Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

New project: MAME arcade machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah I think the retropie build includes the core as the front end of some of their emulators, especially the mame ones.

I was looking on the archive.org site for PSP files, and they have a lot of games but most are just playable online, and you can't download the files. Which games are you looking for?

I did find a bunch of old Amiga files on Archive.org I used to own an Amiga 500, 1000, and 3000. My brother still has the 500 and a bunch of games but doesn't have the kickstart (or maybe it was the workbench?) discs any more so can't boot it up. I might send him a link to the amiga files and see if that helps him. But I can' find any way to actually transfer the images to an Amiga floppy from a PC. The PC can't write the correct format for the Amiga floppy to read. I wish I could find someone with a working Amiga to make a copy of the floppies. It's a catch-22 for my brother. He has the computer and the software but can't run it without the boot disks and he can't make the boot discs unless he has a working Amiga
    Yeah, I've also found out I need to rip the .ISO files from my PS1 disks for them to work, and outside of some .ISO files on archive.org I would need to go and put in custom firmware on my PSP for the rest, and to go as far as decrypting the .PBP files for some other stuff. I'm too afraid to try messing with all of that. At least I can play a couple of my old PSP games now.

Comment

So I got the thing working and have around 4,000 MAME games loaded (many are various versions of the same game, like different revisions or different languages)

I have an xbox controller connected to it and it seems to work pretty well. I am just tweaking things now. Pretty cool.

It can also emulate my old Amiga pretty well so now I can play many of my old Amiga games again, like Monkey Island and Bard's Tale.

Comment

So I got the thing working and have around 4,000 MAME games loaded (many are various versions of the same game, like different revisions or different languages)

I have an xbox controller connected to it and it seems to work pretty well. I am just tweaking things now. Pretty cool.

It can also emulate my old Amiga pretty well so now I can play many of my old Amiga games again, like Monkey Island and Bard's Tale.
        Nice, lots of cool old arcade games to work with too. TMNT Turtles in Time, Captain America and the Avengers, any of the Raiden games, Metal Slug series. I have Bard's Tale through the Humble Choice program. They have lots of DRM free games that you can access any time you have a subscription, and you get new games every month. I'm on the classic plan so I pay $13 for 10 of the non-drm free games a month. Every month so far has at least two games I've had on my wish list for a while now, and I've gotten to try some games I never would have tried otherwise.

Comment

I ordered this today:

tank-stick_36c53b9e-cf4d-4ea3-9f43-19857abb053a_large.png?v=1511646011.png
          arcade-tankstick-trackball-usb-ps2_1_8d2788c4ff8724524ba994bc1e500ba5.jpg

https://shop.xgaming.com/collections...l-usb-included

It is on sale for $149 today. Normally $199. It hooks up to your PC or in my case my Raspberry Pi and acts like dual X-box controllers but has the feel of an authentic arcade. It can just sit on a table or I can build it into an arcade cabinet later. Heck the Raspberry Pi is so small I could stick it on the back or even inside it and make it into a complete portable arcade machine that I can hook up to any HDMI TV or monitor.

Comment

I ordered this today:

tank-stick_36c53b9e-cf4d-4ea3-9f43-19857abb053a_large.png?v=1511646011.png
            arcade-tankstick-trackball-usb-ps2_1_8d2788c4ff8724524ba994bc1e500ba5.jpg

https://shop.xgaming.com/collections...l-usb-included

It is on sale for $149 today. Normally $199. It hooks up to your PC or in my case my Raspberry Pi and acts like dual X-box controllers but has the feel of an authentic arcade. It can just sit on a table or I can build it into an arcade cabinet later. Heck the Raspberry Pi is so small I could stick it on the back or even inside it and make it into a complete portable arcade machine that I can hook up to any HDMI TV or monitor.
            Nice.

Comment