Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How the Trump Administration's Israel-Palestine Peace Plan Will Change Middle East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the Trump Administration's Israel-Palestine Peace Plan Will Change Middle East

How the Trump Administration's Israel-Palestine Peace Plan Will Change the Middle East

I haven't really had a chance to look this over, but thought it would be an interesting topic. Also, wondered how each of the two extremely polarized factions of Tweb view it.

Over the last two days, I received an exclusive early look at President Donald Trump’s proposed plan to resolve the Israel-Palestine conflict. The effort was led by the president’s son-in-law and senior advisor, Jared Kushner. The administration’s peace plan tears up the playbook of prior presidents who have tried and failed to make real progress on peace in the region. The Trump “ultimate deal” is unabashed power politics. It recognizes Israeli power on the ground and recent dramatic shifts in the region’s geopolitics. On top of it all, it’s a deal that carries domestic political upside for the president in the midst of an impeachment hearing.

This proposal will not lead to peace in the coming weeks or months or maybe ever—and it may lead to an immediate outbreak of violence in the Palestinian territories. But, I think by recognizing the harsh realities on the ground and leveraging the unique position of the U.S. in the Middle East, it might open a process that will reduce tension in the region. Based on my early assessment of the plan, it is an effort worth taking....

Bremmer is a foreign affairs columnist and editor-at-large at TIME.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    How the Trump Administration's Israel-Palestine Peace Plan Will Change the Middle East

I haven't really had a chance to look this over, but thought it would be an interesting topic. Also, wondered how each of the two extremely polarized factions of Tweb view it.

Over the last two days, I received an exclusive early look at President Donald Trump’s proposed plan to resolve the Israel-Palestine conflict. The effort was led by the president’s son-in-law and senior advisor, Jared Kushner. The administration’s peace plan tears up the playbook of prior presidents who have tried and failed to make real progress on peace in the region. The Trump “ultimate deal” is unabashed power politics. It recognizes Israeli power on the ground and recent dramatic shifts in the region’s geopolitics. On top of it all, it’s a deal that carries domestic political upside for the president in the midst of an impeachment hearing.

This proposal will not lead to peace in the coming weeks or months or maybe ever—and it may lead to an immediate outbreak of violence in the Palestinian territories. But, I think by recognizing the harsh realities on the ground and leveraging the unique position of the U.S. in the Middle East, it might open a process that will reduce tension in the region. Based on my early assessment of the plan, it is an effort worth taking....

Bremmer is a foreign affairs columnist and editor-at-large at TIME.
    It is laudable that an effort is being made to find a solution. I don't have any realistic way of evaluating the praiseworthiness of the result. First look is it doesn't have much support from the Palestinians themselves, and I heard Jared interviewed last night on Public Television, and wasn't encouraged. He certainly can sing the praises of his Father-in-law, but he also, without batting an eye, publicly put the blame on any future failure squarely on the Palestinians themselves, which, regardless of its truth, is just adding fuel to the fire. IOW, if the goal is peace, probably best not to be saying things that are sure to inflame one of the negotiating parties.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

"How the Trump Administration's Israel-Palestine Peace Plan Will Change Middle East"

Et tu, Cow Poke? I see that headline construction popping up all over the place lately, and to my English sensibilities it's like fingernails scraping across a chalkboard.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        "How the Trump Administration's Israel-Palestine Peace Plan Will Change Middle East"

Et tu, Cow Poke? I see that headline construction popping up all over the place lately, and to my English sensibilities it's like fingernails scraping across a chalkboard.
        I guess I just saw it akin to "how the cow ate the cabbage".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know much about it other than what I heard on the TV this morning. Something about giving Palestine their own state and $50B over 10 years if they can remain peaceful and that any terrorist organizations have to leave the area.

Sounds basically like a bribe. I am sure the Democrats will want to impeach him for it.

But seriously, I don't know if it will work. I don't have enough details, but it seems to me that when Israel basically capitulated on some of their demands, instead of being thankful, they just demanded more and used the land they got as a launching ground for more attacks against Israel. If they get their own country, will they be satisfied or just think they deserve Israel too?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I don't know much about it other than what I heard on the TV this morning. Something about giving Palestine their own state and $50B over 10 years if they can remain peaceful and that any terrorist organizations have to leave the area.

Sounds basically like a bribe. I am sure the Democrats will want to impeach him for it.

But seriously, I don't know if it will work. I don't have enough details, but it seems to me that when Israel basically capitulated on some of their demands, instead of being thankful, they just demanded more and used the land they got as a launching ground for more attacks against Israel. If they get their own country, will they be satisfied or just think they deserve Israel too?
            Yeah, my first reaction was that, historically, the "Palestinians" aren't really interested in solving any problems that don't include Israel no longer existing.

Comment

Well, well, if I don't see the perfect gift for you this year

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, my first reaction was that, historically, the "Palestinians" aren't really interested in solving any problems that don't include Israel no longer existing.
                That is exactly right, one of the conditions was that the PA needed to recognize Israel's right to exist. That was a non-starter. And they want all Jews out of the West bank. OK, then send all the Arabs (about 400,000) out of Israel proper.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Has the administration treated the proposal as if it were a serious proposal? It looks to me like pandering to the base and diverting away from the incessant impeachment news, an attempt for the Nobel Peace prize. The various initiatives on Israel have been ham handed at best.

Jared Kushner has lobbed enough insults to guarantee that it will go nowhere, the Palestinians, who have never done anything right in their sad patheitic lives will read that and al of a sudden see the great and unmatched wisdom of the proposal?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                    Has the administration treated the proposal as if it were a serious proposal? It looks to me like pandering to the base and diverting away from the incessant impeachment news, an attempt for the Nobel Peace prize. The various initiatives on Israel have been ham handed at best.

Jared Kushner has lobbed enough insults to guarantee that it will go nowhere, the Palestinians, who have never done anything right in their sad patheitic lives will read that and al of a sudden see the great and unmatched wisdom of the proposal?
                    Yes, Orange Man Bad, so there can't POSSIBLY be anything good here.

Comment

In the upside-down world where pandering to the Palestinians by giving them 99% of what they wanted resulted in the Intifada, this one might actually have better than a snowball's chance of going somewhere.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

In the upside-down world where pandering to the Palestinians by giving them 99% of what they wanted resulted in the Intifada, this one might actually have better than a snowball's chance of going somewhere.
                        You would have a point if it was not front loaded by Jared Kushner with enough insults that the Israelis would need a lot of concessions and back room maneuverings to make it palatable to the Palestinians.

If the Israelis would need to make significant concessions, ot would hardly be in Israel's interests. Which is why I see the proposal as pandering to the base at home as well as Bebe's base, and less a serious proposal.

The irony is that I thought Trump would want to make a mark on history, and have bragging rights at deserving a Nobel Peace medal. An agreement is historic, Nobels have been awarded for proposals, and Obama got one right off the bat. The diplomacy surrounding this is counterproductive and inept if the goal was to actually encourage Palestinians bargain in good faith.

Comment

You would have a point if it was not front loaded by Jared Kushner with enough insults that the Israelis would need a lot of concessions and back room maneuverings to make it palatable to the Palestinians.

If the Israelis would need to make significant concessions, ot would hardly be in Israel's interests. Which is why I see the proposal as pandering to the base at home as well as Bebe's base, and less a serious proposal.

The irony is that I thought Trump would want to make a mark on history, and have bragging rights at deserving a Nobel Peace medal. An agreement is historic, Nobels have been awarded for proposals, and Obama got one right off the bat. The diplomacy surrounding this is counterproductive and inept if the goal was to actually encourage Palestinians bargain in good faith.
                          OK, so, when the "Palestinians" want Israel wiped off the face of the planet and every Jew dead, what consession or compromise would you recommend? 50% dead Jews? 75%? Maybe 99.5%?

Comment

The critics are wrong to scoff at Trump’s Israel-Palestine deal

‘In business, when I have a tough deal, people would say, “This is tougher than the Israelis and the Palestinians,”’ said President Donald Trump as he unveiled his long-awaited Middle East plan, the so-called Deal of the Century, during a White House ceremony on Tuesday.

The comment, ad-libbed, not only demonstrated that the former real-estate tycoon does have a sense of humor. It suggested that, contrary to the conventional wisdom, President Trump is ready to do business when it comes to peace in the Holy Land. ‘Actually, there’s nothing tougher than this one but we have to get it done,’ he added. ‘We have an obligation to humanity to get it done.’

The Washington foreign-policy pundit class, with its long list of failed Middle East ‘peace processors’ behind them, has dismissed the president’s plan as a ‘con’ and a ‘fraud,’ comparing it to a ludicrous real-estate deal. Trump’s plan has been bashed as one sided (and on the wrong side, that is Israel). It is being widely interpreted as an attempt to bolster the re-election prospects of ‘Bibi’ Netanyahu, Trump’s BFF in Jerusalem, and a pay-off to his pro-Israeli donors, such as Las Vegas billionaire, Sheldon Adelson, who attended the ceremony on Tuesday.

But the critics rarely mention the fact that all of Trump’s predecessors in office ended their search for peace in the Holy Land with disastrous results.

So now we have a president who has decided not to follow the footsteps of the former peace processors....

All we are sayin' is give peace a chance.
                            Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-31-2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I won't support it. In fact, I don't like it.

Originally posted by Article
                              This is where the economic component comes in. The Trump administration has pledged to drum up $28 billion over 10 years to support Palestine, with $22 billion of additional funding going to Jordan, Egypt, and Lebanon.
                              Enough with handing out US tax dollars. Otherwise, I don't care.

Comment