Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Research Needed - Impeachment Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Needed - Impeachment Issue

I was at a meeting at Texas A&M this afternoon, and during a break, I was out in the hall. The refreshment table was near the entrance to another ballroom where another meeting was going on.

They had a panel discussion involving constitutional lawyers and historians, and I overheard part where one guy was talking about the "benefits of impeachment". He was holding some documents in his hand, but, again, I was out in the hall peeking in, and couldn't tell what he was holding.

Here's the kicker -- he was explaining that one of the "benefits" of being impeached is that, if your impeachment is acquitted by the Senate, it negates the term of service during which the President was impeached, meaning that it doesn't count against his "two term limit". Then my break was over, and I had to get back to my conference (since I was the presenter )

I can't even IMAGINE where they would get that, and so far, can find nothing on the internet to support that.

Anybody have a clue what this could have been about? When my conference was over, that meeting was all done, and I even looked for any paperwork or note cards or anything, but to no avail.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. There is nothing in the constitution like that. Maybe he was trolling them?

Comment

Found this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/does...ection-2019-12

Answer is "no"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Sounds like wishful thinking to me. There is nothing in the constitution like that. Maybe he was trolling them?
        He sounded serious, and looked like a professional. I meant to snap a picture of the "Welcome [whoever] banner", but forgot.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Ad Blocker - even when I turn off Ad Blocker, it pops up again blocking me.

But MAYBE the guy was explaining the "theory" so he could debunk it.

Didn't sound like anything I had ever heard before, so I was pretty suspicious where he even got that notion.

Comment

If that were true then you know Slick Willy would have gone for a third term.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              If that were true then you know Slick Willy would have gone for a third term.
              EGGzackly what I was thinking. Who comes up with this stuff?

One source said it started as a joke, then began to be seriously refuted as a rumor, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                He sounded serious, and looked like a professional. I meant to snap a picture of the "Welcome [whoever] banner", but forgot.
                My uncle told me the same thing about impeachment recently, sounded like a joke, but wasn't sure.

Comment

Trump has publicly tweeted that he deserves additional time to make up for the impeachment. His advisors claim he's joking, but many observers wonder if it's a trial balloon for trying to run for a third time given the frequency of him bringing it up.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I've seen this discussed on FB but can't follow the reasoning. The closest I got was that it was stated in the Constitution.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      I've seen this discussed on FB but can't follow the reasoning. The closest I got was that it was stated in the Constitution.
                      Yeah, I think I found somewhere that it comes from a football penalty rule, and somebody was trying to apply it to impeachment, and it got out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yeah, I think I found somewhere that it comes from a football penalty rule, and somebody was trying to apply it to impeachment, and it got out of hand.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Trump has publicly tweeted that he deserves additional time to make up for the impeachment. His advisors claim he's joking, but many observers wonder if it's a trial balloon for trying to run for a third time given the frequency of him bringing it up.
                          Of course he's joking.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Of course he's joking.
                            Just like he was joking when he called for the Russians to find the emails, etc..... the liberals absolutely freak out when Trump pulls their chain.

Comment