Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

See more
See less

John 12: "For you always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John 12: "For you always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me."

John 12:4 Then one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot (who was about to betray Him), said, 5

It sounds like Jesus had no problem with the very expensive perfume being used on Him and not being used for the poor.

What you do make of Jesus' response? Thank you.

I think, for one, Jesus was highlighting the hypocrisy of Judas, who didn't give a flying flip about the poor, and was a crook.

(It's always fun when the motives are spelled out in the text)

I think this is pretty much like when "Holy Week" comes to our Church --- that becomes our primary focus for that week.

I think He's also trying to underscore the fact that something YUGE was about to happen, and Mary "got it", but his disciples didn't.

Just some quick first thoughts.

ALSO... this is kind of a good example of people wanting to direct the spending of other people's money!
    It was MARY'S money - it was none of Judas' business how she spent it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think, for one, Jesus was highlighting the hypocrisy of Judas, who didn't give a flying flip about the poor, and was a crook.

(It's always fun when the motives are spelled out in the text)

I think this is pretty much like when "Holy Week" comes to our Church --- that becomes our primary focus for that week.

I think He's also trying to underscore the fact that something YUGE was about to happen, and Mary "got it", but his disciples didn't.

Just some quick first thoughts.

ALSO... this is kind of a good example of people wanting to direct the spending of other people's money!
      It was MARY'S money - it was none of Judas' business how she spent it.
      Do you think one of Jesus' points was that since they would always have the poor that they had plenty of opportunities to give them support?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        Do you think one of Jesus' points was that since they would always have the poor that they had plenty of opportunities to give them support?
        Yes, I think that's pretty clear.

And, it's kinda like one church member telling another church member how much they should or should not give, or what that other church member can do with their own belongings.

And I don't think Jesus was discounting the poor in any sense at all.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment