Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Christian alternative to critical race theory?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    In other words, you see no distinction between adopting CRT as an ideology and using it as an analytic tool. Which means that you haven't really read the resolution. It is right there in black and white
    Why would you use something false and antiChristian as an analytical tool, Simplicio????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

Your reasoning boggles my mind. Are you on medication?

sigh.

Department Head
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Why would you use something false and antiChristian as an analytical tool, Simplicio????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

Your reasoning boggles my mind. Are you on medication?

sigh.
    and racist to boot it segregates peopel due to characteristics they have no control over.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    This is just dumb. There can't POSSIBLY be an alternate explanation? Like men were doing something they thought was a good thing, but didn't necessarily consult the Holy Spirit on it like they should have?

Again, if this was "of the Spirit", was the Spirit wrong when he came up with the draft, or when he edited it beyond recognition. I believe men simply got ahead of themselves, and people like you see it as an issue over which to argue.
    No it is not dumb. The descriptions of the process about CRT were attributed to the devil, not my argument.

Oh. It is called arguing when I support the SBC, but when other condemn it in the strongest possible terms (can't get much stronger than assigning devilish motives for it), it not arguing?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No it is not dumb. The descriptions of the process about CRT were attributed to the devil, not my argument.
    Ah, my mistake -- I missed that. I thought we were still talking about your most recent favorite hobby horse - the resolution itself.

Oh. It is called arguing when I support the SBC,
    Well, you're not supporting the SBC - you are demonstrating profound ignorance in what we believe and do, and you're "supporting" a document authored by men.

but when other condemn it in the strongest possible terms (can't get much stronger than assigning devilish motives for it), it not arguing?
    They're free to argue - I'm representing my own position. I don't pretend to know enough about CRT to argue it, and neither did the vast majority of the people at the Annual Meeting, it would seem.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ah, my mistake -- I missed that. I thought we were still talking about your most recent favorite hobby horse - the resolution itself.

Well, you're not supporting the SBC - you are demonstrating profound ignorance in what we believe and do, and you're "supporting" a document authored by men.

They're free to argue - I'm representing my own position. I don't pretend to know enough about CRT to argue it, and neither did the vast majority of the people at the Annual Meeting, it would seem.
    That's just it no one knows about CRT, they just know it wrong, and they don't know why.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's just it no one knows about CRT, they just know it wrong, and they don't know why.
    No, Simp, they know there's a controversy over the initial drafting of the resolution and the final product, and they don't know enough about it to know which was acceptable. In my case, I really don't care, because it's not something that I'll be teaching or preaching.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No, Simp, they know there's a controversy over the initial drafting of the resolution and the final product, and they don't know enough about it to know which was acceptable. In my case, I really don't care, because it's not something that I'll be teaching or preaching.
    But if that is true, why is the backlash against CRT based on woo, not any realistic assessment of what CRT is and does, can and can't accomplish?

Yes, marxists had a hand in formulating CRT as a fleshed out theory, yet one of the greatest pastors of the 20th century is considered a proto-CRT proponent! MLK used the categories and methods of CRT before it was even formulated, even curiously articulating the ideas using the same terms.

If any poster here has even a basic understanding of CRT, they have managed to hide it. The primary objection against it seems to be summed up in its source: non Christians and even antichristians who formulated as a theory within the social sciences. But the one basic observation common to its proponents is that the current state of the church in America is unable to even recognize there is a problem.

The church too movement reveals there is a problem, while many within the church search for ways to discount that problem. Many Baptists stormed the hierarchy of the SBC demanding change, a grass root challenge to a grass roots denomination! The divide between men and women was obvious, division was sown by whom exactly? The controversies over Ferguson and Trayvon Martin suggest that there is a problem with race in America, but Christians are able to dispute the problem by dealing with each episode in isolation, Trayvon Martin was a sinner......

The old adages about the Bible's sufficiency are not working, and are isolating the church in the public square. <= how much do you want to bet that any evangelical (who has extensive practice or training in hermenutics will even be able to identify the subject of that sentence?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Galatians was offered as an alternative to CRT as an analytic tool,
    No it wasn't. It was presented as God's Word on how Christians should interact with people of other races.

Quote Originally Posted by simplicio
    and I would say that your posts shows that does not serve the function as any analytic tool. Which leaves the question of CRT.

There exists a divide on how white Christians and black Christians see racism; Black Christians see racism as a group phenomenon, that is part of the reason the black churches found it fitting to send their members into harms way along with MLK, White Evangelicals stayed home White Christians see racism as affecting individual and perpetrated by individuals.
    So you claim. Perhaps Christians of all stripes should build their worldview, attitudes and motivations on the Bible as a whole. That solves pretty much every problem mankind has.

Quote Originally Posted by simplicio
    That, right there, is the point where the lights flash and the bell sounds, signifying that there is a problem which needs attention, and that ignoring it is a problem. Not sure that the bible alone would lead to the flash of recognition.

Not if (a) you're going to either ignore it or rip verses out of context; (b) you're going to expect the Bible to do things it wasn't intended to do (like give a detailed and specific answer for every problem we could possibly face); and (c) you're going to discard it altogether in preference of an 'analytical tool' that ignores aspects of reality altogether (like God ) as the solution to your problems. CRT arises from a worldview that is explicitly and inherently opposed to God and Christianity. It naturally follows that it can, at most, be based on and reflect only aspects of truth and reality.

CRT, however useful it may be in certain areas, should be subordinated to the Word of God where there is any conflict, not the other way around.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

9. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But if that is true, why is the backlash against CRT based on woo, not any realistic assessment of what CRT is and does, can and can't accomplish?
    I don't know what woo is, except we used to pitch it when dating.

And there's no backlash from me, cause I really don't give a flyin' flip about CRT.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVel View Post
    No it wasn't. It was presented as God's Word on how Christians should interact with people of other races.
    ....as an alternative to CRT, the very first response in the thread. And several have responded about the gospel, the Bible, etc, as the alternative to CRT that should be used. Which is a religious analog to Rodney King's "why can't we all get along?" which can be traced back to police swinging batons while King was on the ground. I wonder how many Christians argued that King deserved what he got? And if there was a difference in outlook between white and black Christians.

So you claim. Perhaps Christians of all stripes should build their worldview, attitudes and motivations on the Bible as a whole. That solves pretty much every problem mankind has.
    And who decides if that worldview is actually built on some biblical worldview? White Christians? Black Christians? Note the well documented sharp divide in outlook between the two groups. Ferguson was sparked by what happened to one man. I wonder how many Christians argued he got what he deserved? And if there was a difference between white and black Christians.

If Christianity is just some pie in the sky, and useful at political meetings, then yes, the Bible is all that is needed. But the Bible has been around a while, and so have social evils, and the lion will lay down with the lamb. Not sure the standard formula of attributing social evils to a lack of piety is at all useful, when Christians cannot even decide just what the racial problem is.

Not if (a) you're going to either ignore it or rip verses out of context; (b) you're going to expect the Bible to do things it wasn't intended to do (like give a detailed and specific answer for every problem we could possibly face); and (c) you're going to discard it altogether in preference of an 'analytical tool' that ignores aspects of reality altogether (like God ) as the solution to your problems. CRT arises from a worldview that is explicitly and inherently opposed to God and Christianity. It naturally follows that it can, at most, be based on and reflect only aspects of truth and reality.
    Who is the arbiter of when a verse is ripped out of context. Each significant difference between Protestant denominations is predicated on someone ripping a verse out of context!

CRT, however useful it may be in certain areas, should be subordinated to the Word of God where there is any conflict, not the other way around.
    Amen to that. And that statement just happens to coincide with the notorious resolution9. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you've read it, as have all the other posters read it. But it just seems like you haven't read it, because you keep bringing issues which are irrelevant.

I do not think it a coincidence that the resolution also includes intersectionality. Just as the church is unable to diagnose a problem on race, it was unable to diagnose a problem with abuse, all the while claiming they were being good bible Christians. Nothing wrong with the bible, just the way it is used: No sole scriptura Christian has been able to discuss the difference in outlook between black and white Christians!