Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Coronavirus declared public health emergency by WHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus declared public health emergency by WHO

It figures that no one here has mentioned this by now. Your heads are even more in the sand/up your rears than I thought. Prepare.

Not being an epidemiologist, I'm completely clueless about why they keep comparing it to the influenza virus. They say the flu virus is worse and has killed more people, but hasn't the flu virus had enough time to spread, whereas CV has only been concentrated in specific areas? But this is probably my ignorance, and I don't even have a clue where flu viruses originate and how they spread so fast each year.

Also, from what I understand, they're finding out that this can incubate for up to two week in a person without showing symptoms yet is still contagious. And there's also dispute about China's reporting of the information, or that the death rate is much worse than they're reporting.

Comment

At this point, it's all a big "meh" to me.

On the news, it's lots of frantic scary headlines.

But the details don't seem to live up to the hype. Unless the reported numbers are way off, I don't think the mortality rate is any worse than the flu. The (admittedly few) people in the U.S. who have contracted it don't seem to have symptoms worse than flu or even bad cold.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Go and find a copy of Michael Chrichton's "State of Fear".

Then read it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Not being an epidemiologist, I'm completely clueless about why they keep comparing it to the influenza virus. They say the flu virus is worse and has killed more people, but hasn't the flu virus had enough time to spread, whereas CV has only been concentrated in specific areas? But this is probably my ignorance, and I don't even have a clue where flu viruses originate and how they spread so fast each year.

Also, from what I understand, they're finding out that this can incubate for up to two week in a person without showing symptoms yet is still contagious. And there's also dispute about China's reporting of the information, or that the death rate is much worse than they're reporting.
          We have "herd immunity" to the flu, so the vast majority of deaths occur in the elderly, the very young and the immunocompromised. No one has experienced this virus before. WHO also admitted that roughly 20% (at least) of cases result in pneumonia or severe respiratory complications. That's a huge number. And the video shows why this virus is exponentially more contagious than the flu.

Comment

I bet this will turn out to be another swine flu or SARs like scare.

Either that or it is Captain Trips and the world is about to end (see: The Stand by Stephen King)

Comment

We are all going to die one day. As believers we have an eternal home in heaven and our lives are in God's hands. If He chooses to take us out of the world with this CV or any other way so be it. God's will be done. This (often scary full of suffering) world is not our home.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                We are all going to die one day. As believers we have an eternal home in heaven and our lives are in God's hands. If He chooses to take us out of the world with this CV or any other way so be it. God's will be done. This (often scary full of suffering) world is not our home.
                What if God's will is that you help save others and fight the wickedness in this world rather than portray your disinterest in advancing His kingdom as holiness? Your logic taken to its end would have us take our lives to "get home sooner".

My home is where Christ is, whether that be here, in heaven or in Sheol. And He said the only way He and His Father would be one with us is if we did their will.

And God didn't make the coronavirus. A very different entity did.

Please keep your coping out of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
                  What if God's will is that you help save others and fight the wickedness in this world rather than portray your disinterest in advancing His kingdom as holiness? Your logic taken to its end would have us take our lives to "get home sooner".

My home is where Christ is, whether that be here, in heaven or in Sheol. And He said the only way He and His Father would be one with us is if we did their will.

And God didn't make the coronavirus. A very different entity did.

Please keep your coping out of the thread.
                  If God doesn't want to call us home, then we won't be. He is sovereign. If he allows a virus to kill us, then that is only by his permission. Esther was merely saying that even if something bad happens to us here, we can still depend on God, and we are ultimately saved and will be with him for eternity. That doesn't mean we should just sit on our butts and do nothing. We should make the most of our time here while we can. But we also shouldn't worry too much about what we can't control.

But then you are only here to hate and accuse. You are not here for discussion. Reminds me of some other accuser in the bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I bet this will turn out to be another swine flu or SARs like scare.

Either that or it is Captain Trips and the world is about to end (see: The Stand by Stephen King)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/nih-...y-serious.html

About 25% of them have very serious disease, requiring relatively intensive or really intensive care,” NIH’s Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNBC on Monday.

China’s National Health Commission said the confirmed coronavirus cases in China increased to 17,205. The death toll rose to 361 there. [More than twice total number of SARS cases in less than half the time]

“There are probably a lot more people who were infected in China who have not been really counted,” Fauci said. “The number is probably much larger.”

Comment

If God doesn't want to call us home, then we won't be. He is sovereign. If he allows a virus to kill us, then that is only by his permission. Esther was merely saying that even if something bad happens to us here, we can still depend on God, and we are ultimately saved and will be with him for eternity. That doesn't mean we should just sit on our butts and do nothing. We should make the most of our time here while we can. But we also shouldn't worry too much about what we can't control.
                      This is a thread relaying facts people should be aware of, not a place to recount one's emotional distress over said facts couched in "holy" language. I'm not worried, but whether I am or not is not relevant or important enough to relate on a public forum.

But then you are only here to hate and accuse. You are not here for discussion. Reminds me of some other accuser in the bible.
                      Scripture Verse: 1 Kings 18:17

When Ahab saw Elijah, Ahab said to him, “Is it you, you troubler of Israel?”

© Copyright Original Source

You remind me of this accuser. Plot twist, he worshipped Baal and blamed men of God for his problems.
                      Last edited by Darfius; 02-03-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
                        This is a thread relaying facts people should be aware of, not a place to recount one's emotional distress over said facts couched in "holy" language. I'm not worried, but whether I am or not is not relevant or important enough to relate on a public forum.
                        Relaying facts? Coronaviruses have been around forever and known since the 1960s. This just happens to be a particularly bad one. And the media is picking it up as a good scare story for ratings. Just like they did SARS (another coronavirus by the way) and the Swine Flu, and other such things.

Scripture Verse: 1 Kings 18:17

When Ahab saw Elijah, Ahab said to him, “Is it you, you troubler of Israel?”

© Copyright Original Source

You remind me of this accuser. Plot twist, he worshipped Baal and blamed men of God for his problems.
                        You are the one who started with the accusing right in your very first opening post.

It figures that no one here has mentioned this by now. Your heads are even more in the sand/up your rears than I thought. Prepare.
                        Then you jumped on anyone who posted here, like Esther.

You just came here to pick a fight.

Comment

An unusual drug "cocktail" seems to be showing some success as a treatment.

Meanwhile, the first U.S. patient has been released from the hospital.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

TaiwanNews

On late Saturday evening (Feb. 1), Tencent, on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker", showed confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) in China as standing at 154,023, 10 times the official figure at the time. It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.

The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was 24,589, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.

Moments later, Tencent updated the numbers to reflect the government's "official" numbers that day. Netizens noticed that Tencent has on at least three occasions posted extremely high numbers, only to quickly lower them to government-approved statistics.

Feb. 1 chart showing higher numbers (left), chart showing "official" numbers (right). (Internet image)

Netizens also noticed that each time the screen with the large numbers appears, it shows a comparison with the previous day's data which demonstrates a "reasonable" incremental increase, much like comparisons of official numbers. This has led some netizens to speculate that Tencent has two sets of data, the real data and "processed" data.

Some are speculating that a coding problem could be causing the real "internal" data to accidentally appear. Others believe that someone behind the scenes is trying to leak the real numbers.

However, the "internal" data held by Beijing may not reflect the true extent of the epidemic. According to multiple sources in Wuhan, many coronavirus patients are unable to receive treatment and die outside of hospitals.
                            For whatever it's worth

Comment

Esther was merely saying that even if something bad happens to us here, we can still depend on God, and we are ultimately saved and will be with him for eternity.
                              Correct. Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X