Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So The American Heartland Is A Racist Term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I'll grant Pepe the Frog, but milk? Really, dude?
    Pepe the frog and milk were both latched onto by real racists after some people were trolling trying to say they were inherently racist. I think it started on 4Chan for milk, and possibly Pepe too. Looks like the guy who created Pepe has been trying to distance his creation from racists by attempting to stop them from using his artwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      Pepe the frog and milk were both latched onto by real racists after some people were trolling trying to say they were inherently racist. I think it started on 4Chan for milk, and possibly Pepe too. Looks like the guy who created Pepe has been trying to distance his creation from racists by attempting to stop them from using his artwork.
      I'm aware of all this, but I don't think it's fair to equate the two. Pepe was a relatively unknown character who is basically only known for this kerfluffle at this point in time. Milk is a nearly universal drink with nearly universally innocuous connotations. Pepe's association with racists is far more prevalent than anything with milk and simplicio should not be accusing Christians of association with racism on milk's account. At the very least, I think there should be pushback that this is ridiculous and not conceding the point.

I have also heard something of what EvoUK said so it is plausible some could be using milk as a means of promoting stereotypes (sort of like how people make jokes about how black people can't swim). But I maintain that 99.99% of uses of the word "milk" are innocent.
      Last edited by KingsGambit; 01-31-2020, 11:18 AM.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm aware of all this, but I don't think it's fair to equate the two. Pepe was a relatively unknown character who is basically only known for this kerfluffle at this point in time. Milk is a nearly universal drink with nearly universally innocuous connotations. Pepe's association with racists is far more prevalent than anything with milk and simplicio should not be accusing Christians of association with racism on milk's account. At the very least, I think there should be pushback that this is ridiculous and not conceding the point.

I have also heard something of what EvoUK said so it is plausible some could be using milk as a means of promoting stereotypes (sort of like how people make jokes about how black people can't swim). But I maintain that 99.99% of uses of the word "milk" are innocent.
        While the two aren't equal, which I never said they were, they both seem to have befallen the same kind of attempt at co-opting. Many people don't know of Pepe's history, and how it was a good 11 years of him being a mostly harmless meme.

Comment

While the two aren't equal, which I never said they were, they both seem to have befallen the same kind of attempt at co-opting. Many people don't know of Pepe's history, and how it was a good 11 years of him being a mostly harmless meme.
          The "OK" signal genuinely seems to have been co-opted as well. But I think there should be some pushback here, rather than simply surrendering milk to the racist fringe. Some "we're not going to allow everything to be taken over".
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The "OK" signal genuinely seems to have been co-opted as well. But I think there should be some pushback here, rather than simply surrendering milk to the racist fringe. Some "we're not going to allow everything to be taken over".
            People are pushing back against all three being co-opted based on what I've seen.

Comment

People are pushing back against all three being co-opted based on what I've seen.
              My initial response was to simplicio seeming to simply surrender it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Chocolate milk isn't.

Comment

My initial response was to simplicio seeming to simply surrender it.
                  simplicio is racist for waving the white flag on this one!

Comment

_108993216_ok-hand.jpg
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I think the OK one is probably too far gone by this point. A couple of people used it in high profile settings with clearly malicious intent (one of them at a Chicago Cubs game) so it probably is what it is at this point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

Mayor Pete has been dogged by charges of racism since the beginning of his candidacy. What makes this thread bizarre is that the nutbars on one side of the political divide see everything as racist, while Christian conservative recognize nothing as racist, even the usage of terms like Heartland, milk, Pepe the Frog as used by overt racists.
                        I understand that some of them recently and repeatedly used the words "the," "or," and "and" smiley hair-fire.gif

Oh noes!!!1!!eleventy-one! I just used "and" and "the"! That must mean in simplico's world that I'm a virulent racist as well. smiley hair-derp.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Chocolate milk isn't.
                          Well of course milk of color can't be racist. Only milk with white privilege is racist. It is guilty of lactose appropriation also.

Comment

All I know is that God's rainbow has been co-opted by a hate group.

And I only drink dark chocolate almond milk.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

And I only drink dark chocolate almond milk.
                              Bigot!
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Bigot!
                                No! She is woke!

Comment