Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Deacons and/or Elders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deacons and/or Elders

I used the "and/or" in the title because I know of a number of Churches that have both.

This should not be a contentious thread, as I'm only asking opinions and anecdotal 'evidence'.
    If you state an opinion, bonus points for scriptural backup.

I've always been in Churches that utilized deacons, and not elders.
    I always (as a youngster, anyway) thought "elders" was a weird thing that only "high church" had.

Lately, I've seen a number of churches that have BOTH deacons and elders.
    I've also seen some variance in the way a church will deploy deacons and/or elders.

In some, the deacons do the "servant" stuff as outlined in the Bible (imagine that) and the elders do the spiritual leadership stuff.
    In some, the deacons serve "as a board", pretty much controlling everything, including finances (I mis-typed fiances ), buildings and grounds, etc.

The last few Churches where I've served, there really seemed to be a sense among the deacons that "we're here to serve, not to boss".
    Baptist churches (my myopic experience) often have deacons who "boss", and don't so much serve.

What say you?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'm A/G (but raised SBC). When I joined the first A/G church, they had both deacons and elders. Elders did more administrative type work and advised the Pastoral staff in matters of discipline I guess, is the best way to say it. Deacons served as ushers, taking up the offering, serving communion, counting the money, setting up for events etc...much more servant roles.

My current church does not have elders. The deacons serve in both capacities, advisers to the Pastoral staff and always ready to lend a hand when needed. A/G also doesn't have the active vs. inactive deacons. You are either on the board or not. But you can serve more than once on the board, but you have to have 1 year off before being eligible to be reelected to board.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      I'm A/G (but raised SBC). When I joined the first A/G church, they had both deacons and elders. Elders did more administrative type work and advised the Pastoral staff in matters of discipline I guess, is the best way to say it. Deacons served as ushers, taking up the offering, serving communion, counting the money, setting up for events etc...much more servant roles.

My current church does not have elders. The deacons serve in both capacities, advisers to the Pastoral staff and always ready to lend a hand when needed. A/G also doesn't have the active vs. inactive deacons. You are either on the board or not. But you can serve more than once on the board, but you have to have 1 year off before being eligible to be reelected to board.
      Thanks.....

Another thing I've noticed is that, particularly in Bible Churches, the Pastor is an elder. There are typically no fewer than 3 elders, one of whom is the Pastor, and he's the "lead elder" or "teaching" or "preaching" elder.

I've never been a deacon OR an 'elder'. (Though I'm getting a lot older - which reminds me, Mormons can be elders when they're still popping pimples!)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Most churches I've been in have had both deacons and elders. I was a deacon in two. One church, on the smaller side, just had a leadership team and the pastors with helpers did the deacon work. In the churches I've been in with both, the split has been as you said deacons lead the activities and outreaches and elders handled the administration and over sight. For the most part, I've not really seen elders really do spiritual leadership.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          In some, the deacons do the "servant" stuff as outlined in the Bible (imagine that) and the elders do the spiritual leadership stuff.
          This is how my college fellowship (affiliated with the Christian & Missionary Alliance) worked. I was elected an elder (half-way through my sophomore year, IIRC). I'm not likely to become an Orthodox deacon, since my wife has been previously married (though I'm somewhat unclear on this, since they weren't church-sanctioned marriages, which may or may not make a difference).
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            ...my wife...
            That part truly makes me smile.

Comment

That part truly makes me smile.
              Me too!
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm A/G. We have a two part Church Council composed of deacons and trustees. The deacons serve the spiritual and physical needs on behalf of the lead pastor while the trustees handle the financial part (tithes, offerings etc). The executive pastor signs the checks and prepares whatever reports are required.

We use 1 Timothy to define the moral requirements of the pastors (bishops) and deacons. Also 1 Corinthians on divorce. At present we have as I recall two divorced and one remarried deacons but they were all bad situations or long separations. The A/G have made the rules for pastors very strict now regarding even divorce without remarriage... a pastor friend had to offer documentation and full story behind marrying the same spouse three times before it all stuck.

Oh - no elders.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  I'm A/G. We have a two part Church Council composed of deacons and trustees. The deacons serve the spiritual and physical needs on behalf of the lead pastor while the trustees handle the financial part (tithes, offerings etc). The executive pastor signs the checks and prepares whatever reports are required.

We use 1 Timothy to define the moral requirements of the pastors (bishops) and deacons. Also 1 Corinthians on divorce. At present we have as I recall two divorced and one remarried deacons but they were all bad situations or long separations. The A/G have made the rules for pastors very strict now regarding even divorce without remarriage... a pastor friend had to offer documentation and full story behind marrying the same spouse three times before it all stuck.

Oh - no elders.
                  Interesting - yeah, we have Trustees, too, but they don't do much except when we have to sign property documents or open or change checking accounts, etc...

Comment

Interesting - yeah, we have Trustees, too, but they don't do much except when we have to sign property documents or open or change checking accounts, etc...
                    Our pastor was looking at various issues of churches being embezzled etc as well as lack of accountablilty when he decided to be proactive about those things in our organization. He never wanted deacons or pastors to handle money so he made the trustees much more involved with that aspect. The Church Council comes together as one for huge major church issues and when there is no pastor - both of which happened once several years ago as I mentioned before.
                    Last edited by DesertBerean; 01-30-2020, 04:38 PM.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      Our pastor was looking at various issues of churches being embezzled etc as well as lack of accountablilty when he decided to be proactive about those things in our organization. He never wanted deacons or pastors to handle money so he made the trustees much more involved with that aspect. The Church Council comes together as one for huge major church issues and when there is no pastor - both of which happened once several years ago as I mentioned before.
                      Yeah, I never EVER handle church money, and we have a rule that there will always be two - not related - people to be with our financial secretary when she does the count.
                      On Sunday, when the offering is collected, it goes immediately into a floor safe in the sound room where the two ushers who put it there are witnessed by the guys in the sound booth.
                      The save is open and unlocked prior to the service, then when the money goes in, it is locked, and only our financial people know the combination.
                      It can stay in that safe til they arrive on Monday morning to do the count and deposit.

Comment

I used the "and/or" in the title because I know of a number of Churches that have both.

This should not be a contentious thread, as I'm only asking opinions and anecdotal 'evidence'.
                        If you state an opinion, bonus points for scriptural backup.

I've always been in Churches that utilized deacons, and not elders.
                        I always (as a youngster, anyway) thought "elders" was a weird thing that only "high church" had.

Lately, I've seen a number of churches that have BOTH deacons and elders.
                        I've also seen some variance in the way a church will deploy deacons and/or elders.

In some, the deacons serve "as a board", pretty much controlling everything, including finances (I mis-typed fiances ), buildings and grounds, etc.

The last few Churches where I've served, there really seemed to be a sense among the deacons that "we're here to serve, not to boss".
                        Baptist churches (my myopic experience) often have deacons who "boss", and don't so much serve.

What say you?
                        James 5:14 describes elders as being spiritual guides and gives one of their very important functions.
                        14 Is anyone among you sick? He should call in the church elders (the spiritual guides). And they should pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Lord’s name.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                          James 5:14 describes elders as being spiritual guides and gives one of their very important functions.
                          14 Is anyone among you sick? He should call in the church elders (the spiritual guides). And they should pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Lord’s name.
                          Yup.

Comment