Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So The American Heartland Is A Racist Term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    No, it is not so hard for me to believe that you would need to search google before you could make a moral decision on the Noseberg Shekelstein meme. I think I would describe it as disappointing.
    because everyone is supposed to know every internet meme? I don't spend my life looking for every racist meme on the internet. Apparently you do.

If Christianity is defined by being offended at those listed topics, but not of racist and antisemitic memes, then that version of the Christian faith is radically different than what I hold.
    Christianity is defined by having Christ as your Savior. Not going around being offending by various topics. I guess the version you hold is something you just made up? You really don't seem to know what the bible says about much at all, nor what Christianity is. How did you become a Catholic? Raised as one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      because everyone is supposed to know every internet meme? I don't spend my life looking for every racist meme on the internet. Apparently you do.

Christianity is defined by having Christ as your Savior. Not going around being offending by various topics. I guess the version you hold is something you just made up? You really don't seem to know what the bible says about much at all, nor what Christianity is. How did you become a Catholic? Raised as one?
      Like Paul saying that all Cretans were liars - what a bigot!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I just don't understand why he's bringing up this stuff seemingly at random and yelling, "This is offensive!" when nobody else is talking about it.
        Exactly. He just brings up something as if we have been talking about it all along and then gets upset if we don't know what the heck he is going on about. Starting to remind me more and more of Darfius. Just an angry troll who wants to yell at people.

Comment

Sure, no one expects you to know every internet meme, but apparently few really expect you to be able to use any type of prudential judgement.

Since when is Christianity defined by having Christ as your Savior? How often is the charge leveled, either directly or indirectly, of not a bona fide Christian based on some other criteria?

What a wonderful avatar you have. In a discussion on racism, and after being given the example of milk chuggers using the term lampshade with "Noseberg Shekelstein" you thought it prudent, and humorous, to use a series of memes to mimick the memes used by racists.

Quite a while ago, I posted a thread (maybe a series of threads) and made the shocking assertion that the church in America was an incubator for antisemitic and racist ideas, and that associating with Christians and attending church, was not, in and of itself, sufficient to separate oneself from antisemitic ideas.

With no great irony, a mod edited a quote I used. I used a quote which I felt summarized the Pepe the Frog phenomenon in the election, and left in a single letter followed by astericks, which allowed readers to suss out the original word. And the quote which I also feel sums up the racist attitudes of the alt right is proudly used as an avatar.

One point I frequently make is that non racists do pick up and use racist stereotypes and memes. But at what point does the use of objectionable memes become objectionable?
          Last edited by simplicio; 02-06-2020, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Sure, no one expects you to know every internet meme, but apparently few really expect you to be able to use any type of prudential judgement.

Since when is Christianity defined by having Christ as your Savior? How often is the charge leveled, either directly or indirectly, of not a bona fide Christian based on some other criteria?
            so you want a complete list of orthodox doctrines now?

What a wonderful avatar you have. In a discussion on racism, and after being given the example of milk chuggers using the term lampshade with "Noseberg Shekelstein" you thought it prudent, and humorous, to use a series of memes to mimick the memes used by racists.
            Thanks, I thought you would appreciate it. But I am not using memes used by racists, but merely mocking your idiotic claims that just because something is used by a racist it becomes a racist meme. Have you stopped drinking milk yet? Have you thrown away all of your lampshades at home? If not you are a racist!!

Quite a while ago, I posted a thread (maybe a series of threads) and made the shocking assertion that the church in America was an incubator for antisemitic and racist ideas, and that associating with Christians and attending church, was not, in and of itself, sufficient to separate oneself from antisemitic ideas.

With no great irony, a mod edited a quote I used. I used a quote which I felt summarized the Pepe the Frog phenomenon in the election, and left in a single letter followed by astericks, which allowed readers to suss out the original word. And the quote which I also feel sums up the racist attitudes of the alt right is proudly used as an avatar.

One point I frequently make is that non racists do pick up and use racist stereotypes and memes. But at what point does the use of objectionable memes become objectionable?
            Apparently it becomes objectionable when an up-tight prig like yourself takes offense at everything they see. Then everything is objectionable. Luckily I don't really care if you are offended or not. That's your personal problem, not mine.

Comment

so you want a complete list of orthodox doctrines now?
              How about a list of Tweb Christians who actually believe that being a Christian is defined by having Christ as your Savior There are quite a few Christians here which find other things important

Thanks, I thought you would appreciate it. But I am not using memes used by racists, but merely mocking your idiotic claims that just because something is used by a racist it becomes a racist meme. Have you stopped drinking milk yet? Have you thrown away all of your lampshades at home? If not you are a racist!!
              I see that you changed it back, gee, I guess that Jews must be uptight prigs to object to the use of "lampshade" as a name, with names with -stein, or -berg.

Apparently it becomes objectionable when an up-tight prig like yourself takes offense at everything they see. Then everything is objectionable. Luckily I don't really care if you are offended or not. That's your personal problem, not mine.[/QUOTE]
              Last edited by mossrose; 02-06-2020, 06:05 PM. Reason: sorry, meant to quote and accidentally hit edit.

Comment

Since Jesus Died on the Cross simplicio if you dont accept Christ as your savior you are not saved and not a follower of Christ.

Apostles' Creed
                I believe in God, the Father almighty,
                creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
                who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
                and born of the virgin Mary.
                He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
                was crucified, died, and was buried;
                he descended to hell.
                The third day he rose again from the dead.
                He ascended to heaven
                and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
                From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
                the holy catholic* church,
                the communion of saints,
                the forgiveness of sins,
                the resurrection of the body,
                and the life everlasting. Amen.

*that is, the true Christian church of all times and all places

and

Nicene Creed
                We believe in one God,
                the Father almighty,
                maker of heaven and earth,
                of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
                the only Son of God,
                begotten from the Father before all ages,
                God from God,
                Light from Light,
                true God from true God,
                begotten, not made;
                of the same essence as the Father.
                Through him all things were made.
                For us and for our salvation
                he came down from heaven;
                he became incarnate by the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary,
                and was made human.
                He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate;
                he suffered and was buried.
                The third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures.
                He ascended to heaven
                and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
                He will come again with glory
                to judge the living and the dead.
                His kingdom will never end.

And we believe in the Holy Spirit,
                the Lord, the giver of life.
                He proceeds from the Father and the Son,
                and with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified.
                He spoke through the prophets.
                We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church.
                We affirm one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
                We look forward to the resurrection of the dead,
                and to life in the world to come. Amen.

These 2 creeds spell out the essential fundamental beliefs you must have.

Tell me Simplicio which Christians here in civics are the ones dividing over non essentials like political view?
                Last edited by RumTumTugger; 02-06-2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

How about a list of Tweb Christians who actually believe that being a Christian is defined by having Christ as your Savior There are quite a few Christians here which find other things important

I see that you changed it back, gee, I guess that Jews must be uptight prigs to object to the use of "lampshade" as a name, with names with -stein, or -berg.

Apparently it becomes objectionable when an up-tight prig like yourself takes offense at everything they see. Then everything is objectionable. Luckily I don't really care if you are offended or not. That's your personal problem, not mine.

Please do elucidate us on what YOU believe to be the criterion to be saved.

We will wait with baited breath.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    worm-on-hook-vector-id866994600.jpg
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Highly unlikely that a god, assuming a god exists, would judge any imperfect human being based on their belief, or lack thereof, in the extraordinary claims made in an ancient book claimed to be history. If a god wanted all human beings to know without doubt that it existed, I'm sure it could find a way to accomplish that. If it just expects people to believe, then that would be its error, not ours.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Highly unlikely that a god, assuming a god exists, would judge any imperfect human being based on their belief, or lack thereof, in the extraordinary claims made in an ancient book claimed to be history. If a god wanted all human beings to know without doubt that it existed, I'm sure it could find a way to accomplish that. If it just expects people to believe, then that would be its error, not ours.
                        I'm sure simplicio is perfectly capable of responding to me without your help, Jim. You might want to keep your thoughts to yourself on this matter, since they have no bearing on what simplicio is sure to tell me.
                        Last edited by mossrose; 02-06-2020, 08:15 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                          Since Jesus Died on the Cross simplicio if you dont accept Christ as your savior you are not saved and not a follower of Christ.

Apostles' Creed
                          I believe in God, the Father almighty,
                          creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
                          who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
                          and born of the virgin Mary.
                          He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
                          was crucified, died, and was buried;
                          he descended to hell.
                          The third day he rose again from the dead.
                          He ascended to heaven
                          and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
                          From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
                          the holy catholic* church,
                          the communion of saints,
                          the forgiveness of sins,
                          the resurrection of the body,
                          and the life everlasting. Amen.

*that is, the true Christian church of all times and all places

and

Nicene Creed
                          We believe in one God,
                          the Father almighty,
                          maker of heaven and earth,
                          of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
                          the only Son of God,
                          begotten from the Father before all ages,
                          God from God,
                          Light from Light,
                          true God from true God,
                          begotten, not made;
                          of the same essence as the Father.
                          Through him all things were made.
                          For us and for our salvation
                          he came down from heaven;
                          he became incarnate by the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary,
                          and was made human.
                          He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate;
                          he suffered and was buried.
                          The third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures.
                          He ascended to heaven
                          and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
                          He will come again with glory
                          to judge the living and the dead.
                          His kingdom will never end.

And we believe in the Holy Spirit,
                          the Lord, the giver of life.
                          He proceeds from the Father and the Son,
                          and with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified.
                          He spoke through the prophets.
                          We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church.
                          We affirm one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
                          We look forward to the resurrection of the dead,
                          and to life in the world to come. Amen.

These 2 creeds spell out the essential fundamental beliefs you must have.

Tell me Simplicio which Christians here in civics are the ones dividing over non essentials like political view?
                          I agree with you. But if others believed that, then why do they treat non essentials as if they were essentials? How often is the thinly veiled "not a Christian" charge levied, by persons who purportedly hold some variation of orthodoxy.

I am not arguing against orthodoxy, but note that many others are willing to divide over the non essentials.

Comment

Perhaps you could elucidate on the boundaries of Christian speech are. Apparently Noseberg "Lampshade" Shekelstein is something that is not beyond the pale for Christians in a Christian discussion site.

Maybe it is too much to ask of Christians to be able to reject such things.

Comment

Perhaps you could elucidate on the boundaries of Christian speech are. Apparently Noseberg "Lampshade" Shekelstein is something that is not beyond the pale for Christians in a Christian discussion site.

Maybe it is too much to ask of Christians to be able to reject such things.
                              We’re supposed to reject things that never happened?
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                We’re supposed to reject things that never happened?
                                Oh. Why did Sparko change his avatar multiple times?

Comment