Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

“We’re losing our [durn] minds”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “We’re losing our [durn] minds”

“We’re losing our damn minds”

I've always enjoyed Carville - he's witty and honest and to the point, and can be quite entertaining.

He seems to be quite concerned, however, with the Democratic Party...

Warning - Carville can be quite.. .um... 'colorful' with language - link contains profanity

James Carville is “scared to death” of the November 2020 election.

In a rant on MSNBC that went viral on Tuesday evening, the longtime Democratic strategist vented his concerns about the party’s prospects for beating Donald Trump, taking particular aim at the party’s leftward lurch.

“Eighteen percent of the population controls 52 Senate seats,” Carville said. “We’ve got to be a majoritarian party. The urban core is not gonna get it done. What we need is power! Do you understand? That’s what this is about.”

His diatribe took place against the backdrop of an Iowa caucus that had fallen into chaos and amid a rancorous ongoing debate among Democrats over the party’s direction. He took particular aim at Sen. Bernie Sanders, who he fears could lead the party to defeat in November.

Carville’s lament distills a concern among the Democratic Party’s establishment: Will ideological purity and playing to the base cost the Democrats victory in November? For Carville, at least, “We have one moral imperative, and that’s to beat Donald Trump.” That his comments went viral speaks to the sense of urgency among Democrats, even as it only fuels the debate over the direction of the party.

I spoke with Carville this week by phone. We discussed where he thinks the Democrats went wrong, what it will take to build a majoritarian party in this climate, and why he doesn’t have a lot of confidence in the current field of candidates.

A lightly edited transcript of our conversation follows.....

And...

We have candidates on the debate stage talking about open borders and decriminalizing illegal immigration. They’re talking about doing away with nuclear energy and fracking. You’ve got Bernie Sanders talking about letting criminals and terrorists vote from jail cells. It doesn’t matter what you think about any of that, or if there are good arguments — talking about that is not how you win a national election. It’s not how you become a majoritarian party.

For [F-word]'s sake, we’ve got Trump at Davos talking about cutting Medicare and no one in the party has the sense to plaster a picture of him up there sucking up to the global elites, talking about cutting taxes for them while he’s talking about cutting Medicare back home. Jesus, this is so obvious and so easy and I don’t see any of the candidates taking advantage of it.

The Republicans have destroyed their party and turned it into a personality cult, but if anyone thinks they can’t win, they’re out of their damn minds.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I've always enjoyed Carville - he's witty and honest and to the point, and can be quite entertaining.
    I always like serpent head too...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I always like serpent head too...
      It was so fun seeing him and Mary Matalin together, and even SHE called him serpent head!

The couple had their share of disagreements Wednesday. Matalin, in particular, joked repeatedly at the expense of her husband, who was unfazed. They differed over whether girls these days are doing better in society at the expense of boys, and on the merits of President Donald Trump.

Matalin, who has been married for 25 years to the man she affectionately calls “Serpent Head,” said she takes the lead in many aspects of the relationship.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It was so fun seeing him and Mary Matalin together, and even SHE called him serpent head!
        That is where I got it... I follow politics way too much!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

He seems to be quite concerned, however, with the Democratic Party...

Warning - Carville can be quite.. .um... 'colorful' with language - link contains profanity

James Carville is “scared to death” of the November 2020 election.

In a rant on MSNBC that went viral on Tuesday evening, the longtime Democratic strategist vented his concerns about the partyÂ’s prospects for beating Donald Trump, taking particular aim at the partyÂ’s leftward lurch.

“Eighteen percent of the population controls 52 Senate seats,” Carville said. “We’ve got to be a majoritarian party. The urban core is not gonna get it done. What we need is power! Do you understand? That’s what this is about.”

His diatribe took place against the backdrop of an Iowa caucus that had fallen into chaos and amid a rancorous ongoing debate among Democrats over the partyÂ’s direction. He took particular aim at Sen. Bernie Sanders, who he fears could lead the party to defeat in November.

Carville’s lament distills a concern among the Democratic Party’s establishment: Will ideological purity and playing to the base cost the Democrats victory in November? For Carville, at least, “We have one moral imperative, and that’s to beat Donald Trump.” That his comments went viral speaks to the sense of urgency among Democrats, even as it only fuels the debate over the direction of the party.

I spoke with Carville this week by phone. We discussed where he thinks the Democrats went wrong, what it will take to build a majoritarian party in this climate, and why he doesnÂ’t have a lot of confidence in the current field of candidates.

A lightly edited transcript of our conversation follows.....

And...

We have candidates on the debate stage talking about open borders and decriminalizing illegal immigration. They’re talking about doing away with nuclear energy and fracking. You’ve got Bernie Sanders talking about letting criminals and terrorists vote from jail cells. It doesn’t matter what you think about any of that, or if there are good arguments — talking about that is not how you win a national election. It’s not how you become a majoritarian party.

For [F-word]'s sake, weÂ’ve got Trump at Davos talking about cutting Medicare and no one in the party has the sense to plaster a picture of him up there sucking up to the global elites, talking about cutting taxes for them while heÂ’s talking about cutting Medicare back home. Jesus, this is so obvious and so easy and I donÂ’t see any of the candidates taking advantage of it.

The Republicans have destroyed their party and turned it into a personality cult, but if anyone thinks they canÂ’t win, theyÂ’re out of their damn minds.
          Yep, and it's time for progressive democrats to stop worrying about what estabishment Democrats like serpent head think they should run on, and start running on what they actually believe in. Compromise is for elected officials, not for candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Yep, and it's time for progressive democrats to stop worrying about what estabishment Democrats like serpent head think they should run on, and start running on what they actually believe in. Compromise is for elected officials, not for candidates.
            RIGHT ON, brother!!!! I hope there are lots more like you out there!!! Everybody listen to JimL!!!!! Let those pinko commie leftists run on what they actually believe in, and see how many morons vote for them!

Comment

Is "majoritarian" even a word?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Is "majoritarian" even a word?
                It really ARE! And if Serpent Head said it, you can take it to the bank!

majoritarian noun
                Definition of majoritarian
                : a person who believes in or advocates majoritarianism

Comment

That's disappointing. It would have been so much more fun if he had made it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    That's disappointing. It would have been so much more fun if he had made it up.
                    Serpent Head, for all his faults, really is a smart cookie!

I think one of the most hilarious Dana Carvy skits I ever saw was him doing Serpent Head.

Comment

Serpent Head, for all his faults, really is a smart cookie!

I think one of the most hilarious Dana Carvy skits I ever saw was him doing Serpent Head.
                      He actually seems like a decent enough guy who plays a loon in front of the cameras because it makes for good TV.

Comment