Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm A Bigot

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Doesn't that seem a little bit like splitting hairs?
    Nope, if Trump was openly making out or carrying on with a mistress I would have a problem. If Buttigieg ended his relationship or at least went back into the closet I would have less of a problem with him.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

2. Amen Ronson, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    They seem okay with gay people who keep it quiet like Lindsey Graham.
    Where is your evidence that he is gay? If he is he is doing it right - keeping it in the closet.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

4. Amen Esther amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    It would pretty much make US a laughingstock, especially to countries of Eurasia (minus perhaps some EU countries that are more progressive)
    You think this guy...

TrumpHairDay.jpg

...who gets regularly laughed at and mocked in international settings, including by US allies like the UK and Canada... doesn't make the US a laughingstock?!? Here in NZ, a US ally, the local papers regularly draw cartoons mocking Trump, he's pretty much a by-word here for US stupidity and insanity and almost everyone laughs at even the mention of his name and at the US in conjunction with him.

But you think if the US has an openly gay leader like Belgium, Ireland, Serbia, Iceland and Luxembourg have had, it would make the US a laughingstock to Europe?!?

You're insane.
    Last edited by Starlight; 02-08-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    I admit it. I could never vote for this guy - based purely on optics.
    Would you be likely to vote for a different Dem nominee? Sanders seems the most likely one at this stage.

Pete's only coming 5th in national polling in the Dem primary, and does very badly with people of color, so it isn't looking particularly likely he'll be the nominee.

it would be like voting for someone who drooled all the time. Perhaps it's something that the person can't help or control,
    That's pretty much how I think about people who are anti-gay.
    Last edited by Starlight; 02-08-2020 at 04:46 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You think this guy...

TrumpHairDay.jpg

...who gets regularly laughed at and mocked in international settings, including by US allies like the UK and Canada... doesn't make the US a laughingstock?!? Here in NZ, a US ally, the local papers regularly draw cartoons mocking Trump, he's pretty much a by-word here for US stupidity and insanity and almost everyone laughs at even the mention of his name and at the US in conjunction with him.

But you think if the US has an openly gay leader like Belgium, Ireland, Serbia, Iceland and Luxembourg have had, it would make the US a laughingstock to Europe?!?

You're insane.
    Being that the US throws it's global weight around on the back of a powerful military pretense, those countries you mentioned don't have to uphold a continuous aggressive bravado against those countries of Eurasia like the US does (not saying I agree with that, but it is what it is). Countries in Eurasia, especially the middle east, don't exactly hold the same sentiments towards homosexuality as liberal white, feminist, soyboys do here in the west. It's a totally different culture.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Being that the US throws it's global weight around on the back of a powerful military pretense, those countries you mentioned don't have to uphold a continuous aggressive bravado against those countries of Eurasia like the US does (not saying I agree with that, but it is what it is).
    ...you're claiming other countries strategic assessments of US military power would change if the President were gay?!?

Countries in Eurasia, especially the middle east, don't exactly hold the same sentiments towards homosexuality as liberal white, feminist, soyboys do here in the west.
    I'm amused that you betas who pant after your 'alpha-male' Trump are so insecure you try to mock the masculinity of others.

It's a totally different culture.
    The middle east has a complex variety of cultures, and male behavior there would often be viewed as extremely 'soyboy' by Westerners. In Egypt it's common for (straight) men to hold hands walking down the street. In Lebannon it's common for (straight) men to be pretty extreme 'metrosexuals' and spend hours doing themselves up in front of a mirror. In Afghanistan male warriors commonly wear eye makeup.

The US military have been having endless issues in Afghanistan due to the local culture's endorsement of men raping boys or using them as sex-slaves, and when US soldiers have complained about it to their higher-ups they've generally been told to shut up and let their local allies follow local customs.

In large parts of the middle east, male-male sexual interactions are controlled by an honor/shame dynamic where it is considered honorably 'masculine' to be the dominant partner and shamefully 'feminine' to have a sexual act performed on you by another, so it's often easy to find men reporting having a homosexual interaction but they 100% report having taken the masculine role in it. And in other parts of the middle east, homosexuality is totally illegal. It varies.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ...you're claiming other countries strategic assessments of US military power would change if the President were gay?!?

I'm amused that you betas who pant after your 'alpha-male' Trump are so insecure you try to mock the masculinity of others.

The middle east has a complex variety of cultures, and male behavior there would often be viewed as extremely 'soyboy' by Westerners. In Egypt it's common for (straight) men to hold hands walking down the street. In Lebannon it's common for (straight) men to be pretty extreme 'metrosexuals' and spend hours doing themselves up in front of a mirror. In Afghanistan male warriors commonly wear eye makeup.

The US military have been having endless issues in Afghanistan due to the local culture's endorsement of men raping boys or using them as sex-slaves, and when US soldiers have complained about it to their higher-ups they've generally been told to shut up and let their local allies follow local customs.

In large parts of the middle east, male-male sexual interactions are controlled by an honor/shame dynamic where it is considered honorably 'masculine' to be the dominant partner and shamefully 'feminine' to have a sexual act performed on you by another, so it's often easy to find men reporting having a homosexual interaction but they 100% report having taken the masculine role in it. And in other parts of the middle east, homosexuality is totally illegal. It varies.
    I'm not talking about cultural differences of male-to-male affection, I'm talking about homosexuality, and more specifically, same-sex marriage. Your Afghanistan reference was apparently an isolated incident, because homosexuality carries the death penalty there. And though there are some Eurasian countries that appear to be "neutral," there are very few countries that actually recognize the rights of same-sex marriage:

Untitled2.jpg

So if your point is that there are some scattered rebellious counter culture groups here and there, sure, you have that in every culture, especially expected in an age influenced by information technology like ours.

ETA: I have no idea how the attachment feature works on this site, so there you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Are you more comfortable with the optics of a thrice married serial adulterer?
    Those aren't optics. I don't see photos of "thrice married" and "serial adultery" (assuming the latter is even true).

How come liberals couldn't care less about adultery when Bill Clinton was running the show? Now it's suddenly a show-stopper?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Would you be likely to vote for a different Dem nominee? Sanders seems the most likely one at this stage.
    The only Democrat I would even consider voting for is Gabbard. I think the rest are lunatics.

Pete's only coming 5th in national polling in the Dem primary, and does very badly with people of color, so it isn't looking particularly likely he'll be the nominee.

That's pretty much how I think about people who are anti-gay.
    I don't care if Buttigieg is gay, but I'd never vote for him for POTUS. It looks bad. Trump looks bad enough.

12. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm talking about homosexuality, and more specifically, same-sex marriage.
    I think how people would view/treat a President Pete Butigieg (insofar as they treat him any differently at all) would be a result of how they view homosexual behavior in their country, not a result of what the legal status of same sex marriage happens to be in their country. I don't think you're right to see same sex marriage laws as predictive of people's reaction to a gay US president.

Your Afghanistan reference was apparently an isolated incident,
    I linked articles from across 4 years about the ongoing issues US military forces in Afghanistan were/are having with the local culture of boy-rape there. I'll assume that my links were paywalled for you and you didn't read them, so here's wikipedia on the subject of boy-rape in modern Afghanistani culture:

Bacha bazi:

Bacha bāzī is a slang term in Afghanistan for a wide variety of activities involving sexual relations between older men and younger adolescent men, or boys. The practitioner is commonly called bacha baz (meaning "boy play" in Dari) or simply bach. The custom is connected to sexual slavery and child prostitution.[1] In the 21st century, Bacha Bazi is reportedly practiced in various parts of Afghanistan.[2][3][4][5][6] Force and coercion are common, and security officials state they are unable to end such practices because many of the men involved in bacha bazi-related activities are powerful and well-armed warlords.[7][8][9]

During the Afghan Civil War (19962001), bacha bazi carried the death penalty under Taliban law.[10] The practice of dancing boys is illegal under Afghan law, but the laws are seldom enforced against powerful offenders and police have reportedly been complicit in related crimes.[11][12]

A controversy arose after allegations surfaced that U.S. government forces in Afghanistan after the invasion of the country deliberately ignored bacha bazi.[13] The U.S. military justified this by claiming the abuse was largely the responsibility of the "local Afghan government."[14]

And though there are some Eurasian countries that appear to be "neutral," there are very few countries that actually recognize the rights of same-sex marriage
    Israel acknowledges same-sex marriages, and Tel Aviv is regarded as one of the most gay-friendly cities in the world. Don't you conservatives think Israel is the bestest ever?

So if your point is that there are some scattered rebellious counter culture groups here and there, sure, you have that in every culture, especially expected in an age influenced by information technology like ours.
    Various positive attitudes to homosexuality within middle eastern regions are hundreds, perhaps thousands of years old, and far predate any Western influence. In most cases, anti-gay laws passed recently in the region have been an anti-Western reaction.
    Last edited by Starlight; 02-08-2020 at 06:18 PM.