Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deacons and/or Elders

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Our pastor was looking at various issues of churches being embezzled etc as well as lack of accountablilty when he decided to be proactive about those things in our organization. He never wanted deacons or pastors to handle money so he made the trustees much more involved with that aspect. The Church Council comes together as one for huge major church issues and when there is no pastor - both of which happened once several years ago as I mentioned before.
    Yeah, I never EVER handle church money, and we have a rule that there will always be two - not related - people to be with our financial secretary when she does the count.
    On Sunday, when the offering is collected, it goes immediately into a floor safe in the sound room where the two ushers who put it there are witnessed by the guys in the sound booth.
    The save is open and unlocked prior to the service, then when the money goes in, it is locked, and only our financial people know the combination.
    It can stay in that safe til they arrive on Monday morning to do the count and deposit.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

2. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I used the "and/or" in the title because I know of a number of Churches that have both.

This should not be a contentious thread, as I'm only asking opinions and anecdotal 'evidence'.
    If you state an opinion, bonus points for scriptural backup.

I've always been in Churches that utilized deacons, and not elders.
    I always (as a youngster, anyway) thought "elders" was a weird thing that only "high church" had.

Lately, I've seen a number of churches that have BOTH deacons and elders.
    I've also seen some variance in the way a church will deploy deacons and/or elders.

In some, the deacons do the "servant" stuff as outlined in the Bible (imagine that) and the elders do the spiritual leadership stuff.
    In some, the deacons serve "as a board", pretty much controlling everything, including finances (I mis-typed fiances ), buildings and grounds, etc.

The last few Churches where I've served, there really seemed to be a sense among the deacons that "we're here to serve, not to boss".
    Baptist churches (my myopic experience) often have deacons who "boss", and don't so much serve.

What say you?
    James 5:14 describes elders as being spiritual guides and gives one of their very important functions.
    14 Is anyone among you sick? He should call in the church elders (the spiritual guides). And they should pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Lord’s name.

4. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esther View Post
    James 5:14 describes elders as being spiritual guides and gives one of their very important functions.
    14 Is anyone among you sick? He should call in the church elders (the spiritual guides). And they should pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Lord’s name.
    Yup.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”