Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bolten says trump wanted the aid frozen until he had answers to inquires sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Representative Mark Meadows:

"We’re talking about an unpublished manuscript that only ‘anonymous sources’ have seen, leaked by someone at the 11th hour, just as Democrats are losing what little impeachment momentum they had left. We’ve seen this playbook used before. Americans won’t buy it.

"The latest New York Times report may provide fodder for a political narrative, but it doesn’t change the facts. And in reality, the facts haven’t changed since day one of this circus. The call transcript shows zero link between aid and political investigations. The aid was ultimately released with no political investigations from Ukraine. Ukraine’s leadership had no knowledge of the hold on aid until an August 29 media report. President Zelensky and President Trump both say 'no pressure.' And in five U.S.-Ukraine meetings between the hold and release of aid, not one time was any link between aid and political investigations discussed."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/julior...cript-n2560171

It's surprising just how quickly this story is unraveling. Seems we've all gotten pretty good at diffusing fake news "bombshells".
    It only 'unravels' if Bolton denies the statement, or perhaps if it is not included in the book. That there would be 10's or 100's of Trump sycophants trying to get out in front of it is a given.

And the fact Bolton would make such a claim is EXACTLY WHY THE REPUBLICANS DO NOT WANT WITNESSES.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I do it on occasion, you do it all the time. Clearly, nothing is preventing you, it's not a matter of can or can't, it's a matter of does or doesn't.

No I don’t, I do it to you because you can’t treat anyone, with different opinions about Trump, with the slightest amount of respect and than the best part is you throw a temper tantrum when anyone dares to respond to you, in the same manner. You set the tone, so why are you mad when others respond in kind?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And the fact Bolton would make such a claim is EXACTLY WHY THE REPUBLICANS DO NOT WANT WITNESSES.
        We still don't even know if Bolton made the claim. Remember, this is still just a "sources say" story from the disreputable New York Times and published with suspicious timing. And already Mulvaney is on record officially denying claims made by the Times and the supposed "manuscript", so we're already on thin ice, and it hasn't even been 24-hours since the "leak".
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

We still don't even know if Bolton made the claim. Remember, this is still just a "sources say" story from the disreputable New York Times and published with suspicious timing. And already Mulvaney is on record officially denying claims made by the Times and the supposed "manuscript", so we're already on thin ice, and it hasn't even been 24-hours since the "leak".
          Yup, the Times is admitting that they have not seen the manuscript themselves but are yet again going with the notorious "sources say."

Like that has worked out soooo well for them the past few years.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Yup, the Times is admitting that they have not seen the manuscript themselves but are yet again going with the notorious "sources say."

Like that has worked out soooo well for them the past few years.
            No one -- not Bolton, through his spokesperson and his attorney, nor the White House -- has denied the content of NYT's reporting of what Bolton's book alleges.

It usually takes a day or two after a big news story for the counter-spin to really settle and get everyone on the same page but this is really the weakest limb to walk out on.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              No one -- not Bolton, through his spokesperson and his attorney, nor the White House -- has denied the content of NYT's reporting of what Bolton's book alleges.

It usually takes a day or two after a big news story for the counter-spin to really settle and get everyone on the same page but this is really the weakest limb to walk out on.

--Sam
              Bolton's book is currently being vetted. IIRC he (or his representatives) cannot comment until that has been finished.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"If he doesn't deny it then it must be true!" That child's logic.

And by the way, Trump has already blasted the story as false:

"I haven’t seen a manuscript, but I can tell you nothing was ever said to John Bolton. I guess he’s writing a book. I have not seen it."

Mulvaney is also on record saying that the claims made by the Times are false.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-27-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

"If he doesn't deny it then it must be true!" That child's logic.

And by the way, Trump has already blasted the story as false:

"I haven’t seen a manuscript, but I can tell you nothing was ever said to John Bolton. I guess he’s writing a book. I have not seen it."

Mulvaney is also on record saying that the claims made by the Times are false.
                  Although it does appear that Trump thinks that Bolton did say it.

Comment

Bolton's book is currently being vetted. IIRC he (or his representatives) cannot comment until that has been finished.
                    Bolton has no legal restriction preventing him from saying that's not in the book, just as he has no legal restriction preventing him from denying that a flying pirate ship makes an appearance.

He might not be able to talk about what's in the book, absent a subpoena, but he can talk about what he didn't write.

--Sam
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Mulvaney is on record saying that the alleged assertions by Bolton regarding him in the book are false, an important distinction. Of course, Mulvaney's denial now directly contradicts what he said at his press conference, both about the linkage of aid and his discussions about the DNC server with Trump, so maybe getting this rat's nest of liars and fiends under oath would serve the pursuit of truth well.

--Sam

Comment

Although it does appear that Trump thinks that Bolton did say it.
                        Right, and Bolton was apparently so concerned about Trump's potentially criminal behavior that...

...he didn't say anything to anyone and instead saved it for his tell-all book, the details of which happened to leak to the New York Times in the middle of the impeachment trial and on the eve of the book going up for preorder.

Like I said, something about this whole story stinks.

Comment

Bolton has no legal restriction preventing him from saying that's not in the book, just as he has no legal restriction preventing him from denying that a flying pirate ship makes an appearance.

He might not be able to talk about what's in the book, absent a subpoena, but he can talk about what he didn't write.

--Sam
                          Bill the Cat probably can confirm or refute it, but IIRC you really can't speak very much about what the book contains (that includes what it doesn't contain as well).

Comment

Right, and Bolton was apparently so concerned about Trump's potentially criminal behavior that...

...he didn't say anything to anyone and instead saved it for his tell-all book, the details of which happened to leak to the New York Times in the middle of the impeachment trial and on the eve of the book going up for preorder.

Like I said, something about this whole story stinks.
                            I suppose it is possible he's had the contract for the book quite some time, and to tell what is in the book without a legal obligation to do so could subject himself to a lawsuit. In which case one has to wonder why the democrats did not help him out on that by issuing the subpoena.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Incidentally, by speaking up in this way Trump has nullified any potential claims of executive privilege covering Bolton's testimony. Nice going stable genius!

Comment

I suppose it is possible he's had the contract for the book quite some time, and to tell what is in the book without a legal obligation to do so could subject himself to a lawsuit. In which case one has to wonder why the democrats did not help him out on that by issuing the subpoena.
                                Because Trump was a clear and present danger! The Democrats just had to vote on impeachment now and ask questions later!

Comment