause. I guess it doesn’t. 2020 is hardly a done deal and you seem to be counting those chickens and well... that didn’t do great in 2016, did it?
          By what standard did the Democrats underperform?

Comment

That is the problem when allowing the ignorant to vote.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

By what standard did the Democrats underperform?
              Losing a bigger margin in the senate, losing most of the important progressive candidates in their senate runs, and not gaining a huge amount of seats in the house.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Is there any reason to think that the next generation is going to vote more left than the previous?

"If you are not a liberal at 25, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at 35 you have no brain" - Quote oft attributed to Winston Churchill

Comment

Losing a bigger margin in the senate, losing most of the important progressive candidates in their senate runs, and not gaining a huge amount of seats in the house.
                  This is how I know you're not serious. This statement is just false and you can't find *anyone* credible who agrees with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    Is there any reason to think that the next generation is going to vote more left than the previous?

"If you are not a liberal at 25, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at 35 you have no brain" - Quote oft attributed to Winston Churchill
                    I find modern liberals are driven by the idea that demographics are shifting liberal and they could lock their opponents out of politics completely and they therefore don’t have to bother to connect with or understand their opponents. It’s classic bubble thinking and why many still haven’t learned from 2016. Counting their eggs vs actual chickens is why Trump is president and the defeat of the liberals in the UK should be a wake up call that this sort of thinking is dangerous to a political party.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

This is how I know you're not serious. This statement is just false and you can't find *anyone* credible who agrees with you.
                      Democrats lost by a greater degree in 2010 than the republicans did in 2018. Who won the 2012 election? The ‘credible’ people also said Clinton was going to be our president. How well did that work out?
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

This article indicates so. As the article points out, radical social change is the norm they have grown up with. Look how quickly Transsexualism, a bridge too far for many in the older generation (and a bit of challenge for me), becomes something we just accept and move on. The GOP is a far right party so even those who become "conservatives" will hopefully look more like a traditional center right party rather than supporting overt fascism as today's Republicans do.

Comment

Democrats lost by a greater degree in 2010 than the republicans did in 2018. Who won the 2012 election? The ‘credible’ people also said Clinton was going to be our president. How well did that work out?
                          Your replies in this thread are on par with me mocking you for having a 'Sky Daddy'. Do better.

Comment

Your replies in this thread are on par with me mocking you for having a 'Sky Daddy'. Do better.
                            Yet I brought up past elections and past election performances and you can’t refute it. The fact is the democrats did not have a blue wave in 2018 and had an interesting historical change where they ended up losing seats in the senate vs gaining, isn’t good. Who won in 2012? Hate to break it to you, but if history bears out, Trump will win in 2020.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yet I brought up past elections and past election performances and you can’t refute it. The fact is the democrats did not have a blue wave in 2018 and had an interesting historical change where they ended up losing seats in the senate vs gaining, isn’t good. Who won in 2012? Hate to break it to you, but if history bears out, Trump will win in 2020.
                              The OP is about voting trends in 2018, not this other stuff you're bringing up! If you want to dispute that 2018 represented a blue wave you're going to have to explain why the Democrats gaining 40 seats and taking control in the house doesn't count.

It's not just my opinion. Rick Wilson, who had a significant role in giving those past Republican victories, described it as such.

Comment