Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Earth could be hit by MINI ICE-AGE as Sun ‘hibernates’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    That doesn't strike me as accurate. There's nuance involved, but as a scientist myself I would say that quote is more false than true. The guy you're quoting seems to be an author, not a scientist.

In practice nearly always science builds on what has come before. Someone discovers something we can call A. Someone else uses A to discover something else, B. Someone else uses B to discover C. Someone else uses B and D to create D. In this way, sequential discoveries build on each other and are dependent on everyone knowing what came before. If, when eventually the time comes to discover Z, the person doing so will have built on all the previous discoveries. And if, by doing so they prove that discovery T was in some way wrong, and demonstrate that 'what everyone previously believed about T being correct' is wrong, they will have been able to do so precisely because all the other discoveries throughout the alphabet that they have relied on to demonstrate Z, were correct.
    the Crichton quote refers to the great ideas of science do break with the past, but the distant past. Each major milestone, quantum theory, plate techtonics, Darwin's evolution, relativity, all represent a break the (distant) past. But I think it was Kuhn who proposed the idea that the weaknesses of the present science anticipates the next major step, the evolution of knowledge. Each idea was accompanied by the recognition of an inadequacy of current knowledge to explain things.

It is a common theme of science discussions to label certain ideas as liberal, as opposed to conservative. The political labels of left and right ignore the inherent goal of discovering and articulating some truth. In that regard science and theology find themselves in the same boat.

And yes, it does strike my funny bone to describe theology to an atheist as a search for truth, in a discussion in which Christians describe science on terms of left and right, and not a search for truth.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I know in the back of State of Fear he has a lot of notes about this stuff, but I haven't read it in a long time. Thanks.
      He's been doing that since Andromeda Strain. I seem to remember him giving an excuse for not doing so in Disclosure. The examples are gleaned to lend verisimilitude without worrying much about leaving false impressions. There's been plenty of pushback.

His defense is that he's a novelist. He specializes in fiction. Telling engaging lies is what he does for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Well if global warming has increased the temp 1C, then this will just bring it back down to normal, right?
        ...for the duration of the minimum, after which temperatures will spike with a vengeance, and it'll be too late to do anything about it.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          Daddy, why do you call him a goober?
          Because that's what thin-skinned insolent jerks do.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It comes from a speech he gave called "Aliens cause Global Warming" in 2003.
            That was a good article. It expresses the way I feel about a lot of this stuff. Especially things like the future. I have said that we can't predict what new technologies will do to our world. We worry about C02 now but in 30 years when most cars are electric and who knows what other inventions will be here, will we need to worry about it as much?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              That was a good article. It expresses the way I feel about a lot of this stuff. Especially things like the future. I have said that we can't predict what new technologies will do to our world. We worry about C02 now but in 30 years when most cars are electric and who knows what other inventions will be here, will we need to worry about it as much?
              There will always be something else to cause fear and angst.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Fear is a very profitable enterprise both in the church and in science. In fact, when you consider all the best selling books and articles on the rapture and the end of the world by some natural or man-made cataclysm, the two practically go hand in hand. Very strange that is.

Comment

Which is why, when angels go through their training academy, they're taught to begin human contact with "don't be afraid", or "fear not", and why Jesus began his exit strategy with "let not your heart be troubled".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Fear is a very profitable enterprise both in the church and in science. In fact, when you consider all the best selling books and articles on the rapture and the end of the world by some natural or man-made cataclysm, the two practically go hand in hand. Very strange that is.
                    Which is why I never try to bring somebody "into the Kingdom" with fear from damnation, but with love for Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Which is why I never try to bring somebody "into the Kingdom" with fear from damnation, but with love for Jesus.
                      Not very profitable, but obviously the right thing to do. For the science community though, there is no alternative.

Comment

So I have been doing it all wrong?
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          Not very profitable, but obviously the right thing to do. For the science community though, there is no alternative.
                          Let's not equate Al Gore-type AGW hysteria with "the science community", shall we?
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            So I have been doing it all wrong?
                            Lemme guess... Glock cocked, aimed at head "do you know where you would go if you were to die right now"?

Comment

Lemme guess... Glock cocked, aimed at head "do you know where you would go if you were to die right now"?
                              Jesus did talk about hell an awful lot...........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Jesus did talk about hell an awful lot...........
                                He did, more than He talked about Heaven.

Comment