Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

March Madness Christian Apologist voting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Madness Christian Apologist voting

This has been going on and it looks like I'm involved in it. If you like what you see here, I would appreciate your vote.

https://twitter.com/ApologistPolls/s...36911248134144

Do you have to play basketball against other apologists?

Comment

I don't feel that it is fair to rank you against people whom I've never heard of before. This strikes me as largely a popularity contest, and I hope none of those being proffered are doing their work for the sake of popularity.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I don't approve of this either. Even if it's meant to be just for fun, it seems to veer too close to "party spirit", which in a church context is one of the sins mentioned throughout Paul's letters.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I agree with OBP and KG. Even if we're talking about ranking people according to who is the best at apologetics, should we really be doing that? To what end?
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I think you guys are getting way too serious about this.

From their web page:

2020 Christian Apologist March Madness

In a now annual tradition, I place the top 256 Christian Apologists head to head in a March Madness Competition. This completion is open to all Apologists. The goal of this competition is to glorify God by promoting Apologetics, and having a little bit of fun at the same time!

https://adherentapologetics.com/chri...march-madness/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I think you guys are getting way too serious about this.

From their web page:

2020 Christian Apologist March Madness

In a now annual tradition, I place the top 256 Christian Apologists head to head in a March Madness Competition. This completion is open to all Apologists. The goal of this competition is to glorify God by promoting Apologetics, and having a little bit of fun at the same time!

https://adherentapologetics.com/chri...march-madness/
              It might be intended in fun, but the amount of backbiting and rivalry within the apologetics community really is out of control (and last year some people were taking this pretty seriously).
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Evan Minton and I were once in competition in this and we still remain good friends. I'm mainly pleased to learn about others but also as one trying to establish myself so I can do more and provide for my own family, get my work out there more.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    It might be intended in fun, but the amount of backbiting and rivalry within the apologetics community really is out of control (and last year some people were taking this pretty seriously).
                    But the backbiting and rivalry exists independently, without this sort of "madness". On the one hand, there few are familiar with a range of apologists' writings such that the vote represents much. But it is a move to engage Christians and getting them to read a wider range.

If we have the Bible, why even bother reading what an apologist has to say? (Yes, that is a serious question, one which is brought up on Tweb quite. Usually it comes in the form of an answer of the form "the gospel" or some pericope)

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                      This has been going on and it looks like I'm involved in it. If you like what you see here, I would appreciate your vote.

https://twitter.com/ApologistPolls/s...36911248134144
                      Looks like it closed the day you posted this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Looks like it closed the day you posted this.
                        It was open when I posted it.

Comment

Unfortunately, it seems like my concerns have come to pass. One particularly controversial apologist (who is known for boorish behavior and poor arguments) has rocketed through the brackets, and people have been banding together to vote *against* him rather than for anybody in particular. Meanwhile, one of this apologist's supporters decided to start a smear campaign against his most recent opponent on Twitter by posting a comment he made out of context. All I can think about it how Paul said that it didn't matter whether the gospel was promoted from selfish motivations or not but rather that it was promoted.

Comment