Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump at March for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And, apparently, how big of a bribe your parents are willing to give to the admissions officer.
    Bribe? Don’t you mean ‘donation’? The football team really needs new uniforms.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      Affirmative action is real, and you're just in denial.
      Getting into Harvard is a big deal. You are just in denial.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        The idea that Einstein struggled in mathematics as a child is an urban legend. He excelled as a student. It is true that Edison was called "addled" by a teacher, though.
        yes - he asked questions that the teacher could not answer or that the teacher thought (due to their own lack of understanding) didn't need to be asked.

Gauss got in trouble in elementary school once because the teacher wanted to busy the class by making them add all the numbers between 1 and 100. The young Gauss took a few moments and spat out the answer, having figured out on the spur of the moment the now commonly used equation n(n+1)/2 for the sum.

Often the truly brilliant make their teachers lives more difficult.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Getting into Harvard is a big deal.

(To be fair, many who get in have big connections, yuge ones. That's a big deal.)
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

The idea that Einstein struggled in mathematics as a child is an urban legend. He excelled as a student. It is true that Edison was called "addled" by a teacher, though.
            I don't know why I remembered that --- probably because it was the first time I had ever heard the word "addled", and it was associated with a famous person.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              yes - he asked questions that the teacher could not answer or that the teacher thought (due to their own lack of understanding) didn't need to be asked.

Gauss got in trouble in elementary school once because the teacher wanted to busy the class by making them add all the numbers between 1 and 100. The young Gauss took a few moments and spat out the answer, having figured out on the spur of the moment the now commonly used equation n(n+1)/2 for the sum.

Often the truly brilliant make their teachers lives more difficult.

Jim
              My teachers always hated me for that very reason.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                My teachers always hated me for that very reason.

My teachers also hated me because I was smart.

Sorry, I meant smart aleck.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  My teachers also hated me because I was smart.

Sorry, I meant smart aleck.
                  They'd get mad and snarl, "Don't get smart with me young man!" to which I'd retort, "but isn't making me smarter your job?"

That inevitably led to being assigned more detention which I steadfastly refused to serve. Apparently they had never heard George Carlin before.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is sufficiently trivial that I am comfortable saying, "Multiple Google links support my point, so it's true enough. So there! Nyah!"
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      They'd get mad and snarl, "Don't get smart with me young man!" to which I'd retort, "but isn't making me smarter your job?"

That inevitably led to being assigned more detention which I steadfastly refused to serve. Apparently they had never heard George Carlin before.
                      I'll admit that I struggled in high school, I did reasonably but not spectacularly well in college getting my first degree, and then 10-years ago when I went for a second degree, I ended with a 3.7 GPA and was on the college's honor roll all 8 semesters I attended. So apparently I'm getting smarter as I get older!
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Considering how much many of his views have changed in just a few years I'll always be a bit skeptical. But even if you're right that its always about him, we survived 8 years of that during the previous Administration from someone with an unparalleled gift for turning any discussion about anything into about him.

Aside from that, and more importantly his attendance, whatever the motive is, has helped draw more attention to the March for Life than it gets from the MSM over an entire decade. Maybe longer. That, in itself, is a good thing.

And FWIU of what he said there, even if you're right, and is for ulterior motives, was a good message that at least some of the MSM will at least mention. That, in itself, is a good thing.
                        Apparently, even though Trump attended, the Big 3 networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) spent less than 30 seconds altogether covering it on their morning and evening broadcasts.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment