Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impeachment: Republican Senators leaving Senate Chamber During Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Seems there were breaches in decorum on both sides of the aisle:

CNN anchor John Berman lectured the U.S. senators who didn't stay in their seats for every minute of Wednesday's opening arguments in the impeachment trial against President Trump ... "In fact, many of the senators of both parties were not at their desk at different times despite the rules which will require the apparently herculean task of sitting down for a few hours," Berman said.

Berman confronted his guest Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) about it on Thursday, and the Democrat defended his colleagues and their need for physical comfort, considering some breaks are three hours apart.

"I don't see it as any dereliction of duty to stand instead of sit in the chamber as long as you're standing quietly in the back, and not interfering with anybody's view," Whitehouse added.

Other people go in and out from the cloakroom for a variety of reasons.

"Sometimes nature even calls senators," he noted.

One senator, Rand Paul, was caught doing a crossword puzzle.

The CNN anchor was especially frustrated by Paul's exercise. When he mentioned it to Whitehouse, the senator chuckled. Berman didn't like that either.

"I'm glad he thinks it's funny," Berman said. "The president of the United States is on trial today."

Yet, lost on the CNN anchors was how Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-LA) was watching the President's Club golf tournament while the Judiciary Committee was debating the articles of impeachment during one of last month's hearings.

Surely watching sports during such a "solemn" process is a bit more egregious than a word game?

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...-golf-n2559986

So... much ado about nothing?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

'DA MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1'

actual senators: crossword, lozenge tin, golf tournament, sleeping, paper airplane.

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      I called Feinstein's office and they confirmed that she left early. They said she was "under the weather." What a load of rubbish ! I expressed how disappointed in her I was to hear that she left early

That'll do it!
      Last edited by demi-conservative; 01-23-2020, 10:42 PM.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Sen. Richard M. Burr is trying to help out his antsy Senate colleagues.

The North Carolina Republican is providing an assortment of fidget spinners and other gizmos to his GOP colleagues at this week’s Thursday lunch.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/congre...-cookout-lunch
        Babylon Bee or real life?

Edit:

it's real

Please to take seriously!!!!
        Last edited by demi-conservative; 01-23-2020, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Seems the prosecution opening arguments had senators struggling to stay awake...

Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Jim Risch (R-RI) was the only one seen nodding off on Tuesday, but multiple senators were visibly tired on Wednesday, with both Republicans and Democrat senators caught appearing to be sleeping.

Within the first hour on Wednesday, Senate Intelligence Committee Ranking Member Mark Warner (D-VA) was seen leaning on his right arm with a hand covering his eyes, according to the Associated Press.

“He stayed that way for around 20 minutes, then shifted to rest his chin in the same hand, eyes closed, for about five more minutes,” the AP reported.

Also caught appearing to nod off was 2020 presidential candidate Bernie Sanders (I-VT), according to Courthouse News...

C-SPAN’s Craig Caplan reported that senators off-camera were seen yawning and rubbing their eyes.

Huffington Post’s justice reporter Ryan Reilly noted that senators on both sides of the aisle were disappearing: "Senators are getting pretty lax on attendance as the impeachment trial drags on. At one point I counted 14 empty seats on the Republican side and 13 on the Democratic side."

“The repetition and the long hours in back-to-back days of proceedings have left some senators yawning, stretching and pacing,” [the AP] reported.

Yahoo reported that other senators were seen passing notes and doing crossword puzzles.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...enators-alike/

And yet liberal pundits are selling this like it was one of the all time greatest legal presentations in history and as riveting as an episode of Law & Order. Perhaps they're not being entirely honest.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
            Did any of your call your Senators? Please do so and let them know to take their oath seriously. It only takes a second. We get no better of a government than the one we demand.
            Call her again.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein leaves #TrumpImpeachment trial early on Wednesday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              McConnell didn't schedule it to last till 2AM either.
              McConnell is running a sham trial and betraying his oath to be impartial. This just about sums up Republican impartiality - as seen on Facebook: “Trump could shoot a Senator in the Senate trial and still get acquitted 53 – 47, i.e. unless he shot a Republican Senator. Then it would be 52 – 47”.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The prosecution had 24 uninterrupted hours to present its case. Now it's the defenese's turn. How is this not impartial?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man
                  The prosecution had 24 iunnterrupted hours to present its case. Now it's the defenese's turn. How is this not impartial?
                  Simple. The defense is allowed to present its case. "Impartial" according to the TDS crowd is when Schiff not only didn't allow a defense to be presented but even forbade Trump's lawyers from even being present.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The prosecution had 24 uninterrupted hours to present its case. Now it's the defenese's turn. How is this not impartial?
                    Merely taking the Senate leader at his word: "Mitch McConnell: 'I'm not an impartial juror' ahead of Senate impeachment trial".

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/17/p...ent/index.html
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

And yet he's still giving the Democrats every opportunity to convince 2/3 of the Senate that Trump should be removed from office. It's not his fault that the Democrat's case is so weak, and he has no obligation to help them prop it up.

Comment

And yet he's still giving the Democrats every opportunity to convince 2/3 of the Senate that Trump should be removed from office. It's not his fault that the Democrat's case is so weak, and he has no obligation to help them prop it up.
                        His obligation is to the Constitution and the American people to be impartial in seeking the truth, not in putting up road blocks to the truth for political reasons. Not wanting the truth to come out is for Trump supporters like you, but the Senate is supposed to lead with the truth.
                        McConnell prior to the trial: "There is no way this President is going to be impeached."

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          His obligation is to the Constitution and the American people to be impartial in seeking the truth, not in putting up road blocks to the truth for political reasons. Not wanting the truth to come out is for Trump supporters like you, but the Senate is supposed to lead with the truth.
                          He is being impartial. He's giving the prosecution and defense equal opportunity to make their case. The only reason liberals are complaining about it is because they know how weak the case really is.

Comment

He is being impartial. He's giving the prosecution and defense equal opportunity to make their case. The only reason liberals are complaining about it is because they know how weak the case really is.
                            Again, McConnell, prior to the trial: "there is no way this president is going to be impeached." I am coordinating with white house council." To be impartial would be to allow the direct witnesses and documentary evidence that was blocked from being seen by the defendent. Your argument against that is telling.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                              To be impartial would be to allow the direct witnesses and documentary evidence...
                              Which the prosecution could present if they had bothered to get it during the inquiry phase. That they didn't is not McConnell's problem.

Comment

Which the prosecution could present if they had bothered to get it during the inquiry phase. That they didn't is not McConnell's problem.
                                As you are well aware of, they tried and were blocked by the president during the impeachment hearings, but won't be blocked if they are called at trial. McConnell's problem, his responsibility, is to seek the truth, not to complain about process like you would have him do. I don't believe you have yet explained why you're afraid of hearing from these witnesses, or seeing the documentary evidence, MM. Why don't you just tell the truth?

Comment