Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump Struggles With Basic Christian Teaching

Faith
    unbeliever
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Trump Struggles With Basic Christian Teaching

(Don't know if this thread is in the right place, I'm leaving it to higher authority to decide.)

I'm a non-believer and don't have any particular opinion as to what Trump represents to Christians. But nevertheless would like to know what you think of Trump's performance at the annual National Prayer Breakfast.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...954?ri18n=true

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Moments later, the president got the chance to share his thoughts out loud and he publicly wrestled with a core Christian teaching.

“Arthur, I don’t know if I agree with you,” Trump said as he took the microphone.

“As everybody knows, my family, our great country and your president have been put through a terrible ordeal by some very dishonest and corrupt people,” Trump said. “They have done everything possible to destroy us and, by so doing, very badly hurt our nation.”

The president lashed out at Utah Sen. Mitt Romney, who broke with his Republican colleagues on Wednesday by voting to convict Trump of abuse of power. The president attacked Romney for pointing to his faith as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to explain his vote.

“I don’t like people who use their faith as justification for doing what they know is wrong,” Trump said.

The president also seemed to take a jab at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), a Catholic who has said she often prays for Trump.

“Nor do I like people who say, ‘I pray for you,’ when they know that that’s not so,” Trump said.

Near the end of his speech, the president appeared to return to Brooks’ challenge to “love your enemies,” pointing out that religious people are sometimes guilty of hate.

“I’m sorry. I apologize. I’m trying to learn. It’s not easy. It’s not easy,” he said, prompting laughter in the audience. “When they impeach you for nothing, then you’re supposed to like them? It’s not easy, folks. I do my best.”

That comes across as someone being honest about their own feelings, weaknesses and failings. I'd be more concerned if he insincerely said he was praying regularly, 'with the love of God in his heart' for Pelosi et al.

I don't know anyone who manages to 100% live up to what Jesus taught. But I do know that Jesus called us to follow Him - it's a journey and an adventure, with all the ups and downs that come with that.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

3. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    IF Trump is a Christian - and I don't know if he is or not - he would be a NEW Christian. Mocking him for "struggling with basic Christian teachings" would be like mocking a 2 year old for not being able to read.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

5. Amen RumTumTugger, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by little_monkey View Post
    I'm a non-believer and don't have any particular opinion as to what Trump represents to Christians.
    To some, he's the devil incarnate. To others (like me), he's just the guy who happens to be president for now and will eventually be replaced by someone else who will probably be hated by those who affiliate themselves with the opposing party. Certainly nobody is looking to President Trump for spiritual guidance.

That said, any Christian who claims that he does not struggle with some aspect of his faith is a liar.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And, for the record, I really hate it that Trump brought politics into the National Prayer Breakfast like he did.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

8. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not comfortable with using the Prayer Breakfast for some of the rhetoric he used, but I think his closing apology was good. I'm actually surprised by it.

Frankly, I have to force myself to believe that Pelosi isn't lying when she says she prays for him (in any kind of good way).
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I'm not comfortable with using the Prayer Breakfast for some of the rhetoric he used, but I think his closing apology was good. I'm actually surprised by it.

Frankly, I have to force myself to believe that Pelosi isn't lying when she says she prays for him (in any kind of good way).
    Yeah, I think her conduct, particularly of late, pretty much makes it difficult to believe she prays for him as the Bible instructs.

11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    IF Trump is a Christian - and I don't know if he is or not - he would be a NEW Christian. Mocking him for "struggling with basic Christian teachings" would be like mocking a 2 year old for not being able to read.
    Trump is a chr-ino who will feign to be whatever you need him to be in order to gain power. I think you're all smart enough to know that, so why the feigning ignorance.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Trump is a chr-ino who will feign to be whatever you need him to be in order to gain power.
    You're cute. I don't know if he's a Christian or not, Jim, but I never allowed that to be a basis for decisions I've made about him.

I think you're all smart enough to know that, so why the feigning ignorance.
    And, once again, you suck at mind reading. Good thing you don't depend on it for a living.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    Trump is a chr-ino who will feign to be whatever you need him to be in order to gain power. I think you're all smart enough to know that, so why the feigning ignorance.
    Leave the trolling to those like firstfloor who at least exhibit some intelligence and wit. You're not smart enough to pull it off.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

15. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.