Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump bribery policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump bribery policy

The anit-cooruption president, Trump, apparently trying to overturn law banning bribery of foreign officials.

http://nymag.com/intelligence/2020/0...orruption.html

http://www.salon.com/2020/01/25/self...ign-officials/
    Last edited by JimL; 01-25-2020, 11:31 AM.

The act was passed after the Nixon era, when the Watergate special prosecutor found that US companies were secretly making campaign contributions to US politicians and funneling money to foreign entities. (You can read a great history of the act’s genesis here). Defense giant Lockheed had paid millions to the prime minister of Japan, and oil giant Exxon forked out cash to political parties in Italy, for example.
    The law is mostly virtue signalling. There are no more secret campaign contributions to US politicians, but now there is billions of open 'lobbying'.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      The anit-cooruption president, Trump, apparently trying to overturn law banning bribery of foreign officials.

http://nymag.com/intelligence/2020/0...orruption.html

http://www.salon.com/2020/01/25/self...ign-officials/
      I clicked on your first link, Jim, and ... how did they get a picture of you?

Screenshot 2020-01-25 11.50.33.jpg
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oooooops.....

SECOND link....

Screenshot 2020-01-25 11.52.43.jpg

Looks like your entire case vanished into thin air!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Because I love you, Jim, I did a little homework, and I think this is the link you intended to use...

Trump Tried to Legalize Bribery. Maybe He Wasn’t Worried About Ukrainian Corruption.

And the Salon one... (great source, by the way! ) ... still working on that one.

ETA -- Perhaps this one? Self-declared corruption fighter Trump wants to make it easier to bribe foreign officials

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I clicked on your first link, Jim, and ... how did they get a picture of you?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42368[/ATTACH]
            Oooooops.....

SECOND link....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42369[/ATTACH]

Looks like your entire case vanished into thin air!
            That's what happens when you just and cut and paste your talking points without checking the links to make sure they're valid.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              That's what happens when you just and cut and paste your talking points without checking the links to make sure they're valid.
              I tried allowing for the possibility that it was my browser (sometimes my DuckDuckGo AddOn messes things up) but I tried it on two other computers, so....

At least I tried to read the articles!!!

Comment

For many businesses, bribery is a way of life. My company used to have a project manager who would always add "grease money" to his budget for when he had to deal with union run venues in places like Detroit and Chicago.

"Hey, can I get a dock to unload my truck?"
                The foreman looks over the dozen or so open docks.
                "I don't know, man. We're pretty busy. If you park your truck over there for now, I'll see if I can get something to open up in about six-hours."
                "Well, here, why don't you look over my paper work." He hands the foreman a clipboard. The foreman flips the top page back and sees a stack of $20 bills.
                "You know what, I think I see- yes, over there, dock 13 just opened up. Go ahead and pull your truck in, and you have a wonderful day, sir."

Comment

For many businesses, bribery is a way of life. My company used to have a project manager who would always add "grease money" to his budget for when he had to deal with union run venues in places like Detroit and Chicago.

"I don't know, man. We're pretty busy. If you park your truck over there for now, I'll see if I can get something to open up in about six-hours."
                  "Well, here, why don't you look over my paper work." He hands the foreman a clipboard. The foreman flips the top page back and sees a stack of $20 bills.
                  "You know what, I think I see- yes, over there, dock 13 just opened up. Go ahead and pull your truck in, and you have a wonderful day, sir."
                  Yeah, and just TRY to do business internationally.

Heck, on our mission trips to Mexico, "just across the border", we knew well ahead of time that part of our missions money was going to have to be used for Mexican officials to "look the other way" or to allow us access, or to park our bus, or... just about anything.

It was not at all unusual for a Mexican official to board our bus on entering Mexico, the isle of the bus being PILED with construction material, and as the driver hands the Mexican official a $50 bill, he "searches" the bus and sees nothing of interest at all.

It's a way of life.

Comment

Heck, on our mission trips to Mexico, "just across the border", we knew well ahead of time that part of our missions money was going to have to be used for Mexican officials to "look the other way" or to allow us access, or to park our bus, or... just about anything.
                    Church mission trips? Church money spent on bribes??? Someone call emergency, sanctimonious people are going to start fainting.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                      Church mission trips? Church money spent on bribes??? Someone call emergency, sanctimonious people are going to start fainting.
                      There were even more 'horrid' stories of Christians getting truckloads of Bibles into communist countries...

Comment

Trumps main defense is that he was concerned about corruption, even though his entire Ukraine scheme was based on corruption, but the fact that he tried to overturn bribery laws underscores the fact that Trump is not only not concerned about corruption, he's all for it. His scheme to have Biden investigated wasn't about corruption, not to mention that you all know that,it was about smearing a political opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Trumps main defense is that he was concerned about corruption....
                          Did you actually watch the beginning of the Republican response?

Comment

Did you actually watch the beginning of the Republican response?
                            I did, along with the entire response, which was extremely weak. As Schiff assumed it would be, it was mostly a false complaint about process. I'll tell you what else they did, they made the defense case for them when it comes to allowing witnesses and documentary evidence into the trial. Did you glean that?

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                              Trumps main defense is that he was concerned about corruption...
                              This has nothing to do with corruption. Trump's concern is that US businesses will continue to lose opportunities because they're not allowed the same "access" to foreign politicians as their international competitors. Trying to tie this issue into Ukrainian corruption and the impeachment trial is nothing but a red herring, and you've swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.

Comment