Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment: Republican Senators leaving Senate Chamber During Impeachment Trial

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Maybe the Dems could try not speechifying until 2AM? They only had two pages of impeachment articles. That doesn't take yapping for days.

And this article [ https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/polit...und/index.html ] says it is happening on both sides. Nobody can stay seated that long DivineOb. You need to get up, walk around, take bathroom breaks, get something to eat, etc.
    The remedy for this would be for McConnell to have scheduled arguments over a longer set of days, not truncate the number of days with the understanding that senators would flout the rules and leave the "courtroom". Any juror doing so at trial would be removed immediately and held in contempt of court.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The remedy for this would be for McConnell to have scheduled arguments over a longer set of days, not truncate the number of days with the understanding that senators would flout the rules and leave the "courtroom". Any juror doing so at trial would be removed immediately and held in contempt of court.

--Sam
    McConnell didn't schedule it to last till 2AM either.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    McConnell didn't schedule it to last till 2AM either.
    The House managers are speaking for as long as the McConnell resolutions allow. If the trial begins at 1 PM and the House managers are allotted 24 hours over three days, House managers are going to speak until 9 PM.

If senators can't be expected to sit around and pay attention for that long, the problem is with the McConnell rules, not the prosecution.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Now there's this:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), forced to stay off of the campaign trail due to the Senate impeachment trial of President Trump, is reportedly struggling with boredom and has been spotted yawning, “shuffling in his chair,” and reading the back of a tin containing what appeared to be lozenges throughout the hours-long process.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...achment-trial/

It seems Shifty can't even keep those who already have the knives out for Trump interested!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Did any of your call your Senators? Please do so and let them know to take their oath seriously. It only takes a second. We get no better of a government than the one we demand.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Seems there were breaches in decorum on both sides of the aisle:

CNN anchor John Berman lectured the U.S. senators who didn't stay in their seats for every minute of Wednesday's opening arguments in the impeachment trial against President Trump ... "In fact, many of the senators of both parties were not at their desk at different times despite the rules which will require the apparently herculean task of sitting down for a few hours," Berman said.

Berman confronted his guest Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) about it on Thursday, and the Democrat defended his colleagues and their need for physical comfort, considering some breaks are three hours apart.

"I don't see it as any dereliction of duty to stand instead of sit in the chamber as long as you're standing quietly in the back, and not interfering with anybody's view," Whitehouse added.

Other people go in and out from the cloakroom for a variety of reasons.

"Sometimes nature even calls senators," he noted.

One senator, Rand Paul, was caught doing a crossword puzzle.

The CNN anchor was especially frustrated by Paul's exercise. When he mentioned it to Whitehouse, the senator chuckled. Berman didn't like that either.

"I'm glad he thinks it's funny," Berman said. "The president of the United States is on trial today."

Yet, lost on the CNN anchors was how Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-LA) was watching the President's Club golf tournament while the Judiciary Committee was debating the articles of impeachment during one of last month's hearings.

Surely watching sports during such a "solemn" process is a bit more egregious than a word game?

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...-golf-n2559986

So... much ado about nothing?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    'DA MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1'

actual senators: crossword, lozenge tin, golf tournament, sleeping, paper airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    I called Feinstein's office and they confirmed that she left early. They said she was "under the weather." What a load of rubbish ! I expressed how disappointed in her I was to hear that she left early

That'll do it!
    Last edited by demi-conservative; 01-23-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    . Bloomberg, by comparison, may be the candidate that most of the Founders hoped would arise: a wealthy patrician, much like them, who would use his vast resources and influence to defeat what he views as disruptive elements in the nation’s political system.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sen. Richard M. Burr is trying to help out his antsy Senate colleagues.

The North Carolina Republican is providing an assortment of fidget spinners and other gizmos to his GOP colleagues at this week’s Thursday lunch.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/congre...-cookout-lunch
    Babylon Bee or real life?

Edit:

it's real

Please to take seriously!!!!
    Last edited by demi-conservative; 01-23-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    . Bloomberg, by comparison, may be the candidate that most of the Founders hoped would arise: a wealthy patrician, much like them, who would use his vast resources and influence to defeat what he views as disruptive elements in the nation’s political system.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Seems the prosecution opening arguments had senators struggling to stay awake...

Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Jim Risch (R-RI) was the only one seen nodding off on Tuesday, but multiple senators were visibly tired on Wednesday, with both Republicans and Democrat senators caught appearing to be sleeping.

Within the first hour on Wednesday, Senate Intelligence Committee Ranking Member Mark Warner (D-VA) was seen leaning on his right arm with a hand covering his eyes, according to the Associated Press.

“He stayed that way for around 20 minutes, then shifted to rest his chin in the same hand, eyes closed, for about five more minutes,” the AP reported.

Also caught appearing to nod off was 2020 presidential candidate Bernie Sanders (I-VT), according to Courthouse News...

C-SPAN’s Craig Caplan reported that senators off-camera were seen yawning and rubbing their eyes.

Huffington Post’s justice reporter Ryan Reilly noted that senators on both sides of the aisle were disappearing: "Senators are getting pretty lax on attendance as the impeachment trial drags on. At one point I counted 14 empty seats on the Republican side and 13 on the Democratic side."

“The repetition and the long hours in back-to-back days of proceedings have left some senators yawning, stretching and pacing,” [the AP] reported.

Yahoo reported that other senators were seen passing notes and doing crossword puzzles.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...enators-alike/

And yet liberal pundits are selling this like it was one of the all time greatest legal presentations in history and as riveting as an episode of Law & Order. Perhaps they're not being entirely honest.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Did any of your call your Senators? Please do so and let them know to take their oath seriously. It only takes a second. We get no better of a government than the one we demand.
    Call her again.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein leaves #TrumpImpeachment trial early on Wednesday night.