Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Waterboard This...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterboard This...

Sticking to his guns...

CIA psychologist defends torture before Guantanamo court

Washington (AFP) - A psychologist who helped design the CIA's "war on terror" torture program after the September 11, 2001 attacks defended the program this week before its victims at the US military prison in Guantanamo, Cuba.

James Mitchell was unapologetic Tuesday when he appeared at a hearing to answer questions about the waterboarding, stress position and sleep deprivation techniques applied to 9/11 plot suspects detained in secret prisons following the attacks.

"I'd get up today and do it again," he said before five of those men, whose slow-moving cases at the Guantanamo military tribunals have them facing possible death sentences.

https://news.yahoo.com/cia-psycholog...214757489.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

It's ridiculous that the trials are taking this long. I know that the Constitutional right to a speedy trial doesn't technically apply to these people, but at some point they need to get on with it.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's a shame we don't have the torture tapes the CIA destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Sticking to his guns...
        A devoted follower of Heinrich Luitpold Himmler: "It is the curse of the great to walk over corpses"
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          A devoted follower of Heinrich Luitpold Himmler: "It is the curse of the great to walk over corpses"
          How many bodies has the use of waterboarding produced since it's use after 9/11?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            How many bodies has the use of waterboarding produced since it's use after 9/11?
            None. It has not turned persons into corpses. But is that the only criteria?

The quote attributed to Himmler reflects an attitude in which relegates moral choices to a lower plane, an type of end justifies the means argument. The quote is not about just lifeless and soul less bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
              None. It has not turned persons into corpses. But is that the only criteria?
              That is the criteria raised by shuny in citing that particular quote, hence the question.

The point being that strained comparisons like that don't serve much useful purpose

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That is the criteria raised by shuny in citing that particular quote, hence the question.

The point being that strained comparisons like that don't serve much useful purpose
                Not surprising that you dropped off the second paragraph.

The quote was less about producing dead bodies, but participating in evil to accomplish a desirable goal (which is NOT a justification of atrocities). It was about morality. The Nazis recognized the inherent immorality of their program, which is why they appealed to a type of strength which could rise above and transcend the traditions of western and Christian morality. Which is part of why they saw Christianity as weak.

Torture is difficult to justify and to set boundaries on.

Comment

Not surprising that you dropped off the second paragraph.
                  Because it wasn't dealing with what I was responding to or saying.

Comment

Such tortures were the to tools of Himmler.

It 's the philosophy that I am referring to, actually the number of bodies cannot be directly counted when they used immoral and illegal methods of torture radicalized Muslims at Guantanamo.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-24-2020, 07:49 PM.
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

These quotes are more direct to the point:

Source: http://www.hitlerschildren.com/article/1283-heinrich-himmler-quotes-from-a-leading-ss-war-criminal

“The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us. But, we don't ask for their love; only for their fear.”

“We have only one task, to stand firm and carry on the racial struggle without mercy.”

Heinrich Himmler

© Copyright Original Source

Frank

Comment

Because it wasn't dealing with what I was responding to or saying.
                        I bet you did great in school in literature class!

Comment

I bet you did great in school in literature class!
                          Straight As

Comment

How can you be sure there weren't any bodies? Because the Pentagon said there weren't?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              How can you be sure there weren't any bodies? Because the Pentagon said there weren't?
                              The enhanced interrogation techniques, the euphemism for torture techniques, did produce corpses. But that is not the main problem, with policies endorsing the use of torture.

The tensions between liberty and security, are we willing to crush a child's testicles to coerce the father to reveal information is an example of a line few would cross, the ticking time bomb scenario shows a line many are willing to cross.

Abu Ghraib is an example of the other extreme, little was accomplished and American interests were affected, military discipline collapsed along with the military police reserve unit's effectiveness.

Comment