Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mea maxima culpa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mea maxima culpa?

through my most grievous fault.

That is from the confiteor (an unabashed attempt to Christianize any atheist stumbling onto this thread), and also occurs near the end of this "lamestream" media opinion column:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...an-party-trial

um what's the point you are trying to make? And the article is behind a paywall for me.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

That is from the confiteor (an unabashed attempt to Christianize any atheist stumbling onto this thread), and also occurs near the end of this "lamestream" media opinion column:

That last line was not called for. But still, I find your distinctions surprising, and contrary to some of your post in other threads.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        That last line was not called for. But still, I find your distinctions surprising, and contrary to some of your post in other threads.
        Did you even read the column, or was that just another Tweb gratuitous comment?

Comment

It is hardly news that the Never Trumpers among the conservatives are among the most affected with TDS. There were also a number of other Republicans who fell hook, line and sinker for the concocted collusion delusion and wanted Trump gone. For the latter group that ceased as they began to realize that they had been played causing many to become staunch supporters as a result.
          Last edited by rogue06; 01-24-2020, 06:53 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It is hardly news that the Never Trumpers among the conservatives are among the most affected with TDS. There were also a number of other Republicans who fell hook, line and sinker for the concocted collusion delusion and wanted Trump gone. For the latter group that ceased as they began to realize that they had been played causing many to become staunch supporters as a result.
            A nice explanation, except it does not address the Christian moral view. Galli noted the impact of Trump's candidacy and then presidency has had on Christian discourse.

If Christian ethical considerations can be shelved so easily, then is it really Christian? Do any apply to Never trumpets or the pro trumpers:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...e-Christianity

Comment

A nice explanation, except it does not address the Christian moral view.
              So you start a thread and then gripe that a response doesn't address something raised by you some ten days ago in a different thread

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It is hardly news that the Never Trumpers ...
                You've misspelled "respectable."

... among the conservatives ...
                There are conservatives who aren't respectable?

... are among the most affected with TDS.
                Hopefully, they'll recover before they're found scraping the gutters of 4chan to fill casual conversation.

There were also a number of other Republicans who fell hook, line and sinker for the concocted collusion delusion and wanted Trump gone. For the latter group that ceased as they began to realize that they had been played causing many to become staunch supporters as a result.
                I'm not entirely sure what you're doing with that Kool-aid pitcher, but it needs to stop. That's not natural.
                “The GOP needs to elect Trump, then impeach him,” wrote Jonathan Ashbach, a conservative writer for the Federalist, a right-wing online magazine, in October of that year.

Nothing about Trump has changed since conservative leaders once declared openly that “If we nominate Donald Trump we will get destroyed. And we will deserve it” and “He isn’t a Republican. He isn’t a conservative” and that he has "a character and temperament unfit for the leader of the free world.”

As Mueller's report made clear, there was never any doubt he accepted and encouraged Russian interference in the 2016 election, even if he did not then have the resources to assist their efforts directly. As the House investigations have made clear, he has acquired those resources.

His one saving grace lies in his ability to successfully repel the competence necessary to do his worst effectively.

With all due respect to the o/p, the irony in Ms. Heffernan's piece is not, as it might appear, its attempt to Christianize Michael Cohen, but its failure to note the unsuccessful Christianization of Trump himself.

He has sinned, he has sinned egregiously, and he has never confessed.
                Confiteor Deo omnipotenti,
                beatæ Mariæ semper Virgini,
                beato Michaeli Archangelo,
                beato Ioanni Baptistæ,
                sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo,
                omnibus Sanctis, et vobis, fratres:
                quia peccavi nimis
                cogitatione, verbo et opere:
                mea culpa, mea culpa,
                mea maxima culpa.

Without confession, there can be no forgiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                  .......... Snipped

With all due respect to the o/p, the irony in Ms. Heffernan's piece is not, as it might appear, its attempt to Christianize Michael Cohen, but its failure to note the unsuccessful Christianization of Trump himself.

beato Ioanni Baptistæ,
                  quia peccavi nimis
                  mea culpa, mea culpa,
                  mea maxima culpa.

You have me curious, did you go to a Christian school, a Catholic education?

Comment

You've misspelled "respectable."

There are conservatives who aren't respectable?

Hopefully, they'll recover before they're found scraping the gutters of 4chan to fill casual conversation.

I'm not entirely sure what you're doing with that Kool-aid pitcher, but it needs to stop. That's not natural.
                    “The GOP needs to elect Trump, then impeach him,” wrote Jonathan Ashbach, a conservative writer for the Federalist, a right-wing online magazine, in October of that year.

Nothing about Trump has changed since conservative leaders once declared openly that “If we nominate Donald Trump we will get destroyed. And we will deserve it” and “He isn’t a Republican. He isn’t a conservative” and that he has "a character and temperament unfit for the leader of the free world.”

As Mueller's report made clear, there was never any doubt he accepted and encouraged Russian interference in the 2016 election, even if he did not then have the resources to assist their efforts directly. As the House investigations have made clear, he has acquired those resources.

His one saving grace lies in his ability to successfully repel the competence necessary to do his worst effectively.

beato Ioanni Baptistæ,
                    quia peccavi nimis
                    mea culpa, mea culpa,
                    mea maxima culpa.

So we have yet another one still talking about the collusion delusion -- while claiming I'm the one drinking the Kool-aid

Comment

So we have yet another one still talking about the collusion delusion -- while claiming I'm the one drinking the Kool-aid
                      What did the Mueller report say about collusion?

Comment

You have me curious, did you go to a Christian school, a Catholic education?
                        An odd thing happened when I became an ex-Christian. I lost my bias against Catholics. That's a rich tradition you have there.

Comment

So you start a thread and then gripe that a response doesn't address something raised by you some ten days ago in a different thread
                          Is this thread really different from the other thread? It hinges on precisely the same things as the other thread: TDS, susceptibility of Christians to arguments and worldviews, and how Christian ethical considerations are carried out in the imperfect and fallen world.

In math and science, some problems may look to be unrelated, but are in actuality the same problems but in a different guise. That is called an isomorphism. In ethics, problems which involve the same moral principles but look different are in actuality the same problem (from a moral perspective). I don't think the similar ethical problems have a name analogous to isomorphism, but the principle is the same.

Comment

In math and science, some problems may look to be unrelated, but are in actuality the same problems but in a different guise. That is called an isomorphism.
                            Homomorphism would be more apt, I'm thinking.

</mathprof>

Comment

Homomorphism would be more apt, I'm thinking.

</mathprof>
                              Thanks, I guess I should be more careful when it comes to morphing. :)

Comment