Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: We Are All Philosophers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: We Are All Philosophers

Does John Frame give a good introduction?

Link

-----

What do I think of John Frame’s book published by Lexham Press? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I really have a hard time reading some books that are heavily Calvinistic. I have friends that are very much Calvinist and we get along just fine, but overall, I find presuppositional thinking to be an epistemological train wreck. Still, I was sent the book by Frame and decided to give it a shot.

The book aims to answer seven questions ultimately. What is everything made of? Do I have free will? Can I know the world? Does God exist? How shall I live? What are my rights? How can I be saved? The last question I think should be seen as a question of more theology than of philosophy.

The advantage is that the book is written for a layman and there can be some good history in there such as learning about pre-Socratics like Thales and Anaximander and others. Aristotle will be mentioned and sometimes some moderns, but beyond that, not many others. I don’t remember Aquinas and Augustine being mentioned, for instance.

The questions are unfortunately all answered from a presuppositional position. If you do not hold to that position and do not find it persuasive, which is true of me definitely, then you will not be persuaded and if anything will just be frustrated. No Christian philosopher would say the text of the Scripture is not data, but let’s not just do Bible study and call it philosophy.

Most troubling though to me is the dealing of the problem of evil. Frame does agree that in some way God is the cause of evil. Why? Who knows, but it will work out for His glory. I do not doubt that all evil will work for God’s glory, but I also do not doubt that God is not the cause of it. God is not the cause of an innocent woman being raped or a child being aborted in the womb or of a family living in poverty.

On the section on the existence of God, I sadly saw no arguments for the existence of God. This could be a good thing because if it would have been anything like my reading of Greg Bahnsen’s Van Til’s Apologetic, I would have been more frustrated as Bahnsen treated Aquinas’s five ways in a way even worse than Dawkins did. I didn’t think that was possible until I read it, but it happened.

In the back is an appendix where Frame answers questions that have been sent to him on topics related to the book. The problem is sometimes you can read an answer and you’re not even clear on what the question is. None of the questions were also from people who were critical of Frame’s approach. If Frame is sure of his approach, I would have liked to have seen how he would have handled a question from a real critic.

Those wanting to learn philosophy have better sources I think available. Even though I disagree with Nash’s rationalism, his Life’s Ultimate Questions would be a good read. You can’t go wrong with Peter Kreeft’s Socratic Logic or his Philosophy 101. I don’t care for his work, but even Norman Geisler’s introduction to philosophy would be prepared.

Not all Calvinists are presuppositionalists, but if you are one, you’ll probably love this. Those of us on the outside just aren’t convinced.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

God is not the cause of an innocent woman being raped or a child being aborted in the womb or of a family living in poverty.
    Or a son being crucified? If the cross was in God's sovereign plan, then any other evil can even be part of God's plan, for good.

Source: John Piper

Gen. 50:20 "And as for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive."

The text says, 'You meant evil against me.' Evil is a feminine singular noun. Then it says, 'God meant it for good.' The word 'it' is a feminine singular suffix that can only agree with the antecedent feminine singular noun, 'evil.' And the verb 'meant' is the same past tense in both cases. You meant evil against me in the past, as you were doing it. And God meant that very evil, not as evil, but as good in the past as you were doing it. And to make this perfectly clear, Psalm 105:17 says about Joseph's coming to Egypt, '[God] sent a man before them, Joseph, who was sold as a slave.' God sent him. God did not find him there owing to evil choices, and then try to make something good come of it. Therefore this text stands as a kind of paradigm for how to understand the evil will of man within the sovereign will of God.

© Copyright Original Source

Or would we rather have even evil be not part of God's plan, i.e. we are getting less than the best, so evil wins to some degree.

"The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's works." (1 John 3:8)

Blessings,
    Lee
    Last edited by lee_merrill; 02-01-2020, 02:12 PM.
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

God can use it for good, but I struggle with thinking God caused the rape of someone else like that. Jesus took a volunteer position. He voluntarily went to the cross knowing what God would have happen to Him.

Comment

Who was the prominent Calvinist who casually admitted in a debate several years ago that he believes God wills the rape of children? I think it was James White, but I'm having trouble finding the exact quote.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
          God can use it for good, but I struggle with thinking God caused the rape of someone else like that. Jesus took a volunteer position. He voluntarily went to the cross knowing what God would have happen to Him.
          So we are getting less than the best? Evil triumphs, to some degree? and what about John Piper's point, all this evil happened to Joseph without consent.

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
            So we are getting less than the best? Evil triumphs, to some degree? and what about John Piper's point, all this evil happened to Joseph without consent.

Blessings,
            Lee
            Who says we get less than the best?

God allows all evil.

That doesn't mean He directly causes all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
              Who says we get less than the best?
              If evil is not part of God's plan, then we should say he had a better plan, which was foiled.

God allows all evil.
              Scripture?

That doesn't mean He directly causes all of it.
              You skipped John Piper's point again, he shows from Scripture that God meant what happened to Joseph, for good. As in the cross...

Blessings,
              Lee

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                If evil is not part of God's plan, then we should say he had a better plan, which was foiled.
                There's a difference between saying evil is a part of God's plan and God is the cause of evil.

Scripture?
                Ahab released a man that God had deemed should die and Ahab was the one who died for it.

You skipped John Piper's point again, he shows from Scripture that God meant what happened to Joseph, for good. As in the cross...

Blessings,
                Lee
                And I agree, but it doesn't mean that evil is caused by God.

Comment