Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Is there a Christian alternative to critical race theory?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I am seriously wondering if you are (or should be) under psychiatric treatment, Simplicio. You don't read what people say, you jump all over the place, expecting people to read your mind and get angry when they don't follow your tangled train of thought. When you do respond, you pretty much ignore everything they actually say and pretend they said something else so you can argue against it. It's insane.

I will leave you to your fantasies/delusions. You don't really need me here to have a debate with me. You are doing so well arguing with straw man Sparko.
    Yes, that answer certainly sounds like you are actually trying to understand the argument of the other guy, and not at all in the habit of the ad hom.

Each post of mine is a not treatise in isolation, but entirely within the context of a flowing discussion, so that it is appropriate to scan back over the last exchange or two.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So the bible which espouses a color-blind acceptance of all races as equal under Christ, would be an ALTERNATIVE to CRT then, eh?

And yes, CRT is Marxist. It is an extension of Critical Theory.
    In sociology and political philosophy, the term "Critical Theory" describes the Western Marxist philosophy of the Frankfurt School, which was developed in Germany in the 1930shttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_theory
    I do hope you don't rely on Wikipedia for your knowledge about the Christian faith. So the anti-MLK critics are right after all? MLK was a commie, following your logic. There is a difference, any number of ideas can be shown to circulate freely but disjointedly before they are codified under some complete social theory. Critical Race Theory was formulated by Marxists, they got there first. But the same ideas can be traced back in history (the history of theology and the theology of history!) as existing in incipient form. Yes, John Henry Newman does have a secular analog, ideas become more detailed over time as they grow.

The greatest story ever, is the Gospel. But in the hands of the liberation theologians, it was distorted when forced through the Marxist sieve. But the error of liberation theology flowere in all its destructiveness through the failure of Christians to adequately teach. (I avoided the use of preach here, at the individual level, proper preaching to individuals en masse). The fact is, there was a problem and the Christian Church failed, more specifically, the Catholic Church failed in its mission.

What ARE those ideas of CRT, Simplicio? Elucidate us.
    The church in America is facing a problem which is being met with silence, diversion, and multiplication of specious reasoning. Ferguson and church too point to a problem, a problem which is not confronted by the churches. The most basic idea of CRT is that when there is evidence of a systemic problem in the culture, then the problem may indeed be systemic and cultural! Despite the denials that the problem is systemic and cultural.

It doesn't end racism at all. In fact, it's goal is to show that institutional racism is rampant in society and to blame white people for everything. "White Privilege" is a CRT "idea"

Its only purpose is to divide society and pass blame around. It tries to create social classes instead of trying to solve racism and unite people.
    And CRT doesn't pretend to end racism, and quite frankly, neither does "the bible". Men are using the bible to avoid making change, as they did two centuries ago with segregation (a race problem which seems so obvious to us today, was not obviously a problem for Christians seventy years ago.

And what does "the bible" do? divides people up according to right and wrong, saints and sinners. It does not give clear and unambiguous guidelines on who is the saint and who is the sinner, some definitely describe MLK in terms of the unrepentant sinner fitted for destruction, while some definitely described MLK in terms reserved for the saints. How many years of collective bible study and reading were represented in that discussion? Sounds pretty divisive to me, maybe your categories here need refining.

Again, you acknowledge that Christianity does teach an alternative to CRT, while you were just arguing above with maxvel that it isn't.

No. Christianity is claiming the world IS color-blind, but that it SHOULD be. And we should be working towards it by treating all races as equal.
    Oh? Show any way that the so called color blind theory has been fleshed out into any coherent theory. Its strongest champions here have managed to multiply specious reasons for inaction, without actually looking at causes or the nature of the injustice. It is not a real theory, it is a utopian ideal couched in general terms of bumper sticker Christianity, while providing neither insights nor concrete suggestions for solution.

The good Lord may have given us the Bible, but he left it in the hands of frail men.

Your anger seems to be getting the better of you. Your spelling is falling apart.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did make numerous spelling and grammatical errors throughout my posts. I will don the hair shirt, say ten Hail Mary's, and pick up the whip. But it is obvious that your anger is prompting you toward specious reasoning, that I suspect you are aware of on some level. Several of the questions that I have repeatedly asked have been avoided, questions that I asked not to divide, but to elucidate. And the group dynamic was involved, because you yourself act as though you disapprove of avoiding questions even though I have responded.

I will repeat two of them here: Does the black Christian see the world differently from the white Christian?

What is the church's role in addressing social evils?

Here is a third, which I really haven't brought in, but I think it very important: Was it coincidental that the controversial SBC resolution 9 included both CRT and Intersectionality? If there is a race problem in society and if there is a 'gender' problem in society, then we would expect that black and white Christians would view it so differently (according to CRT AND Intersectionality) and men and women would see the gender problems differently

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    unsubscribing from this idiotic trollfest.