Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

On diplomatic immunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On diplomatic immunity

Diplomatic immunity has many opponents, the frustration of local law enforcement, victims, and local citizens boils up whenever immunity is used as a shield to harbor wrong doers. It is an issue in New York City home to UN and an endless supply of diplomats with immunity.

national public radio has a piece about an American with diplomatic immunity, who fled the country to avoid the local judicial process.

But the country is not known to have kangaroo courts. All cracks about wearing powdered wigs aside (c'mon, even brits gotta see humor in that), the country is the UK.

Should we shield an American while demanding changes in NYC?

It's necessary to protect our own diplomats in countries that are hostile to us, so they can't arrest our diplomats. So we have to do the same for theirs.

Unfortunately, it allows some bad actors to get away with crimes. Unless the host country can get the Embassy to turn over the miscreant, or charge the person with espionage. Then all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      It's necessary to protect our own diplomats in countries that are hostile to us, so they can't arrest our diplomats. So we have to do the same for theirs.

Unfortunately, it allows some bad actors to get away with crimes. Unless the host country can get the Embassy to turn over the miscreant, or charge the person with espionage. Then all bets are off.
      Should the diplomat's dependent be forced to return to UK, which is not hostile?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        Should the diplomat's dependent be forced to return to UK, which is not hostile?
        I don't know what you are talking about. What dependent and what diplomat? Are you asking about some specific case?

Comment

I don't know what you are talking about. What dependent and what diplomat? Are you asking about some specific case?
          Probably the hit and run death of a young man by the wife of a us diplomat.

Comment

It is an issue in New York City home to UN and an endless supply of diplomats with immunity.
            There are a number of reasons why I think the United Nations should be kicked off of US soil and the property put to better use. Maybe they could give it to Trump to turn into a classy resort!
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I forgot to provide the link to the story, which was about a diplomat's wife https://www.npr.org/2020/01/24/79914...-u-k-car-crash

Comment

I forgot to provide the link to the story, which was about a diplomat's wife https://www.npr.org/2020/01/24/79914...-u-k-car-crash
                I really donÂ’t know anything about diplomatic immunity But aside from that this is a sad case all round and I just wish the lady wouldÂ’ve stayed and seen the case through as initially HarryÂ’s parents were understanding as to the fact that the woman had made a mistake and reports I read in the paper said theyÂ’d said they knew she was a mother to three youngish children and so they didnÂ’t want to see her jailed. However now I think she will have lost that sympathy. I know the accident happened not far from the American airforce base where the woman lived and I wonder if personnel drive on right hand side on the base or if the roads on the base follow British road rules. In the last while there has been video footage of another car from the base driving on the wrong side of the road and apparently this is not the only car seen doing this. It can be confusing when changing from one system to another and many people appreciate this (mainland Europe drives on the right hand side like the USA) but confusion costs lives and Harry shouldnÂ’t get lost in all this. I donÂ’t know if this lady will ever come back to the U.K. but since this case is so publicised in both USA and U.K. something international needs to be done in HarryÂ’s name to help drivers cope with changing from one driving system to another. At the very least more signage on small U.K. country roads near US bases telling people to drive on the left. I believe our roundabouts also initially cause confusion to people used to driving on the different side of the road.
                Last edited by Abigail; 01-27-2020, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                  I really donÂ’t know anything about diplomatic immunity But aside from that this is a sad case all round and I just wish the lady wouldÂ’ve stayed and seen the case through as initially HarryÂ’s parents were understanding as to the fact that the woman had made a mistake and reports I read in the paper said theyÂ’d said they knew she was a mother to three youngish children and so they didnÂ’t want to see her jailed. However now I think she will have lost that sympathy. I know the accident happened not far from the American airforce base where the woman lived and I wonder if personnel drive on right hand side on the base or if the roads on the base follow British road rules. In the last while there has been video footage of another car from the base driving on the wrong side of the road and apparently this is not the only car seen doing this. It can be confusing when changing from one system to another and many people appreciate this (mainland Europe drives on the right hand side like the USA) but confusion costs lives and Harry shouldnÂ’t get lost in all this. I donÂ’t know if this lady will ever come back to the U.K. but since this case is so publicised in both USA and U.K. something international needs to be done in HarryÂ’s name to help drivers cope with changing from one driving system to another. At the very least more signage on small U.K. country roads near US bases telling people to drive on the left. I believe our roundabouts also initially cause confusion to people used to driving on the different side of the road.
                  Thanks for your response, it is intersting to hear the perspective of the Brits in this.

Comment

This seems to be a clear cut case where we have the same laws against hit and run and manslaughter as the UK. I think they should hand her over, or prosecute here somehow. This seems like an abuse of Diplomatic immunity.

Comment