Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund private groups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defund private groups?

Should taxpayer dollars go to support private groups, such as Catholic Charities or Salvation Army? Hundreds of millions of dollars are funneled through religious groups, a common argument is the the religious groups can effectively administer the programs while also painting a faith based approach.

Some examples of private groups are controversial, planned parenthood has those on both sides firmly entrenched.

Or should the government themselves administer and run the programs?

It should not selectively defund "faith-based" groups.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      Or should the government themselves administer and run the programs?
      I think the government has proven again and again that they can't be trusted to do anything efficiently and at reasonable cost.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        I think the government has proven again and again that they can't be trusted to do anything efficiently and at reasonable cost.
        AMEN, and our local charities manage to stretch a dollar so far they're afraid of it snapping back and slapping them in the face.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          Two counter examples: The system of road networks in this country, and military.

Could private enterprise build and maintain the vast system more efficiently? It is the private sector who builds the major highways anyways.

Could the military be privatized?

Collective functions are difficult to privatize effectively. While I am not a fan of our system of welfare and assistance, the vast majority of it is efficient, the problems are atypical. Few private parachurch outreaches can be effectively scaled up. One factor for efficient church groups are the limited resources, coupled with dedicated volunteers, even the paid positions are underpaid.
          Last edited by simplicio; 01-29-2020, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Two counter examples: The system of road networks in this country, and military.

The
            I don't know what it's like where you live but private contractors build the roads here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I don't know what it's like where you live but private contractors build the roads here.
              My computer locks up sometimes, and to complete the post, I have to post and then edit to finish.

The government often builds the light roads, the town highway departments bid on projects. The maintenance and resurfacing is done by the government at the local level. The relatively few examples of privatizing government functions and whole departments do not always yield benefits for the taxpayers.

The Army maintains a system of its own roads on military bases, and was noted for its tedious bureaucracratic rules. But it led the curve on local, light road maintenance by at least two decades, and many highway departments now use the recommended best practices, recommended by civil engineers.

Comment

My computer locks up sometimes, and to complete the post, I have to post and then edit to finish.

The government often builds the light roads, the town highway departments bid on projects. The maintenance and resurfacing is done by the government at the local level. The relatively few examples of privatizing government functions and whole departments do not always yield benefits for the taxpayers.

The Army maintains a system of its own roads on military bases, and was noted for its tedious bureaucracratic rules. But it led the curve on local, light road maintenance by at least two decades, and many highway departments now use the recommended best practices, recommended by civil engineers.
                Around here it is private contractors (primarily one) who builds everything from the interstates to the roads in a small dead end subdivision. And according to CNBC "Georgia’s roads are among the best maintained in the country."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Around here it is private contractors (primarily one) who builds everything from the interstates to the roads in a small dead end subdivision. And according to CNBC "GeorgiaÂ’s roads are among the best maintained in the country."
                  Who oversees the highways in Georgia?

Comment

Who oversees the highways in Georgia?
                    The Lord God our Maker.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      The Lord God our Maker.

I've been on some of those roads........not too sure it's God looking after them.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        I've been on some of those roads........not too sure it's God looking after them.

Ah, I locked in on the "oversees" them.... He is in a grand position to "oversee" them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Ah, I locked in on the "oversees" them.... He is in a grand position to "oversee" them.
                          Yuh!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment