Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bolten says trump wanted the aid frozen until he had answers to inquires sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    Did you think I meant like they were going to Yovanovitch him? Come on.

Since some of you obviously need a little extra help here's the definition of the word threat I got from Google just now

a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.
    And which part of the letter do you think fits this definition? Exact quote, if you don't mind. No Shifty Schiff dramatizations.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      CNN claims that the White House "issued a formal threat". Now you're saying they are merely taking steps to prevent publication.

Which is it?
      And now that I've taken a look at the actual letter, even the underlined is not correct. They're not saying Bolton can't publish the book. They're saying he can publish it after certain classified information has been removed. There's not even an implied "or else".

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        "If you publish this book without the redactions we demand, you will be liable to lawsuits, possible forfeiture of profits, assets, or imprisonment" constitutes a legal threat.

--Sam
        I'm not seeing that sentence in the letter that was posted to twitter. Is there another version of the letter floating around?

Comment

And which part of the letter do you think fits this definition? Exact quote, if you don't mind. No Shifty Schiff dramatizations.
          I'll just steal Sam's answer which I realized is probably the right way to express things (and why I edited an earlier post).

Also there is a reference to "Under federal law" in the letter which I'm sure lays out the punishment for noncompliance. Clearly you and I both know that for a mortal to disclose Top Secret information carries serious penalties even without including that in the letter.
          Last edited by DivineOb; 01-29-2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

And now that I've taken a look at the actual letter, even the underlined is not correct. They're not saying Bolton can't publish the book. They're saying he can publish it after certain classified information has been removed. There's not even an implied "or else".
            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I'm not seeing that sentence in the letter that was posted to twitter. Is there another version of the letter floating around?
            Apply your own post: The WH is saying that if Bolton removes the purportedly classified content in the book then he can publish it. If he tries to publish the book without removing that content, what happens? What's the implication?

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I'll just steal Sam's answer
              Sam's answer appears to be a Shifty Schiff DramatizationTM and not a quote from the letter itself.

EPd6iFOXUAQ1Iiv.jpg

Comment

Sam's answer appears to be a Shifty Schiff DramatizationTM and not a quote from the letter itself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42427[/ATTACH]
                Also there is a reference to "Under federal law" in the letter which I'm sure lays out the punishment for noncompliance. Clearly you and I both know that for a mortal to disclose Top Secret information carries serious penalties even without including that in the letter.

Comment

• Fake News deceives again. Mountain Man, there is no date in that picture of the letter. Why is that?

White House Told Bolton His Book Contains 'TOP SECRET' Information - 3 Days Before NYT Leak
                  https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...-days-nyt-leak
                  CNN makes it sound like that the letter was a response to the NYT trash article and the resulting screaming, a threat to Bolton after allegations were public, when the letter was sent before that.

Fake News!

Last edited by demi-conservative; 01-29-2020, 02:56 PM.
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42427[/ATTACH]
                    Sams answer would be the (potential) penalties for disclosing TS information.

Now, as long as the information identified as TS are not Bolton's comments about Trumps motives to hold the payments, it could be on the up and up. Bolton could have accidentally included classified information.

But those elements would only be classified at that level if on a whim Trump made them so after the fact and as a pre-emptive strike to protect himself, which again points the the need to impeach him.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Here's the third paragraph in the CNN article

The letter, which is dated January 23, said some of the information was classified at the "top secret" level, meaning it "reasonably could be expected to cause exceptionally grave harm to the national security."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        Apply your own post: The WH is saying that if Bolton removes the purportedly classified content in the book then he can publish it. If he tries to publish the book without removing that content, what happens? What's the implication?

--Sam
                        The implication is, of course, that he will be in violation of the law.

Suppose it's true that his manuscript does contain classified and top secret information. Is it not the duty of the relevant agencies to inform him and give him the opportunity to rectify the matter? That can not be reasonably construed as a threat.

Comment

Suppose it's true that his manuscript does contain classified and top secret information. Is it not the duty of the relevant agencies to inform him and give him the opportunity to rectify the matter? That can not be reasonably construed as a threat.
                          Can y'all hear the backpedaling?

Comment

As I said, as long as it is legitimately classified information, it could be on the up and up.

The NYT disclosure isn't that unless Trump is again abusing his power as POTUS.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                              Mountain Man, there is no date in that picture of the letter. Why is that?
                              Good catch.

So the leak happened after Bolton received the letter. Interesting. Was this Bolton's way of retaliating?

Comment

Can y'all hear the backpedaling?
                                You're pumping your legs as fast as you can.

So now we're left with:

1) A letter that can in no way be construed as a threat
                                2) Sent to Bolton and his lawyers several days before the leak even happened

Puts a different spin on things, doesn't it?

Comment