Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will Impeachment End...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    I don't have time to reread the thread for you. Believe me or don't that it was relevant to what I was responding to.
    I reread the thread already. Not only was it not relevant to the discussion, the rules you quoted (from "Google" ) were for the Senate punishing one of their own, not the President.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I reread the thread already. Not only was it not relevant to the discussion,
      The claim was that censure required 2/3s. Hence my response.

the rules you quoted (from "Google" ) were for the Senate punishing one of their own, not the President.
      Are you saying it requires more than a majority of members to censure the president? Based on what?

Comment

Citation please.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There was no such claim.
          Are you saying it requires more than a majority of members to censure the president? Based on what?
          I'm saying that if you're going to cite the rules, it helps to cite ones which directly apply. According to the Congressional Research Service:
          Source: CRS

In the Senate, a Member could make a unanimous consent request to consider a censure
          resolution at the time it was submitted. If any Senator objected to this procedure, consideration of
          the resolution would effectively be blocked.19
          A Senator might instead submit the resolution for it to be referred to committee in the usual way.
          The Senate committee might then report the censure resolution, allowing the measure to be called
          up on the floor by unanimous consent or by debatable motion.20 In either case, the resolution and
          any preamble therein would each be separately debatable and amendable, including by nongermane amendment.
          If a Senator introduces an amendment that contains censorious language or attempts to alter a
          resolution of censure, that amendment would also be subject to debate. As a result, without
          unanimous consent, one or more cloture processes, requiring supermajority vote thresholds, might
          be necessary in order to reach a final vote on censure language in the Senate.

© Copyright Original Source

(page 4)

Effectively, it would take 60 Senators voting for a resolution of censure (to pass cloture).
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Trump Job Approval at Personal Best 49%

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- President Donald Trump's job approval rating has risen to 49%, his highest in Gallup polling since he took office in 2017.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/284156/...onal-best.aspx

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There was no such claim.

I'm saying that if you're going to cite the rules, it helps to cite ones which directly apply. According to the Congressional Research Service:
              Source: CRS

In the Senate, a Member could make a unanimous consent request to consider a censure
              resolution at the time it was submitted. If any Senator objected to this procedure, consideration of
              the resolution would effectively be blocked.19
              A Senator might instead submit the resolution for it to be referred to committee in the usual way.
              The Senate committee might then report the censure resolution, allowing the measure to be called
              up on the floor by unanimous consent or by debatable motion.20 In either case, the resolution and
              any preamble therein would each be separately debatable and amendable, including by nongermane amendment.
              If a Senator introduces an amendment that contains censorious language or attempts to alter a
              resolution of censure, that amendment would also be subject to debate. As a result, without
              unanimous consent, one or more cloture processes, requiring supermajority vote thresholds, might
              be necessary in order to reach a final vote on censure language in the Senate.

© Copyright Original Source

(page 4)

Effectively, it would take 60 Senators voting for a resolution of censure (to pass cloture).
              You can be such a policy wonk!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Trump Job Approval at Personal Best 49%

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- President Donald Trump's job approval rating has risen to 49%, his highest in Gallup polling since he took office in 2017.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/284156/...onal-best.aspx

And up 10 points since October.

I hope Trump has put Schiff on his Christmas card list.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  You can be such a policy wonk!
                  Nah. I just appear to have better Google-fu.

sigpic

Comment

Nah. I just appear to have better Google-fu.
                    00000000000000ab000-00aaai.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      I know you're not as dumb as that, Sparko. The documentary evidence and witness testimony could have cleared up any doubt and erased any rationalizations the republicans could use to cover-up the truth from the American people, and the republicans knew it. That's why they all voted against new evidence, they didn't want you, their constituents to see the facts, or that they were covering for the president. The question is, why didn't you want to see it, and the answer to that I think we all, including you, already know.
                      But the evidence they had at the hearing was "overwhelming" Jimmy. Why did they need more? And if they have more that they are going to leak, then why didn't they use it in the hearing and in their presentation to the Senate at the trial?

Comment

• If Trump gets reelected then this whole thing is going down in history as a sham impeachment which the American People rejected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          If Trump gets reelected then this whole thing is going down in history as a sham impeachment which the American People rejected.
                          If Trump loses 2020 then Schiff will be right that history will not be kind to Trump. Schiff has made himself a viable future presidential candidate with that performance and if Trump wins 2020 then I believe Schiff will run and win 2024. The man has a bright future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                            If Trump loses 2020 then Schiff will be right that history will not be kind to Trump. Schiff has made himself a viable future presidential candidate with that performance and if Trump wins 2020 then I believe Schiff will run and win 2024. The man has a bright future.
                            This is another textbook example of my theorem that it is impossible to tell the difference between sarcasm and liberal delusion.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              This is another textbook example of my theorem that it is impossible to tell the difference between sarcasm and liberal delusion.
                              I’m rubber you’re glue?

Schiff is very popular with the democrats and extremely despised by republicans. Despite what you think, he did a good job evidenced by Sen Alexander’s comments and another rep senator who said that Sen Alexander spoke for many of us. I’d say he overachieved seeing how confident republicans were that the senate would immediately dismiss.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                                You forgot the sarcasm tags. [ sarcasm ] and [ /sarcasm ]

Without the spaces, of course.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment