Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pompeo can't find Ukraine on a map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    It's not like this isn't being reported widely, including Pompeo's obscentity-laced rant and the blank map and the insinuation that a reporter with more years following foreign policy than Pompeo and a Cambridge masters in European studies who was just getting back from Tehran was pointing at Bangladesh.

If Pompeo had them confused, there's not a lot of options.

Of course, the obvious answer is that he's lying, but that wouldn't be generous.

Maybe he didn't speak with his aide before tweeting, either.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...tn-sot-vpx.cnn
    The obvious and most likely possibility is that the reporter lied about correctly finding Ukraine on a map.

With a 'he said' 'she said' situation, the true journalism approach is to do as Juvenal did.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

By the way, Juvenal, an ex-CIA head not knowing where Ukraine is, that's impossible. He must have sat through at least a hundred briefings on Ukraine and Crimea, dumbass.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

It's not like this isn't being reported widely...
        That's always the best standard of journalism.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          You would think the same was true for POTUS; unfortunately, it’s not. International geography is a challenge for Americans because you have a lot of states and nobody thought to arrange them in alphabetical order. No brain power left over for anything else.
          Not only that, some of them have STRAIGHT lines and some of them have SQUIGGLY lines. And on a lot of maps, they're different colors, even!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Not only that, some of them have STRAIGHT lines and some of them have SQUIGGLY lines. And on a lot of maps, they're different colors, even!
            Heck, most people are doing good just getting to the Walmart a mile from their house, and that's with GPS. Heaven help them if they had to get there on their own!
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You would think the same was true for POTUS; unfortunately, it’s not. International geography is a challenge for Americans because you have a lot of states and nobody thought to arrange them in alphabetical order. No brain power left over for anything else.

Memorizing 50 states, their capitals, 195 countries, and their capitals, isn’t hard.
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-27-2020, 01:20 PM.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Heck, most people are doing good just getting to the Walmart a mile from their house, and that's with GPS. Heaven help them if they had to get there on their own!
                I driven across the country just by memorizing the route and paying attention to the signs and directions. It’s not rocket science.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  That's always the best standard of journalism.
                  This is the blundering ignorance I refer to as "goobering," poke.

The suggestion was that it was well known because it was widely reported, and you've twisted it into a suggestion that it's true because it's widely reported.

"Clean-up on aisle CP."

Find your way to the exit, please. After you respond, certainly.

Comment

This is the blundering ignorance I refer to as "goobering," poke.

The suggestion was that it was well known because it was widely reported, and you've twisted it into a suggestion that it's true because it's widely reported.

"Clean-up on aisle CP."

Find your way to the exit, please. After you respond, certainly.
                    Yes, we wouldn't want to mess up your incredibly scholarly thread, Juvie. TREMENDOUS journalism on your part. GOOD job!

(you've created a big enough mess that you're gonna need a bigger cleaning crew)

buhbye!

PS: I'm actually a little surprised that you'd stoop to the petty act of banning somebody from your thread, but...
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-27-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      I driven across the country just by memorizing the route and paying attention to the signs and directions. It’s not rocket science.
                      Years ago, I used to keep a stack of maps in my car for getting around in unfamiliar places. Which reminds me of a story I once heard:

"Dad, how did people used to get around before GPS?"
                      "They used maps."
                      "Duh, I mean before Google Maps."
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Venus is very bright in the early evening. Here, it is a few degrees above and left of the moon, roughly south-west.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Venus is very bright in the early evening. Here, it is a few degrees above and left of the moon, roughly south-west.
                          Are you sure that isn't Nibiru?
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            Are you sure that isn't Nibiru?
                            I’m sure, but I’m not so sure that you’re sure.
                            Just asking I was, whether it was as bright where you are.
                            BTW, if you see Jupiter, you can pick out the larger moons with a decent pair of binoculars.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

The only trouble I have with geography is with some of the smaller countries in Africa, like Guinea and Ghana ... and Guyana (I know, South America).

I had some trouble when Yugoslavia first broke up but I think I have them all memorized now.

Comment

Rick Wilson weighs in.

I seriousness to the topic, I think the evidence is stronger that Pompeo did make a mistake but not necessarily with UCrane. In his deceitful response (wherein he lies about the fact that UCrane had been previously cleared as a topic) he implies that the reporter mistakenly identified Bangladesh as UCrane. Given the distance between the two it beggars belief that she actually did so (I suck at geography and I was able to pick it out of an unlabeled map). In reality he likely meant to say she accidentally identified Belarus, which is adjacent to UCrane.

What a liar he is.

Comment