Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm the Dummy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Temporarily back on topic....

One of the problems we've had is that there are very few men in our congregation who are qualified to serve as Deacons, so I only have two.
    Some other pastors I know have dealt with that by "making exceptions", which I see as "lowering the standards".

I have believed that the biblical response to a shortage of deacons (due to not meeting qualifications) was to "Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field", and that's what we've been doing.

Apparently, that's paying off, because I'm seeing a number of potential deacons (not rushing - taking time to evaluate) showing up.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Temporarily back on topic....

One of the problems we've had is that there are very few men in our congregation who are qualified to serve as Deacons, so I only have two.
    Some other pastors I know have dealt with that by "making exceptions", which I see as "lowering the standards".

I have believed that the biblical response to a shortage of deacons (due to not meeting qualifications) was to "Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field", and that's what we've been doing.

Apparently, that's paying off, because I'm seeing a number of potential deacons (not rushing - taking time to evaluate) showing up.
    Speaking from experience it seems inevitable that when a church decides to "make do" in situations like this they pick people who are unqualified and end up regretting that decision.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Speaking from experience it seems inevitable that when a church decides to "make do" in situations like this they pick people who are unqualified and end up regretting that decision.
    Yup... and something else that's been a bone of contention of sorts... Baptists churches "ordain" deacons pretty much "for life". If a deacon falls by the wayside, or otherwise becomes ineligible to serve, he's still "a deacon", and has the ordination certificate to prove it.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yup... and something else that's been a bone of contention of sorts... Baptists churches "ordain" deacons pretty much "for life". If a deacon falls by the wayside, or otherwise becomes ineligible to serve, he's still "a deacon", and has the ordination certificate to prove it.
    That's just wrong.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What would be the solution? Recertification every few years?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    What would be the solution? Recertification every few years?
    Some churches have exactly that, yes - 2 year commissions.

I was in a church in Tyler where a deacon would serve two years - mandatory one year off, no excuses - then pretty much a 'recertification', if you want to call it that, for further service.

What was interesting is that a number of men continued to SERVE as deacons (in the pure sense) whether they had the title or were considered "active" or not.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-29-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Some churches have exactly that, yes - 2 year commissions.
    Yeah, I was planning on pointing out that it isn't all that uncommon (FWICT) around here with the duration usually around 4-5 years (again, FWICT)

ETA: The more I think about the more I think it might not be that long.
    Last edited by rogue06; 01-29-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    "7 words sung 11 eleven times"
    Occasionally, you encounter the variant of 11 words sung 7 times.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Occasionally, you encounter the variant of 11 words sung 7 times.
    Or even 1 word sung over and over.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.