Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Tylenol or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    You realize that if a person has intense pain from say....breaking a bone,
    Well, in some cases, the remedy is to reset the bone, and then keep from stressing it for a long enough time. That was often the remedy long before oh, say 1800.

or being pregnant, they cannot simply "make the cause" go away
    But time (nine months) is the natural remedy.

and sometimes the natural remedy isn't enough.
    please specify examples other than those above.

Also food for though, if a person is having a heart attack, you give them aspirin, you can't make the heart attack go away. So.....ummm calm the crazy down a notch or two.

And I'm one of the twebbers who uses LOTS of "all-natural/organic" stuff.
    My diagnosis: your reading skill are crazy in some way, or you don't take enough care to understand posts correctly.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasia Dragule View Post
      What herbs are there for painkillers, and do they deal with muscle spasms/tension headaches? (Already familiar with bengay, tiger balm, other menthol rubs.)
      Don't really know. Sorry.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

What herbs are there for painkillers, and do they deal with muscle spasms/tension headaches? (Already familiar with bengay, tiger balm, other menthol rubs.)
        Here's a couple of the better known ones.
        For Chronic migraines: feverfew has been used internally. It seems to produce an ongoing effect. Not to be taken in pregnancy.
        For General Pain: White Willow Bark aka the parent of aspirin is highly effective and produces the NSAID effect. Use as you would like all NSAIDS and understand that the side effects may be that of all NSAIDS. Do not combine with any other Aspirin or Salicylates (such as pepto bismal) and do not combine with pain releivers such as ibuprofen or aleve.
        Turmeric: A spice helpful as an immune defense and an anti inflammatory, and known for being helpful with arthritis and pre-menstrual problems. Do not take with warfarin as it is likely to slow clotting times.
        Allergies and the Common Cold or Flu
        Black Elderberry Syrup: Several marketable studies do show elderberry's effectiveness when fighting respiratory symptoms. Purchase a reputable brand to ensure that the berry is fully cooked. If you have any other issues several types are available in a base without alcohol and use caution that the type you give to infants under one is without honey. Some suggest that elderberry is useful for pain.
        Honey: For infants over the age of one to adults. Honey produces Hydrogen Peroxide and has a well studied germ fighting component. Proponents of honey therapy suggest trying a local unfiltered version usually available through the farmer's market or in some grocery stores. Honey is also used to promote overall well being.

All information is summarized from the NCCAM database.
        Hope this is somewhat useful
        Last edited by Catholicity; 05-27-2014, 09:10 AM.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Now the FDA is recommending that people stop taking doses exceeding 325 mg of acetaminophen.

Well, not exactly. Pharmacists are supposed now to take acetaminophen products off their shelves. But I am not sure about OTC products? Anyway, I'd recommend you stop using them.
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            Now the FDA is recommending that people stop taking doses exceeding 325 mg of acetaminophen.

Well, not exactly. Pharmacists are supposed now to take acetaminophen products off their shelves. But I am not sure about OTC products? Anyway, I'd recommend you stop using them.
            The maximum recommended daily dose of acetaminophen, when used in prescription combination drugs (eg, Vicodin, which is hydrocodone plus acetaminophen) used to 4 g per day, less for those who drink alcohol. Three years ago, the FDA asked drugmakers to reduce this to 3 g/d, again less for those who drink, by January of this year. Effectively, this meant reducing the maximum acetaminophen component from 500 mg per pill to 325 mg per pill. Prescription pain killers that combine opioids and acetaminophen needed to come out with different amounts of acetaminophen so that you could still take the same amount of an opioid without exceeding the daily limit of acetaminophen. Some opioids were previously only available in combination with acetaminophen but have since become available without any acetaminophen for those who may need to take opioids long term.

There are also labeling changes on over-the-counter Tylenol, reducing the maximum daily dose of the 325-mg tablet from 3,900 mg/d to 3,250 mg/d. I think extra-strength Tylenol will still come in 500-mg tablets, and some parts of their website still says that you can take 8 tablets or 4,000 mg/day, but this is in the process of changing from 500mg x 8/day to 500mg 6x/day. This is McNeil's up-to-date current advice to patients: http://www.tylenol.com/safety-dosing...age-for-adults

This is their advice to health-care professionals:
            5. Can I still recommend 4,000 mg per day of Extra Strength TYLENOL® to patients?
            When recommending Extra Strength TYLENOL®, it is important to discuss the new OTC label with patients, specifically the new 6-hour dosage interval and 3,000 mg total daily dose. Healthcare providers can help prevent overdose and liver injury by reinforcing the importance of reading and following the OTC label.

For patients whose pain or fever recurs despite the administration of a total daily dose of 3,000 mg, the new dosing instructions allow for healthcare professionals to exercise their discretion. The efficacy and safety of TYLENOL® products at the maximum daily dose of 4,000 mg per day have been well established in clinical studies and actual use. Patients should be instructed not to take more than 3,000 mg per day unless under the direction of a healthcare provider.

http://www.tylenolprofessional.com/e...osage-faq.html
            Last edited by robrecht; 05-27-2014, 09:30 PM.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Important to note: Acetaminophen is not dangerous unless it is contraindicated, abused, or overdosed. Please ultimately check with the family physician for final concerns regarding the appropriate safe amount for your body.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

and sometimes the natural remedy isn't enough.
                please specify examples other than those above.
                How about surgery? I want whatever works if I have to be cut open like that.
                I am become death...

Comment

How about surgery? I want whatever works if I have to be cut open like that.
                  Surgery is not a natural remedy IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    Important to note: Acetaminophen is not dangerous unless it is contraindicated, abused, or overdosed. Please ultimately check with the family physician for final concerns regarding the appropriate safe amount for your body.
                    Why did you not recommend that people check for alternatives that may be both safe and more effective?

Comment

Surgery is not a natural remedy IMO.
                      wow playing dumb already?

He obviously meant that natural remedy pain medication is not enough relief for surgical procedures.

Comment

Why did you not recommend that people check for alternatives that may be both safe and more effective?
                        Perhaps because the thread starter (Me ) was specifically asking about the differences between the common OTC pain relievers.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X