Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

. . . the Real Presence in the Eucharist or another Jesus another gospel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• . . . the Real Presence in the Eucharist or another Jesus another gospel.

". . . But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, . . . or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, . . ." -- 2 Corinthians 11:3-4.

Now I honestly believe that the claims of the so-called Real Presence in the Eucharist is a false Jesus and a false gospel. So what I am asking here is if you believe such, how did you come to that belief?

Now I believe being born of God is what God does for those whom He saves.

"Who were born . . . of God." -- John 1:13.

"Whosoever believeth Jesus is the Christ is born of God, . . ." -- 1 John 5:1.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me [Jesus saying this] hath everlasting life." -- John 6:47.

It is just that simple. God does the saving. God does the keeping.
    Last edited by 37818; 05-23-2014, 12:48 AM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

I'm not sure where you're going with this. At first glance, most of your post has no explicit connection to the Real Presence in the Eucharist. Could you clarify the connection?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Thank you for bringing up, St Paul:

"The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a sharing in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a sharing in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. Consider the people of Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices partners in the altar?"

Now one can try and define the meaning of the Eucharist in many ways, and the above words speak of participation in the body and blood of Christ's sacrifice, the latter element perhaps only hinted at here, but one pont is crystal clear, namely, that the Eucharist should be a source of communion among all of us, as members of the body of Christ. I do not believe that Jesus, on the night before he died, celebrated a final meal with his disciples and thereby intended to institute theological dissension and a source of division among his followers. And yet, the various interpretations of the Eucharist have been a matter of bitter dispute in the history of the church, especially since the Reformation. I do not believe that was Jesus' intent.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        Thank you for bringing up, St Paul:

"The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a sharing in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a sharing in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. Consider the people of Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices partners in the altar?"

Now one can try and define the meaning of the Eucharist in many ways, and the above words speak of participation in the body and blood of Christ's sacrifice, the latter element perhaps only hinted at here, but one pont is crystal clear, namely, that the Eucharist should be a source of communion among all of us, as members of the body of Christ. I do not believe that Jesus, on the night before he died, celebrated a final meal with his disciples and thereby intended to institute theological dissension and a source of division among his followers. And yet, the various interpretations of the Eucharist have been a matter of bitter dispute in the history of the church, especially since the Reformation. I do not believe that was Jesus' intent.
        Same way with the Holy Spirit, Rob. When Jesus told His disciples He would "pray the Father" that the Holy Spirit be sent so we would not be alone in our walk, I can't believe He intended for the Holy Spirit to be a constant source of division in our Churches. Yet many of our arguments come about over who "has the Holy Spirit", when one "gets" the Holy Spirit, whether or not tongues is required as proof of Salvation, etc.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Same way with the Holy Spirit, Rob. When Jesus told His disciples He would "pray the Father" that the Holy Spirit be sent so we would not be alone in our walk, I can't believe He intended for the Holy Spirit to be a constant source of division in our Churches. Yet many of our arguments come about over who "has the Holy Spirit", when one "gets" the Holy Spirit, whether or not tongues is required as proof of Salvation, etc.
          Same thing with Mary too. Do you think Jesus likes his followers bringing his mother into their fights with one another? But, of course, we all know that Mary does help Notre Dame win football games.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            Same thing with Mary too. Do you think Jesus likes his followers bringing his mother into their fights with one another? But, of course, we all know that Mary does help Notre Dame win football games.
            Scuse me while I find some paper towels to wipe the coffee splatters off my monitor.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Scuse me while I find some paper towels to wipe the coffee splatters off my monitor.
              Not the first time a computer screen has protected me!

Comment

I don't think the belief in the real presence is necessary for salvation, however, I find that a lack of belief in the real presence dismisses the importance of communion, and it also allows for some irreverence, as well as the relevance of it to the Christian walk. and dismisses the scriptures that strongly imply that as we partake in communion we are partaking in the Sacrifice of Christ. I mean we can agree that if we partake of baptism we participate in the resurrection so why ought we not partake and reverence the communion. I am more inclined that communion is holy and should be done kneeling and prefer the Lutheran/Anglican belief on it, but am less inclined to the Catholic belief on it.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                  I don't think the belief in the real presence is necessary for salvation, however, I find that a lack of belief in the real presence dismisses the importance of communion, and it also allows for some irreverence, as well as the relevance of it to the Christian walk.
                  Before I married, I dated a Catholic girl, and attended mass with her. That "real presence" became a point of discussion, and a lot of her Catholic friends admitted they didn't really believe it -- they just went along with it "because they were supposed to". I think this can be true in any Church. We don't teach the "real presence" in the sense that Catholics do, but nor do we have any "irreverence" related to it. When we celebrate "The Lord's Supper" - the whole service is dedicated to it.

and dismisses the scriptures that strongly imply that as we partake in communion we are partaking in the Sacrifice of Christ.
                  Would you mind listing those scriptures?

I mean we can agree that if we partake of baptism we participate in the resurrection so why ought we not partake and reverence the communion. I am more inclined that communion is holy and should be done kneeling and prefer the Lutheran/Anglican belief on it, but am less inclined to the Catholic belief on it.
                  I think a major component is the attitude of the recipient. I suspect you'll agree with that. No matter how "reverent" the Church makes it - the onus is still on the individual to "examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body."

Comment

One need only look at the Jewish ritual that the Eucharist was modeled after to excuse those arguments. Every item in the Shabbat meal had a significance and reference to Messiah. None were actually Him, but all were symbols to point to Him, from the plates to the salt to the bread to the prayers offered. Offending any of these items was akin to offending Messiah Himself.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      One need only look at the Jewish ritual that the Eucharist was modeled after to excuse those arguments. Every item in the Shabbat meal had a significance and reference to Messiah. None were actually Him, but all were symbols to point to Him, from the plates to the salt to the bread to the prayers offered. Offending any of these items was akin to offending Messiah Himself.
                      and the wine!

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                        I don't think the belief in the real presence is necessary for salvation, however, I find that a lack of belief in the real presence dismisses the importance of communion, and it also allows for some irreverence, as well as the relevance of it to the Christian walk.
                        Could not disagree with you more on this. This implies that without actually participating in the sacrifice, there is no way to honor the same. To me, it seem you are saying that because I did not serve in the Armed Forces and participate in true Battle, attending a Memorial Service has a measure of irreverence and dismisses the importance of the service by others...am I misreading you?
                        and dismisses the scriptures that strongly imply that as we partake in communion we are partaking in the Sacrifice of Christ.
                        Where are those again?
                        I mean we can agree that if we partake of baptism we participate in the resurrection so why ought we not partake and reverence the communion. I am more inclined that communion is holy and should be done kneeling and prefer the Lutheran/Anglican belief on it, but am less inclined to the Catholic belief on it.
                        Yes, the Transubstantiation vs Consubstantiation discussion is an interesting one...and if I were shown that the real presences was necessary, I too would be more inclined to the Lutheran/Anglican belief as well...
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

IMO it's not accurate to say that the Eucharist was modeled after the Passover meal. It was instituted during the Passover meal, and uses two elements from it. Regardless, they were a shadow or type pointing to the reality which is Jesus; how is that an argument against the real presence?
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            IMO it's not accurate to say that the Eucharist was modeled after the Passover meal. It was instituted during the Passover meal, and uses two elements from it. Regardless, they were a shadow or type pointing to the reality which is Jesus; how is that an argument against the real presence?
                            Because it was never intended to be understood that way. It's like the Ark of The Covenant. It was not YHWH Himself, nor did it become YHWH when His manifested presence rested upon it.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Because it was never intended to be understood that way. It's like the Ark of The Covenant. It was not YHWH Himself, nor did it become YHWH when His manifested presence rested upon it.
                              God never declared Himself to be the Ark of the Covenant.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X