Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bitter Nancy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Sure, you can appeal to the genetic fallacy if you want.
    I will appeal to the serious fact-based media outlets such as Forbes (which if anything tends towards the Right) rather than the Trump propaganda outlets favored by you.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      My dear sweet Jimmy, the idea humanity is destroying the world is tied directly into works like ‘The Population Bomb’ because environmental disaster was a central idea, which was all based on faulty reasoning and bad assumptions. Many people stop listening when such dire claims are made that don’t pan out. The environmentalist movement is filled with such things. That’s why lots of people blow them off.
      My dear sweet bag of wind, population growth may contribute to Global Warming, but it has nothing to do with whether or not Global Warming is true. People like you can use excuses like" a single professer once wrote a book 52 years ago that didn't quite pan out in order to support your ignorant disregard for the facts concerning Global Warming, but the truth of it is staring you in the face.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        My dear sweet bag of wind, population growth may contribute to Global Warming, but it has nothing to do with whether or not Global Warming is true. People like you can use excuses like" a single professer once wrote a book 52 years ago that didn't quite pan out in order to support your ignorant disregard for the facts concerning Global Warming, but the truth of it is staring you in the face.
        My dear sweet Jimmy, it’s not just one prediction, but dozens. Has LA been put under water yet? It was supposed to be under water by now. Climate change was supposed to have caused mass starvation 30 years ago, has it? We are supposed to have run out of oil by now, have we? We were supposed to have reached the point of no return 20 years ago, have we? These are all failed predictions because these are all things that were predicted and failed to pass. Screaming that the sky is falling, for 60 years, only to see it hasn’t fallen is a great way to get others to blow you off.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

My dear sweet Jimmy
          Originally posted by JimL View Post
          My dear sweet bag of wind...
          You two gonna get a room?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You two gonna get a room?
            I dunno, lilpixie's got a number of ardent suitors here.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

My dear sweet Jimmy, it’s not just one prediction, but dozens. Has LA been put under water yet? It was supposed to be under water by now. Climate change was supposed to have caused mass starvation 30 years ago, has it? We are supposed to have run out of oil by now, have we? We were supposed to have reached the point of no return 20 years ago, have we? These are all failed predictions because these are all things that were predicted and failed to pass. Screaming that the sky is falling, for 60 years, only to see it hasn’t fallen is a great way to get others to blow you off.
              Surely these predictions have to judged together with any actions they may have influenced?

The predictions are warnings of where our current route is taking us and recommendations of what changes to implement if we don’t quite like where we seem to be headed.

If previous failed predictions have been the driving influence behind major environmental policies through the years then hasn’t the failed prediction successfully served its purpose?

If someone is in the backseat repeatedly telling us that we will be driving past a McDonald’s unless we change course and we do then it’s a little unfair if the next time they say that we turn around and say ‘you’ve been saying that for years and we have never driven past a McDonald’s so I don’t believe you now’.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                Surely these predictions have to judged together with any actions they may have influenced?

The predictions are warnings of where our current route is taking us and recommendations of what changes to implement if we donÂ’t quite like where we seem to be headed.

If previous failed predictions have been the driving influence behind major environmental policies through the years then hasnÂ’t the failed prediction successfully served its purpose?

If someone is in the backseat repeatedly telling us that we will be driving past a McDonald’s unless we change course and we do then it’s a little unfair if the next time they say that we turn around and say ‘you’ve been saying that for years and we have never driven past a McDonald’s so I don’t believe you now’.
                Want was the world population in the late 50’s? What is it today? The problems these predictions ran into is a lack of understanding of the science at work and an assumption that technology wouldn’t advance to overcome a shortcoming. Engines are way more efficient, drilling technology is greatly improved, refining technology is better, and we gained the ability to get oil from sources previously too expensive. Likewise, they failed to account for increasing plant life and the oceans CO2 absorption abilities.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Want was the world population in the late 50’s? What is it today? The problems these predictions ran into is a lack of understanding of the science at work and an assumption that technology wouldn’t advance to overcome a shortcoming. Engines are way more efficient, drilling technology is greatly improved, refining technology is better, and we gained the ability to get oil from sources previously too expensive. Likewise, they failed to account for increasing plant life and the oceans CO2 absorption abilities.
                  Did the ban on the use of a lot of harmful substances over these years contribute at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                    Did the ban on the use of a lot of harmful substances over these years contribute at all?
                    Maybe a bit, but the big issues the doom and gloom people have is they assume a lot and get a lot of their assumptions wrong.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Apparently Nutsy Pelosi wasn't pre-tearing the speech because she was planning to make a scene at the conclusion of the State of the Union. Rather, she was simply using small tears to mark pages that she thought were "rememberable".

"I made a niche on a couple of pages thinking, 'You ought to remember what was on this page, this page,' then I realized most every page had something in it that was objectionable. So it wasn’t a planned thing, but it was —" she rolled her tongue in her mouth, clearly looking for words, before she changed the subject.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...media-n2561396

You'd have to be as dumb as Tassman and JimL to believe that.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Apparently Nutsy Pelosi wasn't pre-tearing the speech because she was planning to make a scene at the conclusion of the State of the Union. Rather, she was simply using small tears to mark pages that she thought were "rememberable".

"I made a niche on a couple of pages thinking, 'You ought to remember what was on this page, this page,' then I realized most every page had something in it that was objectionable. So it wasn’t a planned thing, but it was —" she rolled her tongue in her mouth, clearly looking for words, before she changed the subject.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...media-n2561396

You'd have to be as dumb as Tassman and JimL to believe that.
                        I don't care what the reason was. All I know is that it was a beautiful thing to see after listening to that pathetic SOTU speach.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          I don't care what the reason was. All I know is that it was a beautiful thing to see after listening to that pathetic SOTU speach.
                          Yeah, celebrating returning veterans, record employment numbers, etc is pathetic to you leftist anti-American.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Yeah, celebrating returning veterans, record employment numbers, etc is pathetic to you leftist anti-American.
                            Only 'true believers' like you can take seriously Trump's combination of reality show and election rally SOTU, complete with sentimental showbiz moments worthy of the Oscar Show. As one can predict from this liar: "The president's address included false and misleading claims on jobs, wages, energy, immigration and more".

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/fa...f-the-union-3/

But of course.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Only 'true believers' like you can take seriously Trump's combination of reality show and election rally SOTU, complete with sentimental showbiz moments worthy of the Oscar Show.
                              The SOTU has not been anything else for decades. But you'd have to know more than CNN or MSNBC spoon feeds you foreigners. Regardless, there were several moments worth praising, and JimL did nothing to distinguish them from the campaigning stuff. He called it ALL "pathetic", which betrays his hyper-partisan hatred. He's a good little leftist after all.

As one can predict from this liar: "The president's address included false and misleading claims on jobs, wages, energy, immigration and more".

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/fa...f-the-union-3/

But of course.
                              The twisting and nitpicking in that article is fantastic. Not 7 Million jobs, 6.7 Million...
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill
                                Not 7 Million jobs, 6.7 Million...
                                But, but, does this mean the sun doesn't rise and set every day? This means we HAVE to say instead that the earth has revolved another half turn???

We've been lied to for thousands of years!!!!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment